Watkins and Zay Jones combine numbers

I'm not bringing this up to say Zay Jones is Sammy Watkins...I'm not. They're different WR's obviously.

I heard Sal C talk about how close their 40's were....so I decided to look this up and was a little surprised and what I found.

40 times:

Jones - 4.45

Watkins - 4.43

Vertical:

Jones - 36.5

Watkins - 34

3 cone:

Jones - 6.79

Watkins - 6.95

20 yard shuttle:

Jones - 4.01

Watkins - 4.34

I think we're all concerned that we may have 3 slot WR and who can really play the outside successfully?

Jones measurables beat Watkins in almost everyone category except 40 but that's .02 of a difference. Again, not saying that this means he's going to be Watkins or even better but until today, I never knew how close they were as far as measurables. Jones 20 yard shuttle is really impressive.

With his great production in college along with pretty good physical measurables....I feel a little better about Jones.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Combine #s dont mean a whole lot. Zay Jones ran faster than people thought because he plays slower. Only speed that counts is football speed. McCoy not the fastest straight line.

Well the 3 cone drill and short shuttle don't measure straight line speed, in fact they are primarily run to evaluate the agility, quickness and fluidity of movement

Combine #s dont mean a whole lot. Zay Jones ran faster than people thought because he plays slower. Only speed that counts is football speed. McCoy not the fastest straight line.

But he also got behind defensive backs in the Senior Bowl.

It's not just the 40....he's faster in the 3 cone and shuttle which "showcases" quickness.

He's not as fast as Sammy on the field but being taller and with a big vertical....he's more of a guy you throw it up to go get it as opposed to Sammy just running underneath it. I think Zay will be able to get down field and be a deep threat.

I'm not bringing this up to say Zay Jones is Sammy Watkins...I'm not. They're different WR's obviously.

I heard Sal C talk about how close their 40's were....so I decided to look this up and was a little surprised and what I found.

40 times:

Jones - 4.45

Watkins - 4.43

Vertical:

Jones - 36.5

Watkins - 34

3 cone:

Jones - 6.79

Watkins - 6.95

20 yard shuttle:

Jones - 4.01

Watkins - 4.34

I think we're all concerned that we may have 3 slot WR and who can really play the outside successfully?

Jones measurables beat Watkins in almost everyone category except 40 but that's .02 of a difference. Again, not saying that this means he's going to be Watkins or even better but until today, I never knew how close they were as far as measurables. Jones 20 yard shuttle is really impressive.

With his great production in college along with pretty good physical measurables....I feel a little better about Jones.

Alot of people underestimate those measurables. If they didnt mean anytging at all the combine wouldnt occur. Mathews 40 is pretty close to Watkins' 40 time too.

But he also got behind defensive backs in the Senior Bowl.

It's not just the 40....he's faster in the 3 cone and shuttle which "showcases" quickness.

He's not as fast as Sammy on the field but being taller and with a big vertical....he's more of a guy you throw it up to go get it as opposed to Sammy just running underneath it. I think Zay will be able to get down field and be a deep threat.

I concur. :lol:

People presume Zay can't do certain things because of the offense he played in. I always believed he could play outside and be a down field threat and argued pre-draft with the guys saying Zay Jones is just a slot / possession receiver..... the question - which I think is fair to ask - is can he be that THIS year? I thought it might take some time but that he had that time and could be deployed largely in the slot this year as he acclimates to the NFL. Now the need to move him outside may well force that transition to happen more quickly.

Goodwin had very good combine numbers but obviously he wasn't much of a player. the combine doesn't tell the whole story. the first thing scouts look at is the TAPE. the combine numbers are just another tool to help solidify what they see on film.

Here are James Hardy's. RIP. Remember he was 6'6.

40 times:

Jones - 4.45

Watkins - 4.43

Hardy - 4.49

Vertical:

Jones - 36.5

Watkins - 34

Hardy - 31.5 (37 at pro day)

3 cone:

Jones - 6.79

Watkins - 6.95

Hardy - 6.84

20 yard shuttle:

Jones - 4.01

Watkins - 4.34

Hardy - 4.28

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Goodwin had very good combine numbers but obviously he wasn't much of a player. the combine doesn't tell the whole story. the first thing scouts look at is the TAPE. the combine numbers are just another tool to help solidify what they see on film.

Well Goodwin is also much smaller and didn't have good production in college.

Zay Jones had phenomenal production in college and solid combine numbers....that's why he was drafted as high as he was.

Goodwin was drafted on one thing...his speed.

Edited by Teeflebees

If Jones was slower on all the drills, would it make you feel better or worse about him?

I feel like he has the potential to be a good NFL WR and I look forward to seeing what he can do. Combines drills...meh. Game film against real competition is what matters IMO.

I feel like he has the potential to be a good NFL WR and I look forward to seeing what he can do. Combines drills...meh. Game film against real competition is what matters IMO.

I agree but Jones is also has good game film and great production. It's not like he's just purely a combine star where film doesn't reflect it.

Here are James Hardy's. RIP. Remember he was 6'6.

40 times:

Jones - 4.45

Watkins - 4.43

Hardy - 4.49

Vertical:

Jones - 36.5

Watkins - 34

Hardy - 31.5 (37 at pro day)

3 cone:

Jones - 6.79

Watkins - 6.95

Hardy - 6.84

20 yard shuttle:

Jones - 4.01

Watkins - 4.34

Hardy - 4.28

The Bills desperation for large reciever/redzone target led to the James Hardy(rip) pick.