Buffalo - one RACIST city

Bakin

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, neither does wearing a white sheet (maybe it's Halloween after all) but it bears some explaining, especially when flaunted by someone with no ties to the Confederacy.

we all have ties to the confederacy. it is part of our history.

Sure, it's perfectly normal to fly the flag of a defeated enemy. Everything's fine.

so, do you react this way with the Union Jack, Mexican flag, French flag, Canadian flag, etc?

And the Confederacy was not my enemy. They were my family.

Edited by Boyst62

I think people would be surprised to know that the U.S is one of the least racially intolerant countries in the world.

That racism is not solely from the perspective of Caucasians on other races but from each racial perspective.

The best way to address racism over the long-term is not to attempt to prop up one race over historical or perceived current racial injustices but to adopt a more classical Liberal approach which is to go about your life treating everyone the exact same which is based on their own merits and nothing more.

This idea to provide a subsect of a population preferential treatment via governmental policy creates racial resentment among large portions of the other subsects of the population that believe they are being disadvantaged by these policies.

It creates dislocations and imbalances towards the healing of racial tensions.

Treat everyone the same. Yes, it won't be overnight but if more and more people adopt that philosophy it would certainly help us get to where we need to go.

This 100%, with extra emphasis added to your first statement. :beer:

so, do you react this way with the Union Jack, Mexican flag, French flag, Canadian flag, etc?

My point was that there are a lot of people without family connections to the Confederacy who choose to fly the flag, and it raises a lot of questions as to why they would choose that symbol.

If someone who was not French decided to fly the French flag, I'd also question that as an oddity, but it doesn't piss me off quite as much since we didn't fight a war against them over owning people.

My point was that there are a lot of people without family connections to the Confederacy who choose to fly the flag, and it raises a lot of questions as to why they would choose that symbol.

If someone who was not French decided to fly the French flag, I'd also question that as an oddity, but it doesn't piss me off quite as much since we didn't fight a war against them over owning people.

there was much more at stake for that war. How many of those fighting actually owned slaves? Edited by Boyst62

We supported the Haitian Revolution as part of the Quasi-War with France.

Keep deflecting - why do people who have no family ties to the south / Confederacy choose to fly the Confederate flag? You know the answer, it's just inconvenient.

no, because a flag has not than one meaning. To some it means the honor of those who died for it. To others it means the freedom to call those veterans terrorists. To others it means oppression. To others it means something that makes a sexy bikini and Instagram photo

Yeah, I take equal issue with flying both a Confederate and Mexican flag in the typical context they're flown(which is usually, F YOU AMERICA). A lot of Southerners hate, hate, hate, Yankees. That's mostly what it's about. It's actually far less about racism and slavery, and much more about asserting true Southern roots.

Most people flying Mexican flags are up to the same thing. I'm from Mexico, have ZERO interest in integrating into American society. But I expect you to foot a $10,000/year bill to provide my numerous children with bi-lingual education even though I pay about $2,500 in taxes per year.

Can't say I've ever seen someone fly a French flag outside of a French restaurant. I've never had a problem with people flying Israeli or Canadian flags because I've never met people doing it specifically to disrespect Americans. I probably would have been fine with Mexican flag flying a good 40 years ago, because it was probably truly about pride instead of snide anit-Americanism.

Yeah, I take equal issue with flying both a Confederate and Mexican flag in the typical context they're flown(which is usually, F YOU AMERICA). A lot of Southerners hate, hate, hate, Yankees. That's mostly what it's about. It's actually far less about racism and slavery, and much more about asserting true Southern roots.

Most people flying Mexican flags are up to the same thing. I'm from Mexico, have ZERO interest in integrating into American society. But I expect you to foot a $10,000/year bill to provide my numerous children with bi-lingual education even though I pay about $2,500 in taxes per year.

Can't say I've ever seen someone fly a French flag outside of a French restaurant. I've never had a problem with people flying Israeli or Canadian flags because I've never met people doing it specifically to disrespect Americans. I probably would have been fine with Mexican flag flying a good 40 years ago, because it was probably truly about pride instead of snide anit-Americanism.

how many Southerners do you know? I know 3 or 4. They do not dislike Yankees. Just !@#$s who want to impose their beliefs upon them

The head of the department of history at West Point disagrees with you.

so, at this point I refute you and we go endlessly back and forth citing experts who refute each other.

So, let's agree to disagree.