Theory--starting Peterman more about the defense than anything

dave mcbride

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They really need Coleman to become one of those rags to riches stories........like morph into Snax 2.0.   Longshot but stranger things......

Yeah, but you kinda need a Rex to get through to a guy like that. It's one of the things he was good at (although it didn't work with Enemkpali) ...

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

By *all* accounts, there will be multiple first-round caliber qbs next year. 

Well, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, RG III, Brandon Weeden, and EJ Manuel were by "all accounts" first round caliber QBs in their draft classes, too, but they didn't play like it on the field.  I believe that most of them are out of the league now.   Brian Bortles, the #3 pick in 2014, looks set to follow their trail.  A lot of these QBs that get taken in the first round are the products of high-powered college programs and/or their agents' hype machines.  With most colleges no longer using pro-style offenses, it's even harder to separate the pretenders from the contenders because even scouts have to guess if some of these QBs would be effective doing the things pro QBs are expected to do. 

IMO, if there's a young QB you really like, maybe you ought to take him even if you already have a serviceable QB as a starter.  The Bills passed on Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins in 2012 because they had Ryan Fitzpatrick (also because Wilson is short and Cousins is slight).  They passed on Watson and Mahomes in 2017 because they had Taylor even though they weren't sure about him -- and because they were in desperate need of a DB after allowing Gilmore to walk.   This is part of a bigger issue than just about QBs; the Bills have simply not planned for the future essentially since Polian left.  When they lose players to retirement or injury or to their own stubborn refusal to pay market rate for outstanding players, they have to scramble to fill that hole with either a rookie or a journeyman FA because they never develop their own players.  They're always running behind, so all positions are impacted, but probably none so much as the QB position. 

With all that said, does anybody really believe that they won't take a first round QB in 2018?  Not me.  I said back in September that they were going to jettison Taylor and draft a rookie in the first round, and everything continues to point in that direction.

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Well, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, RG III, Brandon Weeden, and EJ Manuel were by "all accounts" first round caliber QBs in their draft classes, too, but they didn't play like it on the field.  I believe that most of them are out of the league now.   Brian Bortles, the #3 pick in 2014, looks set to follow their trail.  A lot of these QBs that get taken in the first round are the products of high-powered college programs and/or their agents' hype machines.  With most colleges no longer using pro-style offenses, it's even harder to separate the pretenders from the contenders because even scouts have to guess if some of these QBs would be effective doing the things pro QBs are expected to do. 

IMO, if there's a young QB you really like, maybe you ought to take him even if you already have a serviceable QB as a starter.  The Bills passed on Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins in 2012 because they had Ryan Fitzpatrick (also because Wilson is short and Cousins is slight).  They passed on Watson and Mahomes in 2017 because they had Taylor even though they weren't sure about him -- and because they were in desperate need of a DB after allowing Gilmore to walk.   This is part of a bigger issue than just about QBs; the Bills have simply not planned for the future essentially since Polian left.  When they lose players to retirement or injury or to their own stubborn refusal to pay market rate for outstanding players, they have to scramble to fill that hole with either a rookie or a journeyman FA because they never develop their own players.  They're always running behind, so all positions are impacted, but probably none so much as the QB position. 

With all that said, does anybody really believe that they won't take a first round QB in 2018?  Not me.  I said back in September that they were going to jettison Taylor and draft a rookie in the first round, and everything continues to point in that direction.

EJ was not by "all" accounts a first round pick -- at all.  Rosen and Darnold, on the other hand, are not late bloomers - they have been touted as first rounders long before their final college seasons. The same can't be said about most of the people you mention above (especially players like Weeden and Ponder). Locker, and RG III are the only ones. And let's not forget that RG III did have arguably the best rookie season for a qb in league history. 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

EJ was not by "all" accounts a first round pick -- at all.  Rosen and Darnold, on the other hand, are not late bloomers - they have been touted as first rounders long before their final college seasons. The same can't be said about most of the people you mention above. Locker is the only one. 

Who the hell cares what some draft analyst or media expert claims about players?   If every single one of the first round picks he touts in a particular draft busts, who the hell remembers a few years down the road?   If pro evaluators miss on too many top picks, they're out the door, so I'll go with the pros' evaluations of most of those failed QBs.

