Wall Street Firm attempting to buy....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And with a number like $3.5 Billion, it seems like some owners would be getting less than they paid for their team.  $116 Million per team.

260880[/snapback]

I'm just guessing at how these things work, but I imagine that the price for NY Rangers would be much higher than the price for the Buffalo Sabres. The total price is $3.5Bn, which will include a wide range of values for each team.

New contest: Best name for the "new" Mexico City Franchise.

260246[/snapback]

How about, 'The Gorditas'?

They already do this in the MLS (have one single owner). I don't follow it. How does it seem to work there?

260671[/snapback]

I'm not exactly sure either, but thus far the MLS is doing just fine in a country where pro soccer is nothing more than an afterthought.

By the way, if anyone wants to see an amazing example of an HD broadcast, check out an MLS game on HDNet.......

I'm just guessing at how these things work, but I imagine that the price for NY Rangers would be much higher than the price for the Buffalo Sabres.  The total price is $3.5Bn, which will include a wide range of values for each team.

260911[/snapback]

ESPNRadio said this morning that they are offering just over 100 million per team. All teams paid the same amount. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but I guess if they're buying all the teams it doesn't matter.

ESPNRadio said this morning that they are offering just over 100 million per team. All teams paid the same amount. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but I guess if they're buying all the teams it doesn't matter.

261239[/snapback]

But it would be like saying "I have 5 Billion Dollars. I want to buy all of the grape fields in the US". Great so, the owner of one field in Niagara county is cool with it, he gets, say $1Million/acre (just making up numbers here, folks). A guy in Napa Valley wouldn't be expected to sell his land for the same price, or ever sell it at all...

There's no way this goes over since each team is privately owned.

261239[/snapback]

Was this reported as part of the news or part of the talk portion? I usually find that most sports reporters have little grasp of financial issues, even as they relate to the sports they cover. Are you sure they didn't do a simple arithmetic by dividing 30 into $3Bn?

There's no way Detroit & Rangers agree to $100MM each, while Golisano who basically got Sabres for free would get $100MM.

But it would be like saying "I have 5 Billion Dollars. I want to buy all of the grape fields in the US". Great so, the owner of one field in Niagara county is cool with it, he gets, say $1Million/acre (just making up numbers here, folks). A guy in Napa Valley wouldn't be expected to sell his land for the same price, or ever sell it at all...

261240[/snapback]

This firm just needs to get government involved and say that it is part of urban renewal or something and force all the owners to sell their teams below market price.

It was during the talk portion. And it was also talked about how difficult it will be because you need all 30 owners to sign it.

261253[/snapback]

Sorry if someone mentioned this before, but it seems just a way for the owners to put pressure on the players. You don't like a salary cap? What do you think of having no bidding up of your services? Sign the deal, or else...

Sorry if someone mentioned this before, but it seems just a way for the owners to put pressure on the players. You don't like a salary cap? What do you think of