Apparently the offense is holding Tyrod back

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

You haven't offered any knowledge.

But saying a QB who finished 7th out of 130 teams in yards per attempt, 7th in passer rating, and whose offense finished 10th in the country in points per game compared to 100th this season after he left "never elevated his offense" is enough proof that you don't know what you're talking about.

So you're not considering the offensive scheme being predicated on the run or the fact that he never threw for more than 2,800 yards? 

He was a cog in the offense he didn't elevate that team at all. To think anything different is absurd. QBs who elevate their offense don't get drafted in the 5th round. 

Edited by Theshallowcross

18 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Haha you're so full of ****.

Wayne, be cool man. Getting the last word in with content like that isn't cool. You're a prolific poster, know football, fun to argue with, but stop creating animosity lol. Granted I'm new here and pretty drunk so take it with a grain of salt.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

So you're not considering the offensive scheme being predicated on the run or the fact that he never threw for more than 2,800 yards? 

He was a cog in the offense he didn't elevate that team at all. To think anything different is absurd. QBs who elevate their offense don't get drafted in the 5th round. 

So Tyrod didn't elevate the VIrginia Tech offense? Brady didn't elevate the Michigan offense? The list is miles long of great college quarterbacks who were never drafted. Your statement is what is absurd.

4 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

How so? I still haven't heard you explain my lack of knowledge for college scheme. 

Again Taylor is a Dual-threat QB. He ran the ball 501 times at Virginia Tech. 

I don't understand yet again why his rushing ability isn't considered? 

Tyrod did have more pass attempts his senior year (315) than did Peterman in either year (313 + 306) at Pitt.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

So Tyrod didn't elevate the VIrginia Tech offense? Brady didn't elevate the Michigan offense? The list is miles long of great college quarterbacks who were never drafted. Your statement is what is absurd.

Tyrod did which is why he was a 4 year starter. But we're talking about Peterman. Apparently you're trying to sell me on the fact that he was soke. Mythical football God in college even though his coach barely let him throw the ball. 

1 minute ago, PeterGriffin said:

Tyrod did have more pass attempts his senior year (315) than did Peterman in either year (313 + 306) at Pitt.

TYROD IS SEVERAL YEARS IN TO AN NFL CAREER. He's shown mediocrity at worse. Peterman has shown the most negative impact possible in the game. This thread isn't remotely about Peterman vs Tyrod in college.

1 minute ago, PeterGriffin said:

Wasn't exactly put in a good situation, ya think?

A good situation?? THIS IS THE NFL. PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES. His job as a backup is to go into any situation and not throw 5 picks. Tyrod's put in that situation week in week out. Let me know next time we play a cupcake at home and Peterman is thrown in a good situation.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I remember when people were saying that about our rushing offense after the 2015 season.... it got better. 

I never hear about it, but does anybody wish we had considered Anthony Lynn? If Wayne wants "sustainable" offense, there's your answer.

Not that I missed Lynn at the time. But I do now.

I think the article makes some good points, but there are some half truths and presumptions lurking within its paragraphs too.  Essentially, the article maintains that all but the worst QBs can succeed in the NFL.  It states that all but the worst and best QBs are system QBs.  The worst ones, everyone presumes is doomed to fail and the best ones can succeed with any offense, but the large group in between has to have the right offense for him to succeed.  He gives several examples that seem to bear this out Jared Goff and Case Keenum are having banner years despite having had miserable seasons a year ago when bother were on the same team (the Rams).  The Rams let Keenum go.  He was picked up by Minnesota.  They kept Goff as a #1 overall draft pick, but dumped their coaching staff (Jeff Fisher - running a "stodgy, outdated old 90's style ball control offense).  

Tyrod is mentioned as a QB currently stuck in a system that does not work for him.  That might be true, but it might not be too.  The problem is we haven't seen the system where he can really flourish.  Tyrod has been OK at times, both under Greg Roman.Anthony Lynn and under Rick Dennison, but he has never set the league on fire.  Until he does you can't say as a set in stone fact that all he needs is the right system.  Tell me what that system is.  My concern is alway that when you have a QB with a significantly limited skill set, as Tyrod has, (limited ability to make quick and accurate reads and a reluctance to throw timing passes where the receiver is supposed to get open after the ball leaves the QB's hand) it's too easy for a good defense to take away the limited things that Tyrod does well.  "We made him play QB."  I want my QB to be well rounded enough so that when the opposing defense takes away something, my QB can hurt them with something else.  Someone please prove to me that Tyrod can do that, because I don't see it.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I never hear about it, but does anybody wish we had considered Anthony Lynn? If Wayne wants "sustainable" offense, there's your answer.

Not that I missed Lynn at the time. But I do now.

