Eclipse Glasses

What's the take on the whole ISO # thing? NASA only recommending specific manufacturers? Thoughts on the whole approved manufacturers thing?

I will be @ work during the eclipse and have my welding hood to use, should I just use my hood instead of this:

Seems I ordered pairs of "knockoff" eclipse glasses back in May. All they have is the ISO & SEI-C (Canadian) logos on them... But NO numbers and certifications and not from NASA approved manufacturers. They are UV400, seem well made, plastic frames...

...I think they are European/Canadian... I gather before Amazon pulled the pages just recently, the seller was out of Toronto.

I already tested the glasses (was that stupid?) weeks ago against the full blast of the sun and I am not blind. LoL... Well I don't think I am blind... Contrary to popular belief here.

Here is the e-mail I got today from Amazon. They are applying a balance to my Amazon account for money I spent, under $25 for 6 pairs. Is Amazon in CYA mode:

"Hello,

Were writing to provide you with important safety information about the eclipse products you purchased on Amazon (order #xxxxxxxxx for EletecPro Plastic Eclipse Glasses 4-Pack,Safety eclipse Shades Goggles - CE and ISO certified, One Size Fits All, Better Than Glasses! Solar Filter and Viewer Black(4 PACK)).

To protect your eyes when viewing the sun or an eclipse, NASA and the American Astronomical Society (AAS) advise you to use solar eclipse glasses or other solar filters from recommended manufacturers. Viewing the sun or an eclipse using any other glasses or filters could result in loss of vision or permanent blindness.

Amazon has not received confirmation from the supplier of your order that they sourced the item from a recommended manufacturer. We recommend that you DO NOT use this product to view the sun or the eclipse.

Amazon is applying a balance for the purchase price to Your Account (please allow 7-10 days for this to appear on Your Account). There is no need for you to return the product. You can view your available balance and activity here:

xxxxxxxxxxx

For more information about safely viewing a solar eclipse please see the NASA and AAS websites.

If you purchased this item for someone else, please pass along this information to the recipient.

We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

Amazon.com"

If this gets PPP...

Many takes on this, our litigious society, etc... Should this just be merged into a PPP thread. Should we love gov't or hate them? Love the entrepreneur or hate them?

Oh... This is a lighthearted thread about potential blindness... ALL JOKES WELCOME!

"...But, mama, that's where the fun is

But, mama, that's where the fun is

Mama always told me not to look into the eye's of the sun

But, mama, that's where the fun is..."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe outside

And little Early-Pearly came by in his curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride

The song came about when Columbia president Clive Davis, upon listening to an early version of Greetings from Asbury Park N.J., felt the album lacked a potential single. Springsteen wrote this and "Spirit in the Night" in response.

According to Springsteen, the song came about from going through a rhyming dictionary in search of appropriate words. The first line of the song, "Madman drummers, bummers, and Indians in the summers with a teenage diplomat" is autobiographical—"Madman drummers" is a reference to drummer Vini Lopez, known as "Mad Man" (later changed to "Mad Dog"); "Indians in the summer" refers to the name of Springsteen's old Little League team; "teenage diplomat" refers to himself.[citation needed] The remainder of the song tells of many unrelated events, with the refrain of "Blinded by the light, cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night".

"Blinded by the Light" was the first song on, and first single from Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. Springsteen's version was commercially unsuccessful and did not appear on the music charts.

This partial will be the 4th I will have witnessed in the last 25 years (one in CT and two in CA). With a partial , stand where the light filters down through the trees. Normally, the sun appears as round spots. During the partial eclipse, the sun will appear as crescents. Also, if you have venetian blinds with the cord running through them, the sports where the sun shines through as dots will appear as crescents. I will wait until the total eclipse in 7 years in 2024 and will see it from Cheektowaga.

Edited by Wacka

Funny, I just read about this AAS crackdown. The president of that organization was very adamant that those knockoffs are going to cause eye damage.

