2018 Mock drafts and top prospects

Watkins101

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:
Here's where I keep ending up Pre-Combine. Matt Miller's board. Names change sometimes, but the positions generally align with the picks. Sometimes it's Vander-Esch in Rd 2, sometimes it's Josh Adams in Rd 4.

3: R1P3
QB JOSH ROSEN
UCLA

53: R2P21
EDGE CHAD THOMAS
MIAMI (FLA.)

56: R2P24
ILB JOSEY JEWELL
IOWA

96: R3P32
DL TIM SETTLE
VIRGINIA TECH

123: R4P21
RB ROYCE FREEMAN
OREGON

160: R5P21
WR ALLEN LAZARD
IOWA STATE

168: R5P29
OLB OREN BURKS
VANDERBILT

Do you pay for the upgrade to be able to trade? Assuming this is Fanspeak.

Pre combine I like Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph at 21 . Luke Falk or Mike White in 2nd rd . Might mean Peterman to PS

Trade up is hard to predict with so many teams needing a QB.  That's why taking 2 QBs might be the way to go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for draft day, there are going to be tons of bargains if we stay at 21.

21: R1P21

QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE
22: R1P22

LB RASHAAN EVANS
ALABAMA

C JAMES DANIELS
IOWA
56: R2P24

DL HARRISON PHILLIPS
STANFORD
65: R3P1

OT BRIAN O'NEILL
PITTSBURGH

G CODY O' CONNELL
WASHINGTON STATE
121: R4P21

EDGE UCHENNA NWOSU
SOUTHERN CAL
158: R5P21

RB PHILLIP LINDSAY
COLORADO
166: R5P29

WR CEDRICK WILSON
BOISE STATE

• 2 weeks later...

TRADES

TRADE PARTNER:
NEW YORK GIANTS

SENT:

ROUND: 1 PICK: 12

ROUND: 1 PICK: 22

ROUND: 2 PICK: 24

FUTURE ROUND 2 PICK

RECEIVED:

ROUND: 1 PICK: 2

2: R1P2 
QB JOSH ROSEN 
UCLA

OT BRIAN O'NEILL 
PITTSBURGH

65: R3P1 
DL TIM SETTLE 
VIRGINIA TECH

WR JORDAN LASLEY 
UCLA

121: R4P21
 EDGE DUKE EJIOFOR 
WAKE FOREST

166: R5P29 
RB KALEN BALLAGE 
ARIZONA STATE

187: R6P13 
LB OREN BURKS 
VANDERBILT

I used Chris Trapasso's board. By the time the 12th pick came around, all the actually good QB's had been picked so this is the 'What to do if you're stuck with AJ McCarron as your answer' concept draft.

R1 P12 - DL MAURICE HURST - MICHIGAN

R1 P22 - OT ISAIAH WYNN - GEORGIA

R2 P21 - WR CALVIN RIDLEY - ALABAMA

R2 P24 - LB MALIK JEFFERSON - TEXAS

R3 P1 - EDGE JOSH SWEAT - FLORIDA ST.

R3 P32 - DL DERRICK NNADI - FLORIDA ST.

R4 P21 - G WYATT TELLER - VA. TECH

R5 P29 - RB JORDAN WILKINS - OLE MISS

R6 P13 - WR DYLAN CANTRELL - TEXAS TECH

2 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

I used Chris Trapasso's board. By the time the 12th pick came around, all the actually good QB's had been picked so this is the 'What to do if you're stuck with AJ McCarron as your answer' concept draft.

R1 P12 - DL MAURICE HURST - MICHIGAN

R1 P22 - OT ISAIAH WYNN - GEORGIA

R2 P21 - WR CALVIN RIDLEY - ALABAMA

R2 P24 - LB MALIK JEFFERSON - TEXAS

R3 P1 - EDGE JOSH SWEAT - FLORIDA ST.

R3 P32 - DL DERRICK NNADI - FLORIDA ST.

R4 P21 - G WYATT TELLER - VA. TECH

R5 P29 - RB JORDAN WILKINS - OLE MISS

R6 P13 - WR DYLAN CANTRELL - TEXAS TECH

What's the health status of Hurst?

3 hours ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

I cannot see us going through the draft without getting a QB, even if trade opportunities fall through and the top guys are gone.  If that is the case, I still see is taking Rudolph, Jackson or Lauletta.

As Chris's board fell, the first 3 picks were QB and 4 had gone within the top 10. Rudolph & Allen feel like I'd have been reaching for the sake of taking one. In reality, if they don't come out of the Thursday with a QB of the future, it'll be a massive waste of time.  It's been perfectly clear since Beane was appointed that everything is revolving around drafting a QB.

55 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What's the health status of Hurst?

He's been cleared for his pro day so I assume that he's been given the all-clear to pursue his NFL career. If that's the case, dude is a stud.

Edited by Blokestradamus
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

As Chris's board fell, the first 3 picks were QB and 4 had gone within the top 10. Rudolph & Allen feel like I'd have been reaching for the sake of taking one. In reality, if they don't come out of the Thursday with a QB of the future, it'll be a massive waste of time.  It's been perfectly clear since Beane was appointed that everything is revolving around drafting a QB.

He's been cleared for his pro day so I assume that he's been given the all-clear to pursue his NFL career. If that's the case, dude is a stud.

How would you compare Hurst to Aaron Donald who I consider to be one of the best, if not the best, interior defenseman in the league. It seems that their style of play is similar. 

