Stephen Curry...Big thumbs up!

Lurker

It's called "empathy." You and a bunch of others here should try it sometime.

no, it's called ignorance. Creating a fake boogey man to blame your own personal short comings is not noble... and neither is supporting a person who believes in this fake boogey man. Is there racism in America, yes... but does it affect anything near what the protests imply? absolutely not.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colin Kaepernick didn't say that this week, that was his original position, moron. He wasn't included in the anecdotal number. I didn't see him speak if he did indeed speak. My post was only in reference to you saying all these people were aggrieved and I found that ironic that the guy behind it didn't feel aggrieved.

That said...

While I still stand by my belief that "millions" of black people in America feel this way, and it's almost for sure a low estimate IMO, I shouldn't have used the couple hundred who kneeled as being anecdotal, because some of them, a lot of them, weren't automatically believing there is racial injustice. If I had to guess, I would say 100% do believe there is, but their sole act of kneeling doesn't specifically mean they do. A lot were just protesting the Orange Clown's stupid comment.

So even though I'd bet all of them believe it's true, I should not have included all of them in the hypothetical. Although it's one of those you don't know for sure things, but you know for sure. ;)

It's still an extremely flawed method. For example, people always think that crime is going up when the truth is it's going down for decades. By utilizing your method one would conclude that crime is through the roof. The conclusion would be patently false, but the belief of millions of people would suggest otherwise.

It's still an extremely flawed method. For example, people always think that crime is going up when the truth is it's going down for decades. By utilizing your method one would conclude that crime is through the roof. The conclusion would be patently false, but the belief of millions of people would suggest otherwise.

But Kelly knows a couple black guys, so he knows what's REALLY going on, and how all black people feel. Because they're black!

And we all know that means they're exactly the same!

Edited by jmc12290

It's not a scientific nor one size fits all method.

Let me ask you this. Do you think out of 45 million blacks that "millions" of the 45, meaning two or more, have had an experience - or know someone - or have heard of someone - that has had a bad experience with law enforcement that they think, rightfully or not, was racial in some way? Because that is what I implied.

Let me ask you this. Do you think out of 45 million blacks that "millions" of the 45, meaning two or more, have had an experience - or know someone - or have heard of someone - that has had a bad experience with law enforcement that they think, rightfully or not, was racial in some way? Because that is what I implied.

it's part of our (notice I didn't say their, because it's a all our culture) culturee them feel that way

They could get a cold and think it's racist. How they feel about someone's motives is not a measure of if something is racist. Race baters will say that having to follow the simplest rule is racist. A change in culture is definitely needed. Stop playing the damn race card, and just use personal pride and self respect to better your situation. Ben Carson is a perfect example of this.

They could get a cold and think it's racist. How they feel about someone's motives is not a measure of if something is racist. Race baters will say that having to follow the simplest rule is racist. A change in culture is definitely needed. Stop playing the damn race card, and just use personal pride and self respect to better your situation. Ben Carson is a perfect example of this.

The guy who compared slavery to coming to the land of dreams and opportunity? Got it.

http://www.whoisthemonkey.com/videos/26chappelle-s-show-i-know-black-people

I already explained the flaw in this. Let me share some anecdotes to ILLUSTRATE the point:

When I was in 4th grade my friend was holding the door for a black girl. He slipped and the door almost bumped the girl. Her mother got out of the car and excoriated my friend for being racist. She probably told all her friends about how the white kids treated her black daughter.

When I used to work at a pizza place we didn't go to certain neighborhoods because they were high crime areas that weren't safe. Black guys didn't want to go there either. The ownership would send drivers anywhere if they thought they could make more money. But several people accused us of denying them service because they were black. I'm sure they told their friends about the racist pizza place.

When I was in college a black kid got a C on a test and filed a complaint that his grade was due to racism. The school had another teacher review the test without the benefit of knowing the race of the student and graded it a D. I'm sure that student told his friends and family about the racism he suffered.

When I worked in the fraud department of a bank the spending patterns would trigger fraud holds. No human made a judgment call. Yet I had multiple people claim that we cut their card off because of race. I'm sure the told their friends about the bank's racist practices.

I've had untold people tell me their car was searched because they were black. I know countless white people whose cars were searched under the same circumstances in the same jurisdictions. I'm sure they told their friends and family about the racist treatment they received by the police.

