Saints news

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you think that Lattimore is “being stroked too much” you aren’t paying attention. He is PFFs highest graded rookie EVER through 7 games!! Here is a quick look at how he has compared to some others: https://www.touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2017/10/24/marshon-lattimore-is-pffs-highest-graded-rookie-ever-through-7-games/amp/

He has a higher grade right now than Tom Brady (or at least as of last week). This isn’t a young guy playing well like Tre White. This is a guy that may very well be the best CB in football right now. 

Correct. He is playing at an all pro level. Outstanding. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you think that Lattimore is “being stroked too much” you aren’t paying attention. He is PFFs highest graded rookie EVER through 7 games!! Here is a quick look at how he has compared to some others: https://www.touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2017/10/24/marshon-lattimore-is-pffs-highest-graded-rookie-ever-through-7-games/amp/

He has a higher grade right now than Tom Brady (or at least as of last week). This isn’t a young guy playing well like Tre White. This is a guy that may very well be the best CB in football right now. 

It is not overstating to say that Lattimore is playing at an all-pro level. As you fairly stated Tre White is playing very well. I still like the trade down (although preferred selecting a qb with our original pick) and obtaining another first round pick. The Bills are rebuilding and need a quantity of talent. If the first round pick that was gained in the KC trade is used in a deal to get a qb I will be ecstatic.

In addition, it was widely reported that the player the Bills would have selected if they would have stayed pat and was available was Lattimore. So that's an indication their talent evaluation would have been spot on. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It is not overstating to say that Lattimore is playing at an all-pro level. As you fairly stated Tre White is playing very well. I still like the trade down (although preferred selecting a qb with our original pick) and obtaining another first round pick. The Bills are rebuilding and need a quantity of talent. If the first round pick that was gained in the KC trade is used in a deal to get a qb I will be ecstatic.

In addition, it was widely reported that the player the Bills would have selected if they would have stayed pat and was available was Lattimore. So that's an indication their talent evaluation would have been spot on. 

I said on draft day the Saints must have been jumping through the roof when Lattimore fell to them.  How he ever got past the Jets at #6 I have no idea.  Adams is a fine player.... but Lattimore to me was the best DB in the class and even if both are great then a great CB > a great S.  

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree 100%. The trade down has worked well for the Bills and the Saints got lucky that Lattimore slipped to them.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree 100%. The trade down has worked well for the Bills and the Saints got lucky that Lattimore slipped to them.

Yea it's not either / or.  Too many people get so precious about the Bills that they get all defensive when you say Lattimore who we could have had at #10 is playing brilliantly or that the Quarterback who we could have picked at #10 was playing brilliantly (before the ACL).  It's possible to think both of those things and still like the Bills trade down and pick.  

The DB class looks pretty much as advertised so far.... Lattimore, Humphrey, White, Adams, Hooker (before injury) have all been somewhere between all pro level and very good.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Didn't Lattimore have concerns over his hamstrings?  Those problems tend to resurface  

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I said on draft day the Saints must have been jumping through the roof when Lattimore fell to them.  How he ever got past the Jets at #6 I have no idea.  Adams is a fine player.... but Lattimore to me was the best DB in the class and even if both are great then a great CB > a great S.  

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Both of you make good points about the preference for Lattimore over Adams. I'm not as emphatic on that issue for the Jets. Adams was a good pick if not the right pick for the Jets. It wasn't only about talent. An additional factor was trying to add an infectious attitude (energy) to a lagging team. What's right for one team is not necessarily the most right for another team. Both teams got players that helped their respective teams. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Both of you make good points about the preference for Lattimore over Adams. I'm not as emphatic on that issue for the Jets. Adams was a good pick if not the right pick for the Jets. It wasn't only about talent. An additional factor was trying to add an infectious attitude (energy) to a lagging team. What's right for one team is not necessarily the most right for another team. Both teams got players that helped their respective teams. 

Both of me? You had a drink John?  ;)

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If I may, let me ask you in hindsight an unfair hypothetical question. If you had a draft do-over would you have selected the qb, Watson, instead of making the trade down? You already know my position. Interested in yours.  

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Both of me? You had a drink John?  ;)

The new format has me flummoxed. I wanted to include the Kirby quote. On the Lattimore issue you are both birds with the same feathers. :D

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

If I may, let me ask you in hindsight an unfair hypothetical question. If you had a draft do-over would you have selected the qb, Watson, instead of making the trade down? You already know my position. Interested in yours.  

The new format has me flummoxed. I wanted to include the Kirby quote. On the Lattimore issue you are both birds with the same feathers. :D

Nope, because I refuse to let hindsight alter my decision making. Watson looks like an absolute stud. I will never however look back at something and pretend i would have done something differently because of the results. In hindsight the Browns would have taken him first. I said prior to the draft I wanted a trade down and to pick up a 2018 1st. I got my wish. You can’t draft looking back.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

EVERYONE PUMP THE BREAKS ABOUT NO. Last six games Panthers Dolphins Lions Packers Bears Bucs. See what I'm saying?

Agreed. Panthers are decent but we almost beat them. Lions are decent but inconsistent. Packers without Rodgers. Dolphins inconsistent (and in London).

They are beating bad teams. If we're a bad team they'll beat us. If not, we'll see.

Just now, theAteam said:

Agreed. Panthers are decent but we almost beat them. Lions are decent but inconsistent. Packers without Rodgers. Dolphins inconsistent (and in London).

They are beating bad teams. If we're a bad team they'll beat us. If not, we'll see.

Packers look brutal without Rodgers. 

13 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Need to Blitz or more than 4 man rush. Pressure is key. Look what jets did to us.

McDermott said you can't really pressure a gut like Brees, only manage him. I'd be dropping 7 guys in coverage every down. Only blitz on down and long. 

On 11/6/2017 at 12:38 AM, GunnerBill said:

Actually I did.

Not sure if we have the history but the thread where I went through pre-season and picked each game I had this as the 6-2 Saints vs the 5-3 Bills. :)

Is the archive gone? 

Here is exactly what I said.... I found it in the Archive :)

"Saints: L, 20-30 - The 5-3 Bills vs the surprising 6-2 Saints and it is the visitors who get the W with an explosive passing offense and opportunistic defense that picks off Tyrod twice and returns a JWill fumble for a touchdown."

LINK HERE

Now obviously I didn't get everything right... JWill isn't on the team and my route to 5-3 for the Bills (and the route I had for the Saints to be 6-2) have not exactly gone to plan.... but still.  Hope my score prediction for Sunday is wrong too.  

21 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nope, because I refuse to let hindsight alter my decision making. Watson looks like an absolute stud. I will never however look back at something and pretend i would have done something differently because of the results. In hindsight the Browns would have taken him first. I said prior to the draft I wanted a trade down and to pick up a 2018 1st. I got my wish. You can’t draft looking back.

I have a much different perspective on the qb issue than you. When you haven't had a franchise qb in nearly a quarter century I think it is useful to look back at ask oneself why opportunities were missed when they were available. As I have said on prior posts teams that don't have a franchise qb need to be more aggressive and pro-active in addressing that issue than teams that already have an established qb. Not willing to consider what you could have done as well as review what you have done in my mind  is missing out on a useful learning tool that applies to all fields of endeavor.