So who's YOUR starting qb?

Steptide

Which QB  

449 members have voted

1. 1. So who's YOUR starting qb?

Throwing Peterman to the wolves seems like a bad idea.

I'd rather not risk ruining his development.

They are drafting a QB next season in the top of rd1 so Peterman has a short time to A) get game time experience and B) show what he can do. Starting Tyrod is just wasting time and energy on a QB that will be gone next season.

The only risk I see is sitting him all season and never getting a chance to see him play considering next year's rookie could end up playing right away. In my opinion him playing this season will give him a solid edge to compete with the new top round rookie next season.

I would think that should raise the bar next season for where are QBs should be at.

You won't know if you need to draft a top shelf QB next year unless you start Peterman; you most likely will draft one if you start Taylor. This is not a playoff caliber team at this point, so what's the risk? Peterman shows potential. See if it's not illusory. BTW, everyone keeps saying Watkins is injury prone; what about Taylor?

Even if Peterman does good I would still draft a QB in the top of rd1. Let them fight it out and then use the loser as trade bait after a year or 2. With both being on rookie contracts it's a cheap but very effective way to find that true franchise QB while still getting that value back in my opinion.

He can play this season, but he doesn't need to play week 1. A 5th round rookie like him isn't making it through a 16 game schedule without getting at least a bit shell shocked on this offense with its lack of weapons.

Provided Taylor fails, which I'm fairly certain is going to happen, I'd give Peterman the last 4-5 games to see what he has. He doesn't need to play before then, regardless how bad we are.

I'd rather see him play and get that experience for next year's fight. No reason to save him for anything considering next year's drafted QB should win the job right out of the gate. With him sitting this season next season we would have 2 QBs with no game time experience sadly that would be a reason to keep Tyrod around another season. Yuk Edited by xRUSHx

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He can play this season, but he doesn't need to play week 1. A 5th round rookie like him isn't making it through a 16 game schedule without getting at least a bit shell shocked on this offense with its lack of weapons.

Provided Taylor fails, which I'm fairly certain is going to happen, I'd give Peterman the last 4-5 games to see what he has. He doesn't need to play before then, regardless how bad we are.

This is a totally reasonable position IMO

This is a totally reasonable position IMO

Yup. Peterman gets a 4-5 game audition, and about 300 reps with the offense.

Anymore than that and you risk him developing bad habits which will sewer his long term value as a backup.

Edited by jrober38

No reason to save him for anything considering next year's drafted QB should win the job right out of the gate.

should win the job?

I wouldn't go that far when you don't even know who they're even drafting unless you think a rookie with zero nfl experience can win the job right out of the gate?

seems more like wishful thinking to me.

Yup. Peterman gets a 4-5 game audition, and about 300 reps with the offense.

Anymore than that and you risk him developing bad habits which will sewer his long term value as a backup.

The problem with having him sit till later in the season is for one if Tyrod has this team in a downward spiral like we all expect he could come in and do good while fans will want him to lose so we can draft a QB. I would think fans could end up resenting him because of how bad they want a franchise worthy QB. If he starts the season and has this team winning this season or at least giving a good fight fans will see that and get behind him. I tend to think putting him in after a failed season of a team needing to move up the draft board is going to create a even bigger hate for him to lose so we can get the cream of next years draft crop. Edited by xRUSHx

The problem with having him sit till later in the season is for one if Tyrod has this team in a downward spiral like we all expect he could come in and do good while fans will want him to lose so we can draft a QB. I would think fans could end up resenting him because of how bad they want a franchise worthy QB. If he starts the season and has this team winning this season or at least giving a good fight fans will see that and get behind him. I tend to think putting him in after a failed season of a team needing to move up the draft board is going to create a even bigger hate for him to lose so we can get the cream of next years draft crop.

That's a non-issue.

should win the job?

I wouldn't go that far when you don't even know who they're even drafting unless you think a rookie with zero nfl experience can win the job right out of the gate?

seems more like wishful thinking to me.

A top talent drafted at the top of the draft more then likely will show his top talent right out of the gate so yes I would expect next year's QB to be head and beyond what is on our roster as of now.