They go through rigorous testing before becoming an approved dealer.

I wouldn't mess with that.

He said Chinese companies were putting fale stickers on and sending in bogus test results.

I went to toys r us today to pick something up and a guy asked about the eclipse glasses and the cashier said they sold out the glasses as soon as they got them in.....if I remember correctly I think you can hold a piece of glass over a candle to darken it and use that or drop acid and stare at the sun.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

Funny, I just read about this AAS crackdown. The president of that organization was very adamant that those knockoffs are going to cause eye damage.

They go through rigorous testing before becoming an approved dealer.

I wouldn't mess with that.

He said Chinese companies were putting fale stickers on and sending in bogus test results.

I wonder if that is a "reverse" scam... Way for over-protective government to corner the market?

???

Too late.

I already used them to look @ the sun many times in last 3 months. Of course and no eye damage the last 3 months. Of course, I don't wear them and stare for more that a minute or more and let my eyes adjust either way and I still cup my hands around edges like a welding hood would protect you.

Kinda boring anyway... Just a faint orange dot.

And what is SEI-C anyway? It also has that on the package.

I do understand governments concern... Can't have stupid people going blind, staring at sun.

Protecting stupid people from stupid people I suppose.

And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe outside

And little Early-Pearly came by in his curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride

The song came about when Columbia president Clive Davis, upon listening to an early version of Greetings from Asbury Park N.J., felt the album lacked a potential single. Springsteen wrote this and "Spirit in the Night" in response.

According to Springsteen, the song came about from going through a rhyming dictionary in search of appropriate words. The first line of the song, "Madman drummers, bummers, and Indians in the summers with a teenage diplomat" is autobiographical—"Madman drummers" is a reference to drummer Vini Lopez, known as "Mad Man" (later changed to "Mad Dog"); "Indians in the summer" refers to the name of Springsteen's old Little League team; "teenage diplomat" refers to himself.[citation needed] The remainder of the song tells of many unrelated events, with the refrain of "Blinded by the light, cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night".

"Blinded by the Light" was the first song on, and first single from Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. Springsteen's version was commercially unsuccessful and did not appear on the music charts.

When I saw him do this in Rochester in 2003, he said it was his only #1 hit - but not sung by him, but by Manfred Mann.............He said if only he knew to sing douche instead of deuce.

I wonder if that is a "reverse" scam... Way for over-protective government to corner the market?

???

Too late.

I already used them to look @ the sun many times in last 3 months. Of course and no eye damage the last 3 months. Of course, I don't wear them and stare for more that a minute or more and let my eyes adjust either way and I still cup my hands around edges like a welding hood would protect you.

Kinda boring anyway... Just a faint orange dot.

And what is SEI-C anyway? It also has that on the package.

I do understand governments concern... Can't have stupid people going blind, staring at sun.

Protecting stupid people from stupid people I suppose.

The manufacturers and distributers of those glasses are not government.

The effects are long-term.

I don't know what SEI-C is.

The manufacturers and distributers of those glasses are not government.

The effects are long-term.

I don't know what SEI-C is.

I know. But it probably costs something to jump through all the hoops.

I guess they have to tightly control the standards.

When I saw him do this in Rochester in 2003, he said it was his only #1 hit - but not sung by him, but by Manfred Mann.............He said if only he knew to sing douche instead of deuce.

1932-1934 Ford Model B. '32 "Duece"... "Little Duece Coupe" (Beach Boys) etc... Succeeded the Model A. One of the easiest, most flexible cars in history to customize. Very popular hotrod.

Thanks! Probably will be cloudy here tomorrow. :-(

Was supposed to be 90%. Oh well, there is 2024 (April I think) in BFLo for totality.

Wow - I had no idea:

"Buffalo and Rochester are right in the middle of the path, where the minutes of blackness will be the longest," said Marnie Eisenstadt of NewYorkUpstate.com. "Syracuse is on the edge, but still will experience complete darkness."

23250555-mmmain.jpg