The Fire Bell In The Night

Tiberius

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

There will be answers alright. A Democratic House will have subpoena power :) 

And the White House can ignore the subpoenas, because "voter suppression!"

More seriously, Holder, Lynch, Lerner, Clinton, and Obama ignored Congressional subpoenas for years, with no consequences.  And the Republican House stupidly went to the courts for redress.  So we have the precedent now that Congressional subpoenas can be ignored with impunity, and Congress is powerless to enforce them.

So yeah...good luck with subpoenaing the Trump administration, knuckleheads.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, DC Tom said:

More seriously, Holder, Lynch, Lerner, Clinton, and Obama ignored Congressional subpoenas for years, with no consequences.  And the Republican House stupidly went to the courts for redress.  So we have the precedent now that Congressional subpoenas can be ignored with impunity, and Congress is powerless to enforce them.

You know who you can't refuse a subpoena from? 

Image result for huber and sessions meme

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Nice try, but the Ben-by-Gazi investigation went on for years with plenty of power and it had nothing to do with people not talking that they did not find anything. Subpoenaing power reaches deep into investigations beyond the top officials. 

The Real Reason They Hate Trump
Wall Street Journal, by David Gelernter

Original Article

Every big U.S. election is interesting, but the coming midterms are fascinating for a reason most commentators forget to mention: The Democrats have no issues. The economy is booming and America’s international position is strong. In foreign affairs, the U.S. has remembered in the nick of time what Machiavelli advised princes five centuries ago: Don’t seek to be loved, seek to be feared.

The contrast with the Obama years must be painful for any honest leftist. 

{snip}

For now, though, the left’s only issue is “We hate Trump.” This is an instructive hatred, because what the left hates about Donald Trump is precisely what it hates about America. The implications are important, and painful.

Not that every leftist hates America. But the leftists I know do hate Mr. Trump’s vulgarity, his unwillingness to walk away from a fight, his bluntness, his certainty that America is exceptional, his mistrust of intellectuals, his love of simple ideas that work, and his refusal to believe that men and women are interchangeable. Worst of all, he has no ideology except getting the job done. His goals are to do the task before him, not be pushed around, and otherwise to enjoy life. In short, he is a typical American—except exaggerated, because he has no constraints to cramp his style except the ones he himself invents.

Mr. Trump lacks constraints because he is filthy rich and always has been and, unlike other rich men, he revels in wealth and feels no need to apologize—ever. He never learned to keep his real opinions to himself because he never had to. He never learned to be embarrassed that he is male, with ordinary male proclivities. Sometimes he has treated women disgracefully, for which Americans, left and right, are ashamed of him—as they are of JFK and Bill Clinton.

But my job as a voter is to choose the candidate who will do best for America. I am sorry about the coarseness of the unconstrained average American that Mr. Trump conveys. That coarseness is unpresidential and makes us look bad to other nations. On the other hand, many of his opponents worry too much about what other people think. I would love the esteem of France, Germany and Japan. But I don’t find myself losing sleep over it.

The difference between citizens who hate Mr. Trump and those who can live with him—whether they love or merely tolerate him—comes down to their views of the typical American: the farmer, factory hand, auto mechanic, machinist, teamster, shop owner, clerk, software engineer, infantryman, truck driver, housewife. The leftist intellectuals I know say they dislike such people insofar as they tend to be conservative Republicans.

More at the link: