Holcomb: The Way Browns Fans See It

Being curious about the Browns fans take on Holcomb, I trolled a message board (apparently they are still celebrating Halloween) and thought it was interesting to find a couple of things:

(1) His fan base was virtually 50/50, with excuses abound. Just as many thought him to be part of the problem as those who thought he'd be a better QB with a better OL.

(2) At first word of his signing with the Bills, everyone assumed he was on a money grab, and as you go down the thread it's just a bit funny when they realize he took less money to be a backup.

(3) There seemed to be problems with him and Butch Davis.

(4) Butch Davis is a moron.

(5) Holcomb is pretty well regarded, though some feel he 'can go somewhere else and throw his teammates under the bus and blame others for his mistakes.'

(6) He's a leader on the field.

(7) No he's not.

(8) It sucks watching your QB have a 400-yard game, only to lose the game with a last minute interception.

(8) Football fans who post on message boards are apparently the same everywhere: there are the smart ones, stupid ones, the all-knowing, the I Told You Sos, and the people who find it necessary to point out who was wrong, thereby making them right by default.

Dawg Talk You'll likely get to page three before the website gives you a migraine.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/pla...8668236122.xml

"Kelly didn't feel good at all about the way things were going in Cleveland," said Bauer. "He felt the attitude was 'if we get him, we get him, if we don't, we don't.' "

He said Holcomb is excited about going to Buffalo, where he'll be reunited with two of his former coaches: Sam Wyche and Mike Mularkey.

"The Bills were all over us," said Bauer. "He did take a little less, but the contract is built up on the backside [with incentives]. More importantly, Kelly is comfortable with the coaches and the offense and he really feels he's wanted there."

Sounds like a good match to me.

You'll likely get to page three before the website gives you a migraine.

263948[/snapback]

The brown and orange is really hard to take. I can't think of the boards off the top of my head, but there are others who use the teams primary colors like this one.

The backside incentives are what I think are encouraging, to some extent. It's hard for me to gauge whether this is a good signing or not because the decision-making process is overcome by the element of surprise. I know I've been impressed with Holcomb's performance in the past, and he could be nice insurance if Losman doesn't pan out...

But on the otherhand, I would hate to see Losman not pan out.

Once again, looking at that site reminds me of why this board is (visually) so much better. Not allowing in-line graphics in posts is the most important peice of it in my opinion.

CW

Once again, looking at that site reminds me of why this board is (visually) so much better.  Not allowing in-line graphics in posts is the most important peice of it in my opinion.

CW

263976[/snapback]

You're not kidding. I checked the place yesterday and left after my first search.

I will also say the the current job being done by the moderators is awesome. I checked into BZ yesterday when the Nate rumor started up and there were at least 10 threads on Holcomb already. We had ONE. NICE.

(8) It sucks watching your QB have a 400-yard game, only to lose the game with a last minute interception.

263948[/snapback]

of course losing that game was holcomb's fault...i mean it has nothing to do with the defense that gives up 30+ per game (58 in the cincy game last yr)...

You're not kidding.  I checked the place yesterday and left after my first search. 

I will also say the the current job being done by the moderators is awesome.  I checked into BZ yesterday when the Nate rumor started up and there were at least 10 threads on Holcomb already.  We had ONE.  NICE.

263984[/snapback]

Absolutely.

of course losing that game was holcomb's fault...i mean it has nothing to do with the defense that gives up 30+ per game (58 in the cincy game last yr)...

Funny that. It's always solely the quarterback's fault.

The brown and orange is really hard to take.  I can't think of the boards off the top of my head, but there are others who use the teams primary colors like this one.

263969[/snapback]

Talk about bad team colors... I never want to ehar crap about the Dolphins color choice after thse literal crap Cleveland puts on the field.

I may give in to the argument aobut the Orange jerseys though.

Talk about bad team colors... I never want to ehar crap about the Dolphins color choice after thse literal crap Cleveland puts on the field.

I may give in to the argument aobut the Orange jerseys though.

264013[/snapback]

At least the Browns don't have an idiotic dolphin wearing a helmet jumping around on their helmets :angry:

CW

At least the Browns don't have an idiotic dolphin wearing a helmet jumping around on their helmets  :angry:

CW

264016[/snapback]

I'll ignore that....

Trivia for you. only two teams have a helmet drawn on their helmets. The Dolphins are one... name the other?

i have the luxury of two die hard Brownie fans as two of my very best friends. They said they were lukewarm on Holcomb. They will not be punching any walls over it. Then I told him that we got him on the cheap as a backup (apprently they were unaware he left for less).

<pause>

"Hey, we got Baxter!!!!"

:angry::P:lol:

The poster who said Cleveland will draft a QB with their 1st rounder is right on. I guess they decided to pick a QB & don't want to commit to Holcomb for 4 years. If SF & Mia both go QB, because I have to believe Cle thinks 1 of the 2 jrs will be there at 3, Cleveland will go nuts.

The poster who said Cleveland will draft a QB with their 1st rounder is right on.  I guess they decided to pick a QB & don't want to commit to Holcomb for 4 years.  If SF & Mia both go QB, because I have to believe Cle thinks 1 of the 2 jrs will be there at 3, Cleveland will go nuts.

264026[/snapback]

i think the Browns pick up Dilfer. They need a vet QB in the stable. Then they go D or WR with their first pick.

I don't know...I thought it was pretty tame over there compared to here when Bledsoe was released.

For every "Holcomb is a loser, good riddance" post there was one or more "We wish you the best, Kelly" posts.

Pretty similar place.

I don't know...I thought it was pretty tame over there compared to here when Bledsoe was released.

For every "Holcomb is a loser, good riddance" post there was one or more "We wish you the best, Kelly" posts.

Pretty similar place.

264035[/snapback]

but Bledsoe was our starter. You need to compare that to their reaction to Garcia.

I'll ignore that....

Trivia for you. only two teams have a helmet drawn on their helmets. The Dolphins are one... name the other?

264023[/snapback]

Well, it used to be the Patriots... But not anymore...

I just read this trivia question a month or two ago, and now I can't remember the answer. I might have to cheat and go to ESPN :angry:

CW

The brown and orange is really hard to take.  I can't think of the boards off the top of my head, but there are others who use the teams primary colors like this one.

263969[/snapback]

Bengalszone.com uses a bit of orange, but it's muted and only takes up the left-hand side of the opening page. It's not a bad site to visit.

but Bledsoe was our starter.  You need to compare that to their reaction to Garcia.

264037[/snapback]

That's actually what encourages me about Holcomb. It's not like the whole world was ripping on Holcomb and blaming him for their lousy season, etc. The Garcia debate, on the other hand, I'm sure drew blood from that black and orange board.