OL MIKE GANDY

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, terrible signing. He's 6'4", 310, All American, high 3rd rounder who graduated with 2 degrees from ND, 26 yo, started 30 games at various positions. He lost his job due to injury and a front office who spent alot of money on Ruben Brown and drafted Colombo higher.

PP- What if NC or McGee gets nicked up on return duty? Move TV back to corner, plug in PP and we still have a darn good D. Greer and Baker showed promise but aren't ready for prime time. Wire has proved he will never be a starter.

McNally wanted him, so it's fine with me.

263001[/snapback]

This all good with me too. McNally took Parker the dog a long way and I think this guys a hell of a lot better than him.

I was on the thruway when I heard the news. WGR's Mike Shoop and the Bulldog talked with the Bears color man, who happens to be a former NFL lineman. I think he was being frank in what he said. In essence I heard that Gandy is very smart and an excellent technician. He's also pretty athletic. He's played every position on the O-line at various times, but is probably most natural at guard. The drawback in his dareer is that he has had a number of injuries. It's not the same injury over and over again, but a different one each time. Sometimes guys like that have injury problems their whole career. Other guys seem eventually to outgrow it to have extended periods injury free. Let's hope Gandy is the latter.

As to why Buffalo is getting players from Chicago: It seems the Chiicago offensive line coach is from the Jim McNally school of offensive line coaching. I don't know if he's a protege exactly, but he teaches the same system and the same techniques. When a Chicago lineman comes to the Bills under McNally, he can almost be plugged right in. It makes for much quicker development of chemistry on the line.

IMO, based on what I heard on the radio, this can be an excellent value pickup, if (and it's a big if) Gandy can stay reasonably healthy. He will start, probably at left guard, and he will be an upgrade. Fortunately, with Tucker and Smith, Buffalo has some solid depth now on the interior of the line, pending what the Bills decide to do at center.

While Gandy can play left tackle, my guess is that Buffalo has other thoughts (Shelton or a draft choice?). We'll have to wait and see.

I was on the thruway when I heard the news.  WGR's Mike Shoop and the Bulldog talked with the Bears color man, who happens to be a former NFL lineman.  I think he was being frank in what he said.  In essence I heard that Gandy is very smart and an excellent technician.  He's also pretty athletic.  He's played every position on the O-line at various times, but is probably most natural at guard.  The drawback in his dareer is that he has had a number of injuries.  It's not the same injury over and over again, but a different one each time.  Sometimes guys like that have injury problems their whole career.  Other guys seem eventually to outgrow it to have extended periods injury free.  Let's hope Gandy is the latter.

263642[/snapback]

I see Gandy coming in and competing for the LG spot. If there ends up being a better alternative, he'll become valuable depth on the OL much like Tucker when he was signed.

I was on the thruway when I heard the news.  WGR's Mike Shoop and the Bulldog talked with the Bears color man, who happens to be a former NFL lineman.  I think he was being frank in what he said.  In essence I heard that Gandy is very smart and an excellent technician.  He's also pretty athletic.  He's played every position on the O-line at various times, but is probably most natural at guard.  The drawback in his dareer is that he has had a number of injuries.  It's not the same injury over and over again, but a different one each time.  Sometimes guys like that have injury problems their whole career.  Other guys seem eventually to outgrow it to have extended periods injury free.  Let's hope Gandy is the latter.

As to why Buffalo is getting players from Chicago:  It seems the Chiicago offensive line coach is from the Jim McNally school of offensive line coaching.  I don't know if he's a protege exactly, but he teaches the same system and the same techniques.  When a Chicago lineman comes to the Bills under McNally, he can almost be plugged right in.  It makes for much quicker development of chemistry on the line.

IMO, based on what I heard on the radio, this can be an excellent value pickup, if (and it's a big if) Gandy can stay reasonably healthy.  He will start, probably at left guard, and he will be an upgrade.  Fortunately, with Tucker and Smith, Buffalo has some solid depth now on the interior of the line, pending what the Bills decide to do at center. 

While Gandy can play left tackle, my guess is that Buffalo has other thoughts (Shelton or a draft choice?).  We'll have to wait and see.

263642[/snapback]

Starting a rookie LT in the NFL is quite possibly the most dangerous thing you can do. Robert Gallery, a natural at the LT spot, was instead given the RT spot this season and he was the #4 pick overall. If the Bills think they can pick up a LT in the 2nd round of the draft and plug him into the starting lineup, then we are going to have some painful moments next season. The best thing they can do is just get another veteran OT...Shelton would be great, but who knows where he is going.

You are correct sir ...................except they still have Ruben the Terrible at guard

I saw Ruben Brown's truck around 2:30pm at my favorite local bar the BTI yesterday. Me and B-Dog drove by around 6:30pm he must have been crying in his beer considering he got cut before a nice pay day and Jonas got his huge pay day. Perhaps Ruben should have not played with a bad elbow during the year he got cut and save himself the wear and tear. Jonas would not play hurt and look what it got him $$$.

From John Clayton

March 4, 2005

Bills covering their bases

The Bills move to sign Mike Gandy off the street is simply an insurance policy where he may become the third tackle. The Bills lost left tackle Jonas Jennings to San Francisco. They also might lose their current third tackle, Marcus Price, who is a free agent.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/clayton/qhits.html

What side tackle did Teague play in Denver?? If they let him (gandy) compete for LG maybe Tucker goes to center, where he played well when Teague was hurt, and Teague could play LT. What I would see bein better is Williams might try to slide over to the left, he has the talent for the position but I dont know if he's ever played it or even if his mind is right yet to take that big step. But with all that said, they might simply put Gandy at LT and keep everything else the same.

What side tackle did Teague play in Denver?? If they let him (gandy) compete for LG maybe Tucker goes to center, where he played well when Teague was hurt, and Teague could play LT. What I would see bein better is Williams might try to slide over to the left, he has the talent for the position but I dont know if he's ever played it or even if his mind is right yet to take that big step. But with all that said, they might simply put Gandy at LT and keep everything else the same.

264354[/snapback]

That may be the plan: Gandy at left guard, Tucker at center, Teague at left tackle (or RT with MW moving to LT), and drafting a tackle fairly high who can reasonably start in a year or so.

Whoa, this is weird (and only slightly related to this topic) but if you click on Gandy and Holcomb's bios on Buffalobills.com, they already have shots of them in Bills jerseys. At first I thought Gandy's could be a Bears one, but click on Holcomb and you'll see him wearing the same thing, and there is no way to confuse the Browns unis with the Bills ones.

So apparently the first thing they did after signing a contract was slap on the jersey for the bio picture.

Dont know why I find this interesting...probably because it shows that they were in town LONG before we knew about it.

Whoa, this is weird (and only slightly related to this topic) but if you click on Gandy and Holcomb's bios on Buffalobills.com, they already have shots of them in Bills jerseys.  At first I thought Gandy's could be a Bears one, but click on Holcomb and you'll see him wearing the same thing, and there is no way to confuse the Browns unis with the Bills ones.

So apparently the first thing they did after signing a contract was slap on the jersey for the bio picture.

Dont know why I find this interesting...probably because it shows that they were in town LONG before we knew about it.

264432[/snapback]

Or they could be photoshopped. ESPN does that all the time.