Why Micah Hyde calls Buffalo Bills rookie QB Nathan Peterman 'Nate Favre'

8 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

More proof Peterman has been impressing behind the scenes, this move WILL pay dividends on both sides of the football.....

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/11/why_micah_hyde_calls_buffalo_bills_rookie_qb_nathan_peterman_nate_favre.html

Erm.  We do realize that the 'ol Gunslinger Brett Favre through 37 TD and 37 INTs in his first 2 seasons in GB?  Second season he had AY/A of 5

That what we're wanting to see?

Gunslinger has a big downside.  Probably helps Hyde prepare for those INTs though.

17 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Well if we can have a few less 3-and-outs hopefully the defense will be able to catch their breath.

Our old-guy leaders KW and Lorax can't be left on the field 45 minutes a game.

A dominating defense CAN get themselves off the field, of course, but that's not what McD has designed here - from the beginning they've been bend but don't break.  That can get them worn down if the offense doesn't hold the ball a bit.

I'd be happy to see "bend but don't break", but the fact is, the D has broken and broken and from the start of the game, before any wearing down is in question, shown total inability to stop the run or pressure the QB for the last 2 games.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Erm.  We do realize that the 'ol Gunslinger Brett Favre through 37 TD and 37 INTs in his first 2 seasons in GB?  Second season he had AY/A of 5

That what we're wanting to see?

Gunslinger has a big downside.  Probably helps Hyde prepare for those INTs though.

erm, you do realize he also went on to win a Superbowl, right? i don't know about you but i would gladly suffer through two seasons to get a Brett Farve.

Edited by Foxx

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

erm, you do realize he also went on to win a Superbowl, right? i don't know about you but i would gladly suffer through two seasons to get a Bret Farve.

Oh, sure. 

But that was then, this is now.  And that leash length/draft stock thing comes into play.  Peterman throws equal TD and INT, or INT>TD, he'll be out on his ear and we'll never get the chance to see if he's the second coming of Favre.

3 hours ago, bmur66 said:

Maybe the D will be encouraged to stop someone now so they can get the ball into capable hands.

3 hours ago, cd1 said:

Maybe the defense will be more effective because there won't be so many 3 and outs!

Assuming a bit ain't ya?  Nevermind, I hope you're both right

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, sure. 

But that was then, this is now.  And that leash length/draft stock thing comes into play.  Peterman throws equal TD and INT, or INT>TD, he'll be out on his ear and we'll never get the chance to see if he's the second coming of Favre.

well, i agree to a certain point. everything depends upon what he does out there on the field, i do think he could throw 37 interceptions and if he showed that he has 'it' then he would get the opportunity to play on and grow. 

the obvious thing though is that this is a win-win. we weren't going anywhere with Tyrod. again, i don't know about you but i have had more than enough of 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 purgatory. 

Edited by Foxx

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

well, i agree to a certain point. everything depends upon what he does out there on the field, i do think he could throw 37 interceptions and if he showed that he has 'it' then he would get the opportunity to play on. 

the obvious thing though is that this is a win-win. we weren't going anywhere with Tyrod. again, i don't know about you but i have had more than enough of 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 purgatory. 

I hear that!  I would like to be hopeful this signals an end, but as of yet, I am not.  Even as I feel at this point, starting Peterman may be a good choice, I feel there were a number of questionable coaching and personnel decisions made to get us to a place where we're 5-4 and this is a good choice.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
clarify
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hear that!  I would like to be hopeful this signals an end, but as of yet, I am not.  Even as I feel at this point, starting Peterman may be a good choice, I feel there were a number of questionable decisions made to get us to a place where we're 5-4 and this is a good choice.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Can"t wait to see what he's got. But his 27 TD / 7 Int college stat shows that he protects the ball. Though very few QBs do that as well as Tyrod so we all have to expect a lot more picks, especially from a rookie! But I didn't realize before that vid that he played with Jones. That will help a lot! In that respect, Tyrod got a raw deal as too often he played with new receivers. A  few missed passes this year have been from out-of-sync between him and the new receivers. Imagine for a guy that has been 2nd QB - he barely had time to get a feel for most of his guys so that will account for some INTs right there.

But I admit from his podium interview Peterman seems to have the "it" factor you look for in a QB. We'll see. The change had to be made IMO. Two bad games in a row and an overall subpar year made it almost necessary. The risk is still big for THIS year as if NP ain't good enough, playoffs are again a thing deferred. But for 2018 and beyond, they had to know if Peterman can play as Tyrod wouldn't  have been retained with his current contract anyway.

In many ways TT got a raw deal with the WR situation, the Dennison offense that doesn't seem fitting for him, and on and on. But he got his chance to be a starter for 2.5 years, got great money to live out 20 lifetimes, so I won't be crying too hard even though I wished he had succeeded big time. He was exciting at times way more than anyone since Flutie. I loved how he made people miss their tackles. But yep, time for a change. Hell if he's back later because NP stinks or is injured, and plays with a new fire and less conservative, who knows what can happen!

Coming from a secondary player this means more to me.  Of course dlineman and linebackers will fear Tyrod because of his legs.  Secondary players are the ones that are thrown at the majority of the time.  If Hyde is complimenting you and he practiced against Aaron Rodgers...that's a positive for me.  

I'm not comparing Rodgers to Peterman in this post...

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Can you tell us (if you have not already) how concerned you are goig forward with Nate?  

Shady - I'm still very concerned about this team as a whole especially the defense, but something tells me they will be motivated to play hard if they know they have a guy on the other side of the ball that can help keep them off the field so much and do his part.

As for the gunslinger stuff - no doubt NP will probably throw more picks, but he'll also make beautiful well timed throws we haven't seen in Buffalo for some time and take chances to win games. People are going to realize Buffalo does have an NFL caliber receiving corps after all.