When overwhelmed at work how do you cope?

Another Fan

When i need to clear my head, i go for a short walk.  Up the stairs on the east wing where my office is, over through the lobby, down the stairs on the west wing (no, not that one), then past the cafeteria back to my office in HR.  Sometimes, i stop for a small coffee at the Corner Perk.   it's about 250 steps and 2 staircases, and the views out the back toward the rolling hills around Reading are spectacular.  I do this 2-3 times a day.  Helps me get my fitbit steps too . . . .

Edited by Philly McButterpants

2 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

When i need to clear my head, i go for a short walk.  Up the stairs on the east wing where my office is, over through the lobby, down the stairs on the west wing (no, not that one), then past the cafeteria back to my office in HR.  Sometimes, i stop for a small coffee at the Corner Perk.   it's about 250 steps and 2 staircases, and the views out the back toward the rolling hills around Reading are spectacular.  I do this 2-3 times a day.  Helps me get my fitbit steps too . . . .

How many steps to the bathroom? 

1 minute ago, mead107 said:

How many steps to the bathroom? 

It's right outside the HR office, so only about 50, maybe even less.  I'd rather sit at my desk naked than drop a deuce at work :huh:, so i don't do the exec lounge thing . . . 

Edited by Philly McButterpants

4 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

250 pace should be roughly 1/4 mile, if you count every time your right foot hits the ground.... my pace count for 1/4 mile is 254.... 

1 minute ago, Philly McButterpants said:

It's right outside the HR office, so only about 50, maybe even less.  I'd rather sit at my desk naked than drop a deuce at work :huh:, so i don't do the exec lounge thing . . . 

Haven’t you heard- “Boss makes a dollar, I get a dime, that’s why I poop on company time”?

plus if you poop 10 minutes a day at work, you end up with about 43 hours of pooping time... that’s like a free week... if you work in a production based company, or if your work will still be there when you’re done- that sucks

7 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Haven’t you heard- “Boss makes a dollar, I get a dime, that’s why I poop on company time”?

plus if you poop 10 minutes a day at work, you end up with about 43 hours of pooping time... that’s like a free week... if you work in a production based company, or if your work will still be there when you’re done- that sucks

I liked 4 hours of sleeping better.  Never was a nighttime pooper 

1 minute ago, CountryCletus said:

250 pace should be roughly 1/4 mile, if you count every time your right foot hits the ground.... my pace count for 1/4 mile is 254.... 

That seems to be way under.  Almost 1/2 or equal to 1/8 of a mile. Should be about 450 casual paces to a 1/4 mile.  I met you, you're no giant.:P

FOR ME, 35 steps is about 100 feet.  That was a handy thing to know when I worked in survey and building shore baseline when I was in hydrographic survey (sounding waterways).

1320' is 1/4 mile.  35 paces in 100' [sounding stations were 100' apart]. 

13.2(35)=462 paces.

I just stepped out on lockwall to check my pace.  The lockwall is divided into 100' & 50' increments by signs the whole 1,000' lock chamber and 2,000' of guidewalls... Bollard pins are 50' apart. Those signs are spot on (I installed them there ;)).

Yep... I still pace out ~35 to 100'.  Thanks for making me go out in pouring rain. :(:D

20 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Mine would be about 600

You're more in the normal ballpark.  250 is more like an 1/8 of a mile.

But... Then again CountryCletus is legendary!;)

16 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That seems to be way under.  Almost 1/2 or equal to 1/8 of a mile. Should be about 450 casual paces to a 1/4 mile.  I met you, you're no giant.:P

FOR ME, 35 steps is about 100 feet.  That was a handy thing to know when I worked in survey and building shore baseline when I was in hydrographic survey (sounding waterways).

1320' is 1/4 mile.  35 paces in 100' [sounding stations were 100' apart]. 

13.2(35)=462 paces.

I just stepped out on lockwall to check my pace.  The lockwall is divided into 100' & 50' increments by signs the whole 1,000' lock chamber and 2,000' of guidewalls... Bollard pins are 50' apart. Those signs are spot on (I installed them there ;)).

Yep... I still pace out ~35 to 100'.  Thanks for making me go out in pouring rain. :(:D

You're more in the normal ballpark.  250 is more like an 1/8 of a mile.

But... Then again CountryCletus is legendary!;)

Have you served in the military?

3 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Have you served in the military?

No. But I have been working for the Department of Army the last 30 years.

I was gonna ask... What is the logic with right foot rule.

1 minute ago, CountryCletus said:

You step off with your left.... left, right= 1 pace... just the left is a step.... everyone has a different pace count.... it’s something that every person in the army/marines should know, their 100m pace count

Some peoples’ kids...

So your 100' foot pace is around 70?

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

No. But I have been working for the Department of Army the last 30 years.

I was gonna ask... What is the logic with right foot rule.

Do they feed you MRE’s while working for the Dept of the Army? Do you salute your boss??? Do you carry a weapon??? Do you march everywhere you go? Can you tell me what the 3rd squad leader does when the command countercolumn is given???

Right foot.... because if you counted when your left foot hit the ground you would be counting your paces like this: “half, one and a half, two and a half...” and even the marines know that’s dumb as hell

2 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Do they feed you MRE’s while working for the Dept of the Army? Do you salute your boss??? Do you carry a weapon??? Do you march everywhere you go? Can you tell me what the 3rd squad leader does when the command countercolumn is given???

Right foot.... because if you counted when your left foot hit the ground you would be counting your paces like this: “half, one and a half, two and a half...” and even the marines know that’s dumb as hell

I guess.  Thanks.  I did catch where you were talking metric.

Anyway.  We always counted every time a foot hit the ground.  Isn't that really one pace?

Oh... And my first crew chief was a merchant marine... Probably explains things. <_<

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I guess.  Thanks.  I did catch where you were talking metric.

Anyway.  We always counted every time a foot hit the ground.  Isn't that really one pace?

Oh... And my first crew chief was a merchant marine... Probably explains things. <_<

It’s easier to deal with smaller numbers... less likely to lose track counting to (in my case) 254, rather than 508.... when using a shorter distance (100m) you can use the one step pace count... usually around 120-130.... 

9 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

It’s easier to deal with smaller numbers... less likely to lose track counting to (in my case) 254, rather than 508.... when using a shorter distance (100m) you can use the one step pace count... usually around 120-130.... 

Understood now.  It dawned on me when I went back and read the right foot thing.  I figured it was a uniform service thing.

My father was artillery. He'd tell the story how they had to give one guy a rock to hold in his right hand during boot camp.  He didn't know his right from left! LoL... I'd probably be that guy in the column. ^_^ But I take a mean hand depth reading! :D

I don't know how flexible your work day is but I used to arrange my work day so I did the work I liked the least in the morning when I was fresh.  When I wasn't as fresh in the afternoon, I worked on what I enjoyed most.  This kept my concentration up and seemed to make the day go faster.