I knew a black kid who shoved his teacher, punched another student, and grabbed a teacher's arm to prevent her from calling the principle, in addition to many other minor offenses. The school police officer wanted to put him through a diversion program. When his parents declined they charged him. His father was convinced that his son was being singled out because he was black. 40% of the school was black and not being singled out. Any kid would receive the same treatment for that behavior. But the father has no doubt whatsoever that his son was singled out due to racism. I'm sure he told anyone who would listen about the racist teachers and cops.

The list goes on and on. I'm barely scratching the surface, and I've illustrated multiple examples of how people have experienced racism or know someone who did where no racism occurred. The psychological phenomenon I'm discussing is widely accepted in the field. If you're looking for racism you will see it everywhere. Pointing to anecdotal evidence from people who have been trained to see racism anywhere and who often see it where it does not exist is a poor method for drawing a hard conclusion.

Also, this isn't just about media planting these seeds, although the media does play a very significant role in this. It also comes from a world view being passed down within the family and community from a time when these things were far more prevalent than they are today.

I could see if you saw that as a cause for skepticism or as a reason to do further research, but it's a pretty flimsy basis for a belief.

I already explained the flaw in this. Let me share some anecdotes to ILLUSTRATE the point:

When I was in 4th grade my friend was holding the door for a black girl. He slipped and the door almost bumped the girl. Her mother got out of the car and excoriated my friend for being racist. She probably told all her friends about how the white kids treated her black daughter.

When I used to work at a pizza place we didn't go to certain neighborhoods because they were high crime areas that weren't safe. Black guys didn't want to go there either. The ownership would send drivers anywhere if they thought they could make more money. But several people accused us of denying them service because they were black. I'm sure they told their friends about the racist pizza place.

When I was in college a black kid got a C on a test and filed a complaint that his grade was due to racism. The school had another teacher review the test without the benefit of knowing the race of the student and graded it a D. I'm sure that student told his friends and family about the racism he suffered.

When I worked in the fraud department of a bank the spending patterns would trigger fraud holds. No human made a judgment call. Yet I had multiple people claim that we cut their card off because of race. I'm sure the told their friends about the bank's racist practices.

I've had untold people tell me their car was searched because they were black. I know countless white people whose cars were searched under the same circumstances in the same jurisdictions. I'm sure they told their friends and family about the racist treatment they received by the police.

I knew a black kid who shoved his teacher, punched another student, and grabbed a teacher's arm to prevent her from calling the principle, in addition to many other minor offenses. The school police officer wanted to put him through a diversion program. When his parents declined they charged him. His father was convinced that his son was being singled out because he was black. 40% of the school was black and not being singled out. Any kid would receive the same treatment for that behavior. But the father has no doubt whatsoever that his son was singled out due to racism. I'm sure he told anyone who would listen about the racist teachers and cops.

The list goes on and on. I'm barely scratching the surface, and I've illustrated multiple examples of how people have experienced racism or know someone who did where no racism occurred. The psychological phenomenon I'm discussing is widely accepted in the field. If you're looking for racism you will see it everywhere. Pointing to anecdotal evidence from people who have been trained to see racism anywhere and who often see it where it does not exist is a poor method for drawing a hard conclusion.

Also, this isn't just about media planting these seeds, although the media does play a very significant role in this. It also comes from a world view being passed down within the family and community from a time when these things were far more prevalent than they are today.

I could see if you saw that as a cause for skepticism or as a reason to do further research, but it's a pretty flimsy basis for a belief.

I also believe there are "millions" of black people that have blamed racism for something non racist. Tens of millions. It doesn't in any way lessen or negate the examples that it occurred.

No. It doesnt. It makes people like you dismiss the reality of it because there are a large number of false allegations. That doesnt lessen the number or existence of the true allegations one bit. Just an excuse for you.

I don't dismiss anything. I believe that black people experience racism, just that their perception far exceeds reality. I also believe if someone percieves 100 (true or false) racist events that happened to them rather than 50 true, they will think it's more common and a much bigger problem than it really is.

Do you disagree?

No. It doesnt. It makes people like you dismiss the reality of it because there are a large number of false allegations. That doesnt lessen the number or existence of the true allegations one bit. Just an excuse for you.

It means the method you've chosen to quantify it is wholly unreliable. I'm sure there is some racial injustice visited upon minorities (and non-minorities for that matter), but we shouldn't we be able to quantify it before declaring it a national emergency?

It means the method you've chosen to quantify it is wholly unreliable. I'm sure there is some racial injustice visited upon minorities (and non-minorities for that matter), but we shouldn't we be able to quantify it before declaring it a national emergency?

No. Not in my opinion. It's been a national emergency for 200 years. Greatly lessened by still an enormous issue. As evidenced by this issue.