Still a lot of hating on McDermott after a win...

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

I prefer to think of it as a learning experience. We’ve done enough “quick firing” in recent decades. Maybe we wait and see how it plays out? 

And I prefer reality to myth.

• Wade Phillips was here 3 years before he was forced out by Wilson (1998-2000)
  • Gregg Williams was here 3 years and his contract was not renewed (2001-2003)
  • Mike Mularkey was here for 2 years before resigning. (2004-2005)
  • Dick Jauron was fired in his fourth year after having his contract renewed in 2008. (2006-2009)
  • Perry Fewell was the interim HC who took over from Jauron. (2009)
  • Chan Gailey was HC for 3 years.  He may have been fired or just didn't have his contract renewed.  (2010-2012)
  • Doug Marrone was HC for 2 years.  He chose to quit, probably after losing a power struggle with Doug Whaley. (2013-2014)
  • Rex Ryan was the only regular HC who was fired after less than 2 full seasons on the job. 

10 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Everyone knows the path to success is to fire your staff every year they don't make the playoffs, continuity and planning are overrated :P

Again, see above.   The Bills haven't gone around firing their coaching staffs because they didn't make the playoffs.  Ryan was fired because he was an incompetent buffoon who made promises he couldn't keep and used the team payroll as a feeding trough for his family and friends.  He deserved the boot.  In hindsight, perhaps the Bills should have tried harder to keep Marrone and even Mularkey.  Both seem to have turned out to be decent NFL HCs.

3 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

To repeat SoTier, I challenge you to give me a single precedent for a move like that. And if it exists did it work? And no, Tom Brady and Kaepernick don't count, they were relieving injured QBs. 

That's not a learning experience, that is utter incompetence.

I think you misread/misinterpreted  my statement.  I meant that no HC had ever tried it before.   IMO, it's ludicrous to think an NFL HC woud consider it since it's totally out of character because like players, they're conditioned to always try to win.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

The only reason this team had such a low preseason projection was because the same Coach and GM that you speak so highly of gutted the roster of all the best players. 

\And yet they're on pace to beat the record of last year's team....

without any of the "best players."

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

Who has this franchise "quick fired"? The answer is literally no one (not as far as Head Coaches are concerned). Nothing States that you have to commit to someone for multiple years, especially if that guy has proven that he is incompetent or flat out not ready for his position. 

McD has yet to prove that he has any idea what he is actually doing. From gutting the roster of the most talented players to his horrendous hires for his assistant coaches to his lack of in game management. The benching of Taylor at 5-4 was the most astounding. Especially using hindsight. 

If this team misses the playoffs by 1 game, the pitchforks and torches should be out in full force. 

I didn’t mention anything as a “fireable offense” eleven games into a regime. That’s all I was referring to. I prefer a positive point of view, and “learning experience” is the way I will view this. 

5 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

The only reason this team had such a low preseason projection was because the same Coach and GM that you speak so highly of gutted the roster of all the best players. 

I'd be happy to wax philosophical about the failings of the current regime of which there have already been many in their short time in charge. 

Just to be clear, that would be the regime that has the team in a playoff spot currently, correct?

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

And I prefer reality to myth.

• Wade Phillips was here 3 years before he was forced out by Wilson (1998-2000)
  • Gregg Williams was here 3 years and his contract was not renewed (2001-2003)
  • Mike Mularkey was here for 2 years before resigning. (2004-2005)
  • Dick Jauron was fired in his fourth year after having his contract renewed in 2008. (2006-2009)
  • Perry Fewell was the interim HC who took over from Jauron. (2009)
  • Chan Gailey was HC for 3 years.  He may have been fired or just didn't have his contract renewed.  (2010-2012)
  • Doug Marrone was HC for 2 years.  He chose to quit, probably after losing a power struggle with Doug Whaley. (2013-2014)
  • Rex Ryan was the only regular HC who was fired after less than 2 full seasons on the job. 

Again, see above.   The Bills haven't gone around firing their coaching staffs because they didn't make the playoffs.  Ryan was fired because he was an incompetent buffoon who made promises he couldn't keep and used the team payroll as a feeding trough for his family and friends.  He deserved the boot.  In hindsight, perhaps the Bills should have tried harder to keep Marrone and even Mularkey.  Both seem to have turned out to be decent NFL HCs.

I think you misread/misinterpreted  my statement.  I meant that no HC had ever tried it before.   IMO, it's ludicrous to think an NFL HC woud consider it since it's totally out of character because like players, they're conditioned to always try to win.  

I often wonder what would have happened if Mularkey had stayed.  As I recall, he left when Marv came in as GM because he was worried Marv would take over his job.  Thought he might have been the long term answer.

then again, with Marv trying to be a GM don't know if anyone would have succeeded as HC.

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

No sorry, I'm quoting you to help prove a point to the other dude. No precedence because it's patently stupid.

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Sure Lynn would have.  Because you think so, right?  Or perhaps you have no clue.

Like any coach McD makes good and bad decisions.  Yesterday the three running plays were to me ridiculous.  But it worked out.  The call for Peterman was as he said a calculated risk, and it did not work.  But they also have put together pretty solid defensive schemes overall.  And while you refuse to admit it, this team was not expected to do squat and he has them in the top six in the conference.

We finally have a HC and GM totally in synch and with a plan, and you want to fire the HC.  Well then, fire Marrone for his call yesterday.  Carroll for his bad decision the week before.  Give me enough time and I'll make a case to fire every current HC based on a decision made this year that did not pan out.

Tell me the last time a HC made a "calculated risk" in this situation with a quarterback who has led us to the playoff hunt for a late round rookie. McDermott needs to recognize precedence.

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Sure Lynn would have.  Because you think so, right?  Or perhaps you have no clue.

