Linebacker Play

Yesterday was perhaps the worst game Ive seen of Bills linebacker play in recent memory. Love Alexander but he has hit the wall, Humber is now lost, and Brown quit. The Bills may need 3 new linebackers next season. Not going after AJ Klein in the off season was a real head scratcher.  Want to see more of Milano down the stretch.

Yea the D Line has beeb equally as bad but it is true the linebacker play is concerning. They need to get Milano and the other draft pick whose name I can't spell on the field and see what they have there. No point rolling with Alexander and Brown and Humber at this stage. 

The D-Line play doesn't help them, but getting offsides before the snap, being confused by a simple motion across the line, and then bad angles plus poor tackling, is pretty much all on them.

Humber has been awful the last couple of games, Alexander doesn't have the speed to hold the edge anymore, and Brown is getting blown up by blocks.

If there is an excuse for any of them, it's probably Brown, as the poor D-Line play affects him more through the middle, as it's a lot harder to shed a guy who has been able to get momentum forward already.

We saw how horrible Brown was last year.  How he survived the coaching change is mind boggling.

Alexander's play has dropped off.  He can't get off blocks and missing too many tackles.  I think he is on the field too much and is worn down.

5 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

We saw how horrible Brown was last year.  How he survived the coaching change is mind boggling.

Alexander's play has dropped off.  He can't get off blocks and missing too many tackles.  I think he is on the field too much and is worn down.

I was expecting a stronger run defense when Humber got back but it has pretty much gone the other way.  I don't think it is necessarily his fault but the whole front seven has been garbage the past two weeks and we are going downhill fast if they don't adjust.  Take Brown out and whoever else even along the line if we don't get consistent play.  Time to start playing the process talk and make people hold to it when they obviously aren't

In the 4-3 the DTs have to keep the LBers clean. The past two weeks they have not. 

8 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Because in a 3-4 Brown will struggle when not clean. In a 4-3 when he is clean he is a good LBer. But i know people don’t understand schemes sometimes 

51 minutes ago, bills_fan_in_raleigh said:

To my eye it seems they are too close to LOS to react to the plays getting themselves caught up in a slant and unable to recover.   

I noticed that too.

It looked like they were engaging blockers rather than avoiding them.

43 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

In the 4-3 the DTs have to keep the LBers clean. The past two weeks they have not. 

Because in a 3-4 Brown will struggle when not clean. In a 4-3 when he is clean he is a good LBer. But i know people don’t understand schemes sometimes 

Scheme as nothing to do with him missing tackles.  Steve Smith Sr. said Brown was "soft" last year after they played the ravens.  I think Smith was 100% spot on.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Scheme as nothing to do with him missing tackles.  Steve Smith Sr. said Brown was "soft" last year after they played the ravens.  I think Smith was 100% spot on.

So back to comparing an over weight Preston Brown who was never going to take on blockers and shed them to the 4-3 Preston Brown thay lost weight and should never have to take on Blockers if your DTs are doing their jobs to say scheme doesnt matter. 

Got it

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

True. But he still misses a lot of tackles and has a hard time covering running backs. And also looks lost in zone coverage a lot of the time

Edited by billsfan11