Edited by JohnC

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

How would you compare Hurst to Aaron Donald who I consider to be one of the best, if not the best, interior defenseman in the league. It seems that their style of play is similar. 

I think it's an unfair comparison, simply because Donald is almost unparalleled as an athlete. They're both a similar type though, pin your ears back one-gap rushers that can handle run defense responsibilities really well. For Hurst to have the Sack/TFL production that he has in spite of being misused for large chunks of the past couple of years gives me hope that he'll actually be more productive as a pro.

Trying to think of a best case, worst case for him: Fletcher Cox as a best case, Grady Jarrett as a worst case. If healthy, his floor is really good designated rusher with his ceiling being a devilish creature of the night. 

I used First Pick so that I could trade picks. I know I could get Fanspeak premium but I'm cheap, alright?

Cleveland took Rosen 1st overall. I sent a proposal to the Giants but they stuck and took Saquon 2nd. When the Jets well and truly Jets'd it by taking Josh Allen 3rd, I struck a deal with Cleveland. For the 4th pick, I sent the 12th, 22nd, 53rd & 55th picks.  With the remaining picks, there's a common theme; athleticism.

Round 1 Pick 4 (CLE):  Mayfield, Baker, QB, Oklahoma (A-)
Round 3 Pick 1:  Chark, DJ, WR, LSU (A)
Round 3 Pick 32:  Avery, Genard, ILB, Memphis (B)
Round 4 Pick 21:  Noteboom, Joseph, OT, Texas Christian (A+)
Round 5 Pick 29:  Nichols, Bilal, DT, Delaware (A+)
Round 6 Pick 13:  ODaniel, Dorian, OLB, Clemson (A)

On 3/25/2018 at 6:51 AM, Blokestradamus said:

I used Matt Miller's board, but followed suit with no trading around.

R1 P12 - LB TREMAINE EDMUNDS - VIRGINIA TECH

R1 P22 - LB RASHAAN EVANS - ALABAMA

R2 P21 - QB MASON RUDOLPH - OKLAHOMA STATE

R2 P24 - OT BRIAN O'NEILL - PITTSBURGH

R3 P1 - DL TIM SETTLE - VIRGINIA TECH

R3 P32 - C WILLIAM CLAPP - LSU

R4 P21 - EDGE HERCULES MATA'AFA - WASHINGTON STATE

R5 P29 - RB KALEN BALLAGE - ARIZONA STATE

R6 P13 - WR BRAXTON BERRIOS - MIAMI (FL)

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I used Matt Miller's board, but followed suit with no trading around.

R1 P12 - LB TREMAINE EDMUNDS - VIRGINIA TECH

R1 P22 - LB RASHAAN EVANS - ALABAMA

R2 P21 - QB MASON RUDOLPH - OKLAHOMA STATE

R2 P24 - OT BRIAN O'NEILL - PITTSBURGH

R3 P1 - DL TIM SETTLE - VIRGINIA TECH

R3 P32 - C WILLIAM CLAPP - LSU

R4 P21 - EDGE HERCULES MATA'AFA - WASHINGTON STATE

R5 P29 - RB KALEN BALLAGE - ARIZONA STATE

R6 P13 - WR BRAXTON BERRIOS - MIAMI (FL)

Your board looks like a McBeane draft. The only problem I have with it is that there are so many teams needing qbs there could be a run on the second tier qbs in the second round as there was in the first round. If that is the case then it is unlikely that Rudolph will be there when he make a selection in the second round unless we move up in that round or to the lower first round. But overall your picks represent a plausible Buffalo draft. 

Just now, JohnC said:

Your board looks like a McBeane draft. The only problem I have with it is that there are so many teams needing qbs there could be a run on the second tier qbs in the second round as there was in the first round. If that is the case then it is unlikely that Rudolph will be there when he make a selection in the second round unless we move up in that round or to the lower first round. But overall your picks represent a plausible Buffalo draft. 

I meant to post the alternative, which was:

R2 P21 - WR CHRISTIAN KIRK - TEXAS A&M

R6 P13 - QB RILEY FERGUSON - MEMPHIS

If that feels more realistic.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I meant to post the alternative, which was:

R2 P21 - WR CHRISTIAN KIRK - TEXAS A&M

R6 P13 - QB RILEY FERGUSON - MEMPHIS

If that feels more realistic.

I would be deeply disappointed if the Bills don't come out of this draft with one of the top six qb prospects in this draft. My sense is that McBeane want to address the qb issue this year and move on. I can accept drafting Rudolph or Jackson with a lower first but I will be bothered not coming out of this draft without an upper tier qb prospect. (I consider Jackson and Rudloph good options.) It's my opinion that based on Beane's comments about what he is looking for in a qb that Rudolph fits his profile and would be a good fallback selection.   

Edited by JohnC

Just now, JohnC said:

I would be deeply disappointed if the Bills don't come out of this draft with one of the top six qb prospects in this draft. My sense is that McBeane want to address the qb issue this year and move on. I can accept drafting Rudolph or Jackson with a lower first but I will be bothered not coming out of this draft without upper tier qb prospect. (I consider Jackson and Rudloph good options.) It's my opinion that based on Beane's comments about what he is looking for in a qb that Rudolph fits his profile and would be a good fallback selection.   

I could definitely see them going Rudolph at 22, and then taking Oren Burks as the 2nd LB

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.