Like any coach McD makes good and bad decisions.  Yesterday the three running plays were to me ridiculous.  But it worked out.  The call for Peterman was as he said a calculated risk, and it did not work.  But they also have put together pretty solid defensive schemes overall.  And while you refuse to admit it, this team was not expected to do squat and he has them in the top six in the conference.

We finally have a HC and GM totally in synch and with a plan, and you want to fire the HC.  Well then, fire Marrone for his call yesterday.  Carroll for his bad decision the week before.  Give me enough time and I'll make a case to fire every current HC based on a decision made this year that did not pan out.

And what, exactly, is that plan?  How exactly does a team rebuild by shedding younger, talented players and keeping/acquiring older players who spent their careers as backups or STers?  

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Just to be clear, that would be the regime that has the team in a playoff spot currently, correct?

The teams we've beat have a combined 29-37 record. Only 2 of those teams have a winning record currently (Falcons and Chiefs). 

If we didn't have a QB that was as good as Taylor is, we would be the team everyone projected us to be in the preseason. 

Just now, SoTier said:

And what, exactly, is that plan?  How exactly does a team rebuild by shedding younger, talented players and keeping/acquiring older players who spent their careers as backups or STers?  

Just now, SoTier said:

Well, first of all clearing out from under big contracts with players not earning the dollars.  And yes I mean Dareus.  Trading other players that they did not feel fit the team.  Darby and Watkins.l (and I have said repeatedly I would not have traded Watkins).  And trading guys that simply didn't fit their style of play like Ragland.

in return they got some good players like Gaines and Matthews.  They have a lot of picks.  And Beane has put together a group of experienced personnel guys to hopefully take advantage.

They l have said repeatedly they have short and long term goals.  Short term they have a shot at the playoffs this year.  Long term they are in position to either add a lot of players through the draft or use the ammunition to get a QB.  They'll also have more cap space as things go forward for the FA market.

That answer your question?

8 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

The teams we've beat have a combined 29-37 record. Only 2 of those teams have a winning record currently (Falcons and Chiefs). 

If we didn't have a QB that was as good as Taylor is, we would be the team everyone projected us to be in the preseason. 

I'm sorry.  Should those victories not count as victories.  Maybe only 3/4 of a victory?

18 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

No sorry, I'm quoting you to help prove a point to the other dude. No precedence because it's patently stupid.

Tell me the last time a HC made a "calculated risk" in this situation with a quarterback who has led us to the playoff hunt for a late round rookie. McDermott needs to recognize precedence.

Precedence means squat.  You coach your team and make decisions based on what you see in your team at the time.  I like TT myself, but he had a terrible day against the Saints and the thought was Peterman would run the offense better.  They gave him a shot, didn't work, and thus back to Taylor.

if they miss the playoffs by a game McD knows that he'll get roasted over it.  And such is the life of an NFL coach.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Well, first of all clearing out from under big contracts with players not earning the dollars.  And yes I mean Dareus.  Trading other players that they did not feel fit the team.  Darby and Watkins.l (and I have said repeatedly I would not have traded Watkins).  And trading guys that simply didn't fit their style of play like Ragland.

in return they got some good players like Gaines and Matthews.  They have a lot of picks.  And Beane has put together a group of experienced personnel guys to hopefully take advantage.

They l have said repeatedly they have short and long term goals.  Short term they have a shot at the playoffs this year.  Long term they are in position to either add a lot of players through the draft or use the ammunition to get a QB.  They'll also have more cap space as things go forward for the FA market.

That answer your question?

I'm sorry.  Should those victories not count as victories.  Maybe only 3/4 of a victory?

Precedence means squat.  You coach your team and make decisions based on what you see in your team at the time.  I like TT myself, but he had a terrible day against the Saints and the thought was Peterman would run the offense better.  They gave him a shot, didn't work, and thus back to Taylor.

if they miss the playoffs by a game McD knows that he'll get roasted over it.  And such is the life of an NFL coach.

Knowing precedence means knowing how modern football works. Why do coaches not throw in late round rookies on the road with a winning record? Because rookies are increasingly unprepared for the NFL. This has never happened before because McDermott was the first coach dumb enough to pull the stunt.

Here's precedence: Tyrod almost always rebounds from bad games.

So to Joesixpack: There's still a lot of hate for McDermott because he jeopardized our playoff chances. As Oldman puts it, I don't want a coach that "will get roasted" if they miss the playoffs by one game. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, joesixpack said:

What's going on here? Could it be the anti-agenda people having agendas after all?

:lol:

Like it or not, he had the team ready to play yesterday.

We beat teams that are complete, utter, total, garbage.

Chiefs are a tire fire right now and we barely got em. Let's be real. 6-6 is 100% happening, this coach couldn't dream of beating the Pats. Not a chance in this universe. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Knowing precedence means knowing how modern football works. Why do coaches not throw in late round rookies on the road with a winning record? Because rookies are increasingly unprepared for the NFL. This has never happened before because McDermott was the first coach dumb enough to pull the stunt.

Here's precedence: Tyrod almost always rebounds from bad games.

So to Joesixpack: There's still a lot of hate for McDermott because he jeopardized our playoff chances. As Oldman puts it, I don't want a coach that "will get roasted" if they miss the playoffs by one game. 

I don't wan to play revolving doors with coaches. Rex was understandable as he had a history at the HC position.  McD made one bad decision for a team no one expected to be where they are right now.

You like precedence.  Prevednce says you don't fire a HC after his first year.

7 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

We beat teams that are complete, utter, total, garbage.

Chiefs are a tire fire right now and we barely got em. Let's be real. 6-6 is 100% happening, this coach couldn't dream of beating the Pats. Not a chance in this universe. 

Is this the team version of s garbage time post?