Step right up. Don't be afraid! Go on record right here!

Beast

I'm on record that this regime has no track record and they will either end up looking brilliant, or being a failure.

Right now I'm leaning towards failure, but it likely depends on them nailing the next draft and landing the next great QB.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The overreaction and supposed analysis based on preseason games, a few roster moves and a limited glimpse at training camp is astounding. For the record:

1. Beane and McDermott are 0-0 as GM and head coach of the team.

2. Beane has made I think 5 trades, all of which involve future draft picks. Two had players of significance (Darby, Watkins) and the other 3 were players that most thought would be cut (C. Jones) or were cut possibilities or at best backups (Seymour, Ragland) that had a high likelihood of not being part of the 46 active on Sundays.

3. It is almost impossible to draw any conclusions based on preseason games.

4. All the angst over possibly getting a 3rd round compensatory pick: A 3rd round comp pick is essentially a 4th round pick. 4th rounders have a 91% chance of making the roster as a rookie, 74% in year 2 and 54% in year 3. That's to make the roster, not to start.

5. Every year there seems to be a RB and/or WR that is battling for the last spot in the position group that fans latch onto that gets cut. When they are released, fans/people posting here act like they just cut the next Andre Reed but the funny thing is that we almost never hear about them again. To draw any conclusions over Brandon Reilly vs. Holmes and Brown or anyone else is ridiculous. The coaches are reviewing every rep from practice and games, they have a much better handle on what is going on.

6. Throughout the last 17 years, one of the most commonly expressed criticisms of the team has been that there is no discernible plan, that they make moves that are short-sighted, that they over estimate the talent on the team and make moves like they are 1-2 players away from making the playoffs. So here comes a couple of guys that are 180 degrees opposite of all that, appear to have concluded that the talent isn't that great on the team, need to assemble a group of players that will play well as a team vs. bringing in a few high-end talent guys that may not be team guys (Owens, Mario Williams are the first 2 to come to mind) and they roundly criticized by a significant faction of fans. You can't have it both ways.

7. Many think the national media is clueless and out of touch when it comes to their analysis of the Bills. However, if you look back over the years they were pretty much correct. Now many have good things to say about Beane and McDermott, and most thought the Watkins and Darby trades were good for the team.

8. Many times when you are building a team or a business, especially one that has not been successful or has a bad culture, many of the initial moves don't make sense or fly under the radar but are crucial to turning things around. Some of what is being done is subtle, some is not but the one thing that I think is very encouraging is that the moves seem to be consistent with the plan to build a team that is good over a longer period of time. Now we have to see if it's a good plan and if they can execute.

9. I think virtually anyone who follows the team pretty close and sat down after Thursday's game and filled out what their projected 53 man roster would be you probably hit on at least 50 of 53. That means you disagree with the last 3 players to make the team, which are candidates to be released based on waiver/free agent claims and pickups, and if they make it theoretically never suit up on Sundays. To declare the leadership as inept at talent evaluation based on that is ludicrous.

10. The last thing in terms of roster manipulation that no one talks about is how they have to strategically do things based on salary cap, practice squad eligibility, etc. Releasing Brandon Reilly, who at the beginning of camp no one thought would make it, may have been done because they knew there was a high probability that they could add to practice squad.

So given all that I say so far so good. I think there is reason for optimism.

What an excellent post! Bravo!!!

Now be prepared for the snark responses that are supossed to act as some sort of argument.

Honestly, great post.

Wrong, the offense was very playoff-worthy.

The Bills offense would have tied for 6th in scoring in the playoff field........6 teams that made it scored less........and that's COUNTING the sham finale against the Jets that dropped them from 7th overall to 10th.

They also had an NFL record for fewest turnovers in a season until they benched Tyrod.

Like it or not.......these are facts.

Like it or not they got very fat on some bad football teams

Yep. 7th in points after week 15 with a defense that never got you the ball back quickly was terrible.

Got fat on alot of bad football teams but ok

Everyone plays bad teams and fattens up on them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone plays bad teams and fattens up on them lolSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then this offensive talent should shine this year too right you know against tougher teams because after all they are playoff worthy and the talent is back

Everyone plays bad teams and fattens up on them lolSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then this offensive talent should shine this year too right you know against tougher teams because after all they are playoff worthy and the talent is back

And will fatten up on the Jets phins chargers saints colts etc. top five offense

And will fatten up on the Jets phins chargers saints colts etc. top five offense Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok then this is a playoff team.

Though I wont hold my breath or place a bet on that

2600 yards rushing(less than last year). 3500 yards passing. Top five

Ok, you want me to go on record: McBeane doesn't get "their" team until 2019 at least

This year is a wash. I hope I'm wrong, but we were looking at an outside chance at the playoffs to begin with even before the draft. At draft day, we picked up some nice pieces, but it became obvious that the FO's eyes were on the future. The team passed on some interesting star power talent in areas it could have used help in (Howard, Reddic) or swing on an unproven QB (Mahomes) to take an unsexy but solid pick in White and stash a first. But you honestly can't tell me that we are going to get the same production out of EJ Gaines and White as Gilmore and Darby. Maybe we gained more long term, but short term it hurts, no question. A healthy Sammy is undoubtedly better than normal Jordan Matthews.

