Pass protection problems on the right side of the O-line

Jerry Jabber

One thing that got magnified in yesterday's disaster was how terrible pass protection looked on the right side of the line. Taylor's mobility/escape-ability has masked this problem all season long. I'm curious to know if Ryan Groy and John Miller are worse options at RG instead of Vlad Ducasse and if Seantrel Henderson is a worse option at RT instead of Johnathan Mills? Ducasse and Mills have been horrible all year long and it seems both of their jobs have been safe.

26 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

One thing that got magnified in yesterday's disaster was how terrible pass protection looked on the right side of the line. Taylor's mobility/escape-ability has masked this problem all season long. I'm curious to know if Ryan Groy and John Miller are worse options at RG instead of Vlad Ducasse and if Seantrel Henderson is a worse option at RT instead of Johnathan Mills? Ducasse and Mills have been horrible all year long and it seems both of their jobs have been safe.

I have been saying for the last 3 seasons that our line sucks but its bigger than the right side, Ritchie has one year left, Glenn can't stay healthy and we are ok with woods because we have Groy, TT is bad but he is masking the issues on the line, we need to draft or sign a RT, RG, LT, LG, ML, DT before we even think of drafting a QB, its a shame because they are going to go back to TT, he is going to hide the line issues and they will draft another qb who will get killed. Have the best line in the league and just about any decent QB can be a franchise, look at Dallas and Philly, please fix the line

Edited by 13player

3 minutes ago, 13player said:

I have been saying for the last 3 seasons that our line sucks but its bigger than the right side, Ritchie has one year left, Glenn can't stay healthy and we are ok with woods because we have Groy, TT is bad but he is masking the issues on the line, we need to draft or sign a RT, RG, LT, LG, ML, DT before we even think of drafting a QB, its a shame because they are going to go back to TT, he is going to hide the line issues and they will draft another qb who will get killed. Have the best line in the league and just about any decent QB can be a franchise, look at Dallas and Philly, please fix the line

The entire line is awful....

37 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

This entire Oline is a joke. Dawkins got owned by Boss. Richie and Eric are done. Mills & Duc are not even qualified for arena football. It doesn't matter who plays qb, they will look terrible behind this disgraceful excuse for offensive lineman. 

53 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Without a question - we have two players who are not starting on other teams in Ducasse and Mills. Wood/Incognito are aging and are certainly not youthful/good enough at this point to make up for and entire lack of a right side to the OL. Ritchie can play but not at the level he's been graded at the past few seasons with us; the season is becoming longer for a lot of guys on this team. 

LT, I just don't know. We're paying Glenn a good contract to be hurt a lot and Dawkins looks more interior than LT to me. We desperately need Dawkins to develop into a starting OL player so we don't have to sink a ton of picks into our line. But as it stands we desperately need 2-3 new OL's of starting caliber. It just demonstrates what a draft need the OL is, and exactly how long it will be until we see a January contender in Buffalo.

Revamp our OL and Front 7 on D. 

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This entire Oline is a joke. Dawkins got owned by Boss. Richie and Eric are done. Mills & Duc are not even qualified for arena football. It doesn't matter who plays qb, they will look terrible behind this disgraceful excuse for offensive lineman. 

To me it looks like they are platooning Dawkins just to eventually replace Glenn, instead of saying - well we've got two guys at Tackle that can start so that we don't have to start Mills.  Castillo is a historically bad OLine coach, so you can probably place some credit on his coaching finally taking hold.

54 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Without a question - we have two players who are not starting on other teams in Ducasse and Mills. Wood/Incognito are aging and are certainly not youthful/good enough at this point to make up for and entire lack of a right side to the OL. Ritchie can play but not at the level he's been graded at the past few seasons with us; the season is becoming longer for a lot of guys on this team. 

LT, I just don't know. We're paying Glenn a good contract to be hurt a lot and Dawkins looks more interior than LT to me. We desperately need Dawkins to develop into a starting OL player so we don't have to sink a ton of picks into our line. But as it stands we desperately need 2-3 new OL's of starting caliber. It just demonstrates what a draft need the OL is, and exactly how long it will be until we see a January contender in Buffalo.

Revamp our OL and Front 7 on D. 

I agree 100% If Dennison is going to comtinue on as the OC and use his West Coast offense, then the Bills will need a good O-line that can pass protect. I also agree the front 7 on defense needs to be revamped. The Bills D can barely get any pressure on the QB and our LB's can't cover anyone. 

7 hours ago, Ayjent said:

To me it looks like they are platooning Dawkins just to eventually replace Glenn, instead of saying - well we've got two guys at Tackle that can start so that we don't have to start Mills.  Castillo is a historically bad OLine coach, so you can probably place some credit on his coaching finally taking hold.

Good points. I don’t get why the coaches haven’t tried Dawkins at RT when Glenn has been in the lineup. 

32 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Good points. I don’t get why the coaches haven’t tried Dawkins at RT when Glenn has been in the lineup. 

Same reason left handed pitchers don't throw right handed in baseball...