I swear I'm not trying to be "that guy" lolol but if you search my post history I've brought that up multiple times. 

I wanted it to be Lynn and just assumed it was going to be Lynn.... Until it wasn't. The continuity he would have brought back to the offense and his scheme in general were the reason I thought for sure he'd get the job. He also said he and Gus Bradley were a packaged deal which would've meant the defense would've still switched to a 43 base and we would've essentially played the same zone scheme that McD runs now. 

Would've loved it. 

Edited by Theshallowcross

8 hours ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

So ... one sentence? All opinion, without bothering with any of that inconvenient evidence, logic or separating Tyrod's situation from the situations of guys like ? Got it.

That writer would fit in well here.

I like Tanier overall, but assuming that the situation is making Goff and Wentz is ignoring the obvious, that plenty of young QBs suck big-time in their first year and improve a great deal in their second as they begin to understand what goes on around them. Same thing for many young QBs he's talking about here ... the second year is often a time when there is huge improvement, but the third and fourth years often see lights coming on for guys who will make it as franchise guys in the NFL.

Of course the surrounding players and systems will affect QB performance. It goes without saying. But the best QBs still show advanced skillsets and abilities even in poorer situations. Their overall numbers can fall and they might not look as good, but they still show advanced abilities. Same with guys who don't have the talents. Put a Trent Dilfer in one of the best situations in NFL history and he still looks like a guy who will never be a franchise QB, which is why the Ravens dumped him in the offseason in the year after the SB, an unheard of move for a QB on a team that won the SB.

If the system defines the QB, how come Osweiler's not one of the best in the league? He had a great situation in Texas. Tom Savage must be terrific!!!!! After all, he's in the same situation that DeShaun Watson looked great in. Savage must be excellent because he's in a good situation.

Tyrod's situation has been different year to year. Problem is, he's still Tyrod. He is what he is.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:
3 hours ago, Theshallowcross said:

Tyrod did which is why he was a 4 year starter. But we're talking about Peterman. Apparently you're trying to sell me on the fact that he was soke. Mythical football God in college even though his coach barely let him throw the ball. 

If you can say that Peterman's coach barely let him throw the ball, the same is even more true of Tyrod. Peterman's college high of attempts in a season is higher than any of Tyrod's college years. 

Peterman's career was about as impressive to the NFL as Tyrod's. That's why Tyrod was chosen in the 6th round and Peterman in the 5th.

As for early performance, in Tyrod's first four NFL years, he went 19 for 35 for 199 yards, 0 TDs and 2 INTs. Passer rating of 47.2.

Peterman has gone 13 for 28 for 145 yards, 1 TD and 5 INTs and a passer rating of 34.6.

Both of those are wretched. Worth noting that Tyrod in his first year threw one NFL pass. He had more time to think and get used to defenses and the NFL game. Also worth remembering that 3 of those 5 Peterman INTs came as a result of a WR serving up a tip on a pretty good pass and twice being hit as he threw. No excuse for the other two, though. Bottom line is that both guys were pretty awful early. Wanna insult Peterman for that? You ought to look at Tyrod's results and insult him as well.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, Theshallowcross said:

They hardly let the kid throw can we stop pretending that he is a good player? 

Again, Peterman's season high as a collegian was 193 throws. Tyrod never threw that many. Peterman's second-highest total, 185, was higher than all but one of Tyrod's college seasons. So if it's true that we should mark Peterman down as an impossible chance, clearly Tyrod had the exact same 

Your desperation to do the impossible - proving that when a guy has thrown less than 30 NFL balls, all of them as a rookie, that you can know his future and what he will become - is palpable and is leading you to make poor observations.

Tyrod threw 495 passes in his four years of college. Peterman threw 398. They are extremely comparable. But Tyrod's second-highest number of throws was 136.

Peterman college attempts over four seasons: 10, 10, 193, 185

Tyrod college attempts over four seasons: 72, 99, 136, 188

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, Theshallowcross said:

You can't be serious about Peterman. He is quite literally the worst QB statistically in one half of a game all time. There is nothing else to see there. 

You do realize Taylor was the backup to a Super Bowl winning QB? That's why he wasn't playing. I mean you do understand that right? 

He's not serious.  SaviorPeterman is nothing more than an awfully boring troll who has been at it for more than a decade.  Seriously, that is not hyperbole.  Back in 2007 on the BBMB he had the same avatar (but with Trent) and same schtick.  Several games after Trent got his clock cleaned and truly became Trentative, Savior would start threads like "Despite our franchise quarterback having a bad game..."

I think the only reason people take him seriously is that his trolling is so subtle that it's too boring for many to notice.  He'll keep it up though, that's absolutely guaranteed.

Edited by Hurricane Marv
  • Like (+1) 1