And I would even be fine with these choices, were it not for the fact that veteran cut down year is 2018. That's when Dareus becomes cuttable, Kyle's contract is done, Shady, Clay, Hughes and Ritchie provide big cap space if cut, and Taylor has almost nothing guaranteed. Which means that, if there's going to be a year to stash a ton of dead money, that money goes to 2019. You also have all those draft picks lined up, which tell me one thing: rookie QB in 2018. The problem is, if you are betting the farm to get a rookie QB and put him in with J Will as your running back, and Zay Jones and no one else as your starting receiver (Matthews finishes his contract) , and you're ripping apart the interior of your D-line, it's going to be a massacre. And that's even if they get the right rookie.

Maybe I'm wrong. Hell I want to be wrong. I call myself a Kool Aid drinker. Maybe a resurgent defense and an offense that does just enough gets us into the playoffs. Maybe we just need a retool, which a loaded draft class gives us the future. But right now it looks like a two year rebuild.

I will go on record and say this. I am not a fan of McDermott and Beane, but I do support them and want them to succeed, for the sake of our Buffalo Bills. With that said, I am nowhere near as high on them as I was when they first got here. McDermott, in my humble opinion, is becoming more and more a control freak who screams, "It's my way or the...actually it's just my way, nothing else." I was shocked to see Pegula give absolute carte blanche to a completely unproven Defensive Coordinator, coming off a few seasons of mediocrity. And I was even more shocked that this first time head coach was allowed to pick his own GM, and not the other way around!! Nonetheless I still supported McD, and as he began a complete housecleaning of the FO, scouting, coaching, I remained optimistic. However, the Sammy trade was the first decision that raised my eyebrows, and tbh, I have been both confused and bewildered with pretty much every move since then. It's as if McDermott is on a crusade(love that word and keep thinking of that picture) to not just rid the team of essentially EVERY Whaley pick, but to show the football world that he and he alone singlehandedly turned this franchise around, from top to bottom. There is a certain air of audaciousness to every move he makes now, and he is making it increasingly harder to both support him and remain optimistic. It's as if he has this Belichick-ean air of cockiness about him, yet he hasn't even won a single game yet. I will go as far as to admit I'm beginning to dislike his attitude, mainly his sureness of himself.

Obviously, if the season comes and we start racking up the W's, I will probably start liking him again. But I guess time will tell...

Tyrod isn't even Alex smith

I don't know about that.

Yards Per Game Yards Per Attempt TD INT

2015 217.9 7.4 20 7

2016 233.5 7.2 15 8

2015 216.8 8.0 20 6

2016 201.5 6.9 17 6

Tell me, which is which?

It's almost as if the cast of players around you has an effect on a QBs play...

I don't know about that.

2015 217.9 7.4 20 7

2016 233.5 7.2 15 8

2015 216.8 8.0 20 6

2016 201.5 6.9 17 6

Tell me, which is which?

Top is smith I'm guessing, no google

A lot seem to be implying Beane and McDermott have NO CHANCE of succeeding.

Me, not having a crytsal ball, I don't know but thet certainly have my attention.

Anyway, for those that do have the crystal ball and have rubbed it and saw the Bills sucking until these two are gone.....state it here. Don't skirt around the issue. You know who you are

(Edited by Moderator)

McBeane will be here AT LEAST 5 years, fans need to come to grips with this.

Tyrod isn't even Alex smith

Damn straight

I don't know about that.

2015 217.9 7.4 20 7

2016 233.5 7.2 15 8

2015 216.8 8.0 20 6

2016 201.5 6.9 17 6

Tell me, which is which?

Which one has lead TWO different teams to the playoffs, and what one is still "developing" in his 7th year? Checkmate. /endthread

For the first time in a long time, we have a HC and a GM on the same page.

Beane is going to work to get McD the players he wants to fit the scheme he wants.

We have some good players on the team already, but we don't know what the atmosphere is like in the clubhouse.

Some of these guys maybe just want out, and a chance to win a ring with the Pats.......nobody talks about that angle.

Some were brought in before Marone and his scheme; some during Marone; some were picked by Rex for his scheme;

now we're doing the same thing, except for McD.

Yes, this year is a wash, and I agree it's a waste for Tyrod to start. He's not in the future. If he has a good year, he'll leave.

Peterman looks like a guy that can throw short quick passes. Tyrod can't do that and never will.

Go Bills !

Think about how much clearer things would have been if the Bills just stayed put and took Mahomes or Watson at #10?

This is a pop-gun Dick J offense.

And the best players remaining are aging: Kyle Williams, Richie Incognito, Eric Wood, LeSean McCoy.

Still no answer at RG or RT (that's 3 years now of no answers). No QB. No #1 WR. No depth at TE. A pedestrian set on LBs and DBs. And when you look at the roster, few up and coming young talents.

They are not close to being competitive and now have to hit on numerous picks to restore talent.

Based on what McDermott has said about how he wants his offense to look, I have little faith this isn't a Dick Jauron 6-10 team in 2009. Can't score, but "works" really hard.

MAJbobby said this up above somewhere: "This regime hasn't even played a meaningful game of football and people are burying hem."

I porpose that this is one of the most flexible sentences ever posted on The Stadium Wall since it applies at any point over the past seventeen years!