3 hours ago, JM2009 said:

This is not true for the agenda people. Which you and others are a part of. That is the problem here. The five wins your group was absent in here for the most part And it was noticed.

You are a total head case. 

Back to ignoring this ignorance 

I tried to include you back into the discussions but you proved once agin it is a lost cause.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

3 hours ago, JM2009 said:

Another one worrying about advancing after 17 years of this. The agenda people didn't want TT to be the QB that was part of ending it. The plan is to draft a QB next draft no matter what had TT did.

serious question. don't you think posting about them, constantly, nearly every post calling them out as crusading and having an agenda is not crusading and having an agenda as well?

I'm guilty of getting involved some, not every day or every post but some.  yet I'm also discussing football for the most part here. maybe if you just overlooked it, skimmed over those posts and didn't take it so personal, you might find it to be a much better place to discuss football, no?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

My question is this...

Which would score more points?  A Peterman led Dennison offense or a Tyrod led Roman offense?

The way we used Tyrod last year was ideal for his skill set.  Not only did  Tyrod gain a lot of yards on the ground, the threat of his running helped our backs lead the NFL in rushing.  More importantly. we scored a lot of points.

Instead of running a similar offensive system, Rico put Tyrod in a different kind of offense that hasn't been productive.  So now instead of switching offenses he's switching QBs.   

Peterman might be the next-coming of Brett Favre as Micah suggests.  Maybe Peterman's looked so good in practice that they just couldn't sit him anymore.  But Rico's decision making has been interesting.  

What a bothers me the most is we had something that worked and we dumped it. AGAIN. 

9 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

My question is this...

Which would score more points?  A Peterman led Dennison offense or a Tyrod led Roman offense?

The way we used Tyrod last year was ideal for his skill set.  Not only did  Tyrod gain a lot of yards on the ground, the threat of his running helped our backs lead the NFL in rushing.  More importantly. we scored a lot of points.

Instead of running a similar offensive system, Rico put Tyrod in a different kind of offense that hasn't been productive.  So now instead of switching offenses he's switching QBs.   

Peterman might be the next-coming of Brett Favre as Micah suggests.  Maybe Peterman's looked so good in practice that they just couldn't sit him anymore.  But Rico's decision making has been interesting.  

we don't know yet. taylor struggled with it, the kid seemed to fit?

you can't score points with all the 3 n outs keeping the defense on the field wearing their ass out. I realize the past taylor led offense under romans scheme scrored and ranked much higher than a dennison taylor led offense but could that be taylor is just not a good fit and was not able to adjust? should dennison adjusted to him while the kids in the stable and they have an idea he could? the anticipation to see if that happens is growing for sure.

peterman, from the little seen of him, seems to be in control and may be the fit necessary to sustain drives and scoring points, best case scenario of course. unless some are expecting the same 3 n out offense with the kid under center? I just don't see it, I believe he's going to move the offense?

it just might be they decided to try and salvage the season sitting at 5-4 and must know more than anyone else in believing the kid will be the better fit. yes preseason, yes garbage time yet it was the plays and how he made them.

he looks the part, we'll soon find out. 

10 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Back to the topic at hand: watching the Steelers tonight, it is abundantly clear how little talent the Bills have. The Steelers are loaded, but TN has a lot more talent than the Bills too.

Now that it appears Nate will pass the ball maybe we will see how much talent we have with ball catches.  

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:13 AM, ScottLaw said:

He played horrible.... last week.

Outside of that he was solid given the state of several aspects of the offense. Bad offensive line and no receivers. 

how can u tell if he has no receivers?? he cant/wont get the ball to them unless they are the primary target and they are wide open.

ps--where is the imagination  in coaching?  TT lines up next to Peterman as a RB...he gets the pitch--then can run it or pass it.the DBs cant cheat on the WRs hence lots of open guys to throw to or TT gains gobs of yards. That opens the fake pitch or handoff and all of a sudden its not the D that controls you but vice versa.Just TT back there as RB or he and Shady.

The dumbest thing would be letting a brilliant running talent rot on the bench.