Wall Street Firm attempting to buy....

Report: Firms make $3B bid to buy

NHLNHL

3/3/2005

A U.S. based Wall Street buyout firm and a sports advisory company have put together a proposal to buy all 30 NHL teams for just over $100 million U.S. a team - a total of more than $3 billion U.S. for the entire league, reports the Globe and Mail.

Invited by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to make their pitch, the newspaper confirmed that Bain Capital Partners LLC and Game Plan International held a 20-minute purchase presentation to NHL owners during the board of governors meeting on Tuesday in New York.

The Toronto Star also reported that the two Boston based firms told the league owners that it had also arranged for a large Canadian-based financier to join its efforts.

NHL executive vice-president Bill Daly was cautious in describing the level of interest the proposal received from around the governors' table.

''I'm not going to characterize it,'' Daly told the Globe and Mail. ''I would imagine different clubs had different feelings. The board listened to a presentation and that's about it.''

Daly said the league was compelled to listen to the groups based on the significance of the offer.

''When someone's offering over $3 billion, we felt we had an obligation to the board to have them, at least, hear it from the proposed purchaser.''

For the deal to go through, all 30 owners would have to agree to sell their franchises to the consortium. The purchase would not be dependent on the NHL reaching an accord with the players, and a sale would not affect the status of the NHL Players' Association as the bargaining agent for players under U.S. and Canadian labour laws.

A person familiar with the matter told the Toronto Star no future discussions were scheduled between the two sides.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine this would be the end of the small market franchise.

260154[/snapback]

I dont think so, I think if they but the league, they can control costs, salaries, and place the teams where they will do best i.e. the North and Canada. Small market teams still do good in certain places, as long as there's a draw, I think they'll plce the teams just about anywhere.

Of course, what do I know about hockey, I grew up in Miami.

New contest: Best name for the "new" Mexico City Franchise.

260246[/snapback]

:doh:;)

Mexico City Jalapenos....get locals to play, pay the players and your employees in pesos....rake in US dollars when playing on the road...team would make a BUNDLE

get locals to play, pay the players and your employees in pesos....rake in US dollars when playing on the road...team would make a BUNDLE

260283[/snapback]

Player salaries would barely break $100. And that's a good day for them. A friend of mine is mexican in our FFL and his team is the: Tijuana Tomato Pickers. :doh:

Booy, talk about  anti-trust issues.

260287[/snapback]

IBM has offices throughout the world, and all of the employees work for IBM, not the "London Office" or the "Toronto Office" and IBM can assign salary ranges for different positions, contingent upon performance. Below average performers receive lower pay, middle-of-the-road employees receive a salary at the midpoint of their range for that position, and exemplorary employees receive pay at the high end of their salary range. A company I worked for had a similar program and it worked fine. I was in management and while my team was not union, the same program was used in the mid-west where there was unionized labor with no issues or problems.

I do not see how the ownership consortium would be in violation of anti-trust laws any more than any other large employer with offices in multiple locations using a similar pay model. In fact, I think this type of arrangement is long overdue in professional sports.

IBM has offices throughout the world, and all of the employees work for IBM, not the "London Office" or the "Toronto Office" and IBM can assign salary ranges for different positions, contingent upon performance.  Below average performers receive lower pay, middle-of-the-road employees receive a salary at the midpoint of their range for that position, and exemplorary employees receive pay at the high end of their salary range.  A company I worked for had a similar program and it worked fine.  I was in management and while my team was not union, the same program was used in the mid-west where there was unionized labor with no issues or problems.

I do not see how the ownership consortium would be in violation of anti-trust laws any more than any other large employer with offices in multiple locations using a similar pay model.  In fact, I think this type of arrangement is long overdue in professional sports.

260447[/snapback]

So , how do you trade players? you own em all, how effective would Bettman be? Would he even be continue to be needed?

So , how do you trade players? you own em all, how effective would Bettman be? Would he even be continue to be needed?

260463[/snapback]

Keep the system in place now, just eliminate owners. Now GMS are hired and fired depending on how good a job they're doing, and that would continue. Instead of coming from an owner, those decicions would come from NHL HQ.

For example, lets say a gM starts a new 5 year contract. For him to keep his job, HQ states that the team must be over .500 for at least 3 of those seasons, and must make the playoffs once. He meets the goals, he gets a raise. He doesn't, buh bye.

Players would get the same things (different goals, asst, depending on what pay bracket you are in) Meet the goals or exceed, move up. Dont meet, move down. Same for Head Coaches, with the assistants being hired and fired by the head coach. (Same for GM hiring and firinf the front office).

260463[/snapback]

No commish needed probably...but each team will still be run independently...with GM's scouts, etc...

Not sure if I like it though...with 1 owner, can that 1 owner attempt to conspire to have certian teams get certian players?