Not wishful thinking. It's like drafting Luck, yes you play him because yes he is that good.

A top talent drafted at the top of the draft more then likely will show his top talent right out of the gate so yes I would expect next year's QB to be head and beyond what is on our roster as of now.

Not wishful thinking. It's like drafting Luck, yes you play him because yes he is that good.

well, since you're so certain. I have no doubt they will draft one. whether he starts out the gate remains to be seen and I know I couldn't say so with any certainty but that's why I'm no GM, HC or scout.

Not all rookies get shell shocked being "thrown in the fire".

A 16 game "audition" is far better than a 5 game "audition" if you ask me.

either way, chances are good it'll be nothing more than game experience as I don't see the kid or taylor leading them to the promise land. nor do I believe the rookie drafted would out the gate. sure, one can hope and wish it to be true but at this point they have no clue who will be available or who they even draft at this juncture?

the closer the season gets, the less optimistic I am about this team contending this season and possibly even the next two or three?

I'm getting too old for these regime changes every two or three years and fear I may never see them in the post season again?

I agree.

They're not asking him to decide on whether to launch a nuclear missile. It's football.

If his psyche can't handle playing 16 games - even without any talent around him - then he's not cut from the right cloth, anyway.

Move Tyrod to WR (and QB3), just press Peterman into action. Boom. Tyrod's not a jerk and will play out his last year as a Bill that way (and hey, maybe catch lightning in a bottle).

I know you're kidding but we actually did that in the 60's with Marlon Briscoe -- and it worked.

I agree.

They're not asking him to decide on whether to launch a nuclear missile. It's football.

If his psyche can't handle playing 16 games - even without any talent around him - then he's not cut from the right cloth, anyway.

Right on man, yes it's this simple

The problem with having him sit till later in the season is for one if Tyrod has this team in a downward spiral like we all expect he could come in and do good while fans will want him to lose so we can draft a QB. I would think fans could end up resenting him because of how bad they want a franchise worthy QB. If he starts the season and has this team winning this season or at least giving a good fight fans will see that and get behind him. I tend to think putting him in after a failed season of a team needing to move up the draft board is going to create a even bigger hate for him to lose so we can get the cream of next years draft crop.

He's not going to come in and do well.

The Bills have one of the worst offenses in the NFL on paper. We've got nothing at WR except a couple possession guys who can't stretch the field, we have a leaky o line, and a running back who has been banged up a couple times over the past two years.

If anyone is expecting Peterman, a 5th round pick, to come in and win games as a rookie with this supporting cast, you need your head read.

Really?

When was the last time a 5th round QB came into the NFL and didn't look completely overwhelmed?

I'll wait......

Edited by jrober38

He's not going to come in and do well.

The Bills have one of the worst offenses in the NFL on paper. We've got nothing at WR except a couple possession guys who can't stretch the field, we have a leaky o line, and a running back who has been banged up a couple times over the past two years.

If anyone is expecting Peterman, a 5th round pick, to come in and win games as a rookie with this supporting cast, you need your head read.

Really?

When was the last time a 5th round QB came into the NFL and didn't look completely overwhelmed?

I'll wait......

There was this 6th rounder once. Name escapes me.

I agree with this for the most part. I would even think of making the change at the midway point of the season if Tyrod is not getting it done. That would give him the chance to get his feet wet in our 2nd meeting versus the Jets, followed up by the Saints and Chargers. Hopefully he would be used to the speed of the game by then when we have to play the Chiefs, Pats twice, Dolphins, and Colts in between after that.

peterman is no brady, not even close.

Let me guess .... you're one of those guys who "followed Brady during his Michigan days," and knew he'd be a star.

I didn't say Peterman was Brady. I didn't even come close.

But you're acting as if it's unprecedented for a late round QB to come in and play and feel comfortable. It's not. Is it likely? No. Is it impossible? Obviously not.

And I don't see one person saying they expect Peterman to come in and win. Winning and Losing are what teams do, anyway.

Letting him play all season hurts no one. And if it hurts him, then he isn't the guy. Better to find out sooner rather than later. And you never know ... see: Dak Prescott.