Bills' Bye Week News

Here's my issue... We saw this 2 years ago. Rex comes in and with pretty much the same defensive personnel, the defensive production falls off a cliff. Pundits spend how much time trying to figure out what went wrong?

Now we have essentially the same offensive players (minus a few notable receivers) and we have to try and figure out why the offense is struggling. It's the coaching/scheme.. Plain and simple.

Do coaches have their playbooks copywrited or something? Its like one staff leaves, the new ones come in and can't figure out how to do anything. Blame gets placed on the players, so we have to get new ones. Its a stupid cycle that is about as predictable as the changing of the leaves.

Vance Joseph didn't make the same mistake when he took over as HC of the Broncos. He saw how good the Denver D was before he came on the scene and decided to sublimate his ego to leave well enough alone. Most coaches can't seem to help themselves when it comes to belief in their Xs and Os over Jimmys and Joes. If something is working well and plays to the strong suits of the players, then leave it alone.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

coaches don't have their playbook copy written but when it comes to some coaches, they refuse to adapt for what they have for players and try to make players that don't fit their playbook work.

Basically a coach that refuse to think the round peg can't fit in the square hole.

Vance Joseph didn't make the same mistake when he took over as HC of the Broncos. He saw how good the Denver D was before he came on the scene and decided to sublimate his ego to leave well enough alone. Most coaches can't seem to help themselves when it comes to belief in their Xs and Os over Jimmys and Joes. If something is working well and plays to the strong suits of the players, then leave it alone.

And that is exactly how you fix this offense. Drop this nonsense that Dennison thinks is going to work, and run the plays that the current players ran quite proficiently for the last 2 years. But... I fully expect they won't do that. We'll continue to hear how we need a new offensive line, new WRs, new QB, new every thing and wait a couple years for them all to figure it out. All while having to trust this process to dismantle a top 10 scoring offense, so we can get it to their version of a top 10 scoring offense.

True, but Joe Woods was promoted from within the organization. He learned from Wade Philips. Much easier to maintain continuity in those situations. Still wish Dennison would have learned more from watching the BIlls the last 2 years.

True, but Joe Woods was promoted from within the organization. He learned from Wade Philips. Much easier to maintain continuity in those situations. Still wish Dennison would have learned more from watching the BIlls the last 2 years.

That was on McDermott to hire an OC who would maintain continuity for the offense while he focused on the defense that was obviously broken.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

That was on McDermott to hire an OC who would maintained continuity for the offense while he focused on the defense that was obviously broken.

Yep. You are right. I thought Dennison was going to be that guy. Obviously he is not. And with his experience, I was hoping Dennison could improve the passing game while relying on that superstar running attack. Foolish me.

That was on McDermott to hire an OC who would maintain continuity for the offense while he focused on the defense that was obviously broken.

Exactly my thinking. How do you as a new Head Coach not look at the last 2 years of tape and say, lets keep that going?

It doesn't take a full year of study, it doesn't take seeing the players in person for a a full season of play. It was blatantly obvious to anyone that saw the Bills play.... For 2 years our defense sucked and the offense was decent. So bring in a new philosophy on defense that takes you back to the players strengths (which they seem to have done), and hire someone that will retain the offense as it was.

Sure, over time you can and should introduce additional wrinkles, upgrade players, move on from some. But to do what they've done is an inexcusable. I'm not saying I want any of them fired... I'm just saying they should own up to their mistakes and change what they're doing.

Edited by Dan

Exactly my thinking. How do you as a new Head Coach not look at the last 2 years of tape and say, lets keep that going?

It doesn't take a full year of study, it doesn't take seeing the players in person for a a full season of play. It was blatantly obvious to anyone that saw the Bills play.... For 2 years our defense sucked and the offense was decent. So bring in a new philosophy on defense that takes you back to the players strengths (which they seem to have done), and hire someone that will retain the offense as it was.

Sure, over time you can and should introduce additional wrinkles, upgrade players, move on from some. But to do what they've done is an inexcusable. I'm not saying I want any of them fired... I'm just saying they should own up to their mistakes and change what they're doing.

Dennison has gone back to some of what worked for the offense in '15 and '16, but it's rather late in the game after OTAs, mini-camp, TC at Fisher, and preseason.

Dennison has gone back to some of what worked for the offense in '15 and '16, but it's rather late in the game after OTAs, mini-camp, TC at Fisher, and preseason.

We'll know within a few minutes of the TB game if Rico and McD have taken the obvious steps to correct the offense. If it looks like last year, I'm setting aside money for playoff travel. If it continues like it has the first 5 games, either they really are tanking or they're idiots.

We'll know within a few minutes of the TB game if Rico and McD have taken the obvious steps to correct the offense. If it looks like last year, I'm setting aside money for playoff travel. If it continues like it has the first 5 games, either they really are tanking or they're idiots.

It'll be interesting to see how they approach the next game without Matthews and Clay with the running game struggling so mightily.

good catch.

maybe we should have found a way to at least kept Kromer as " Advisor to the O line and enough cash for lost lawn chairs" but seriously.

Continuous improvement has the word continuity within the concept.

reset is a word we Bills fans know all to well.

So this harkens back to firing Dennison already doesn't it ?

Yep. You are right. I thought Dennison was going to be that guy. Obviously he is not. And with his experience, I was hoping Dennison could improve the passing game while relying on that superstar running attack. Foolish me.

foolish Us? But i have not made my decisions already.

I am not happy so far ? might be my statement

I am running the same track as you. maybe not at the same pace.

But yes indeed, i Expect changing up and wrinkling he play sheets a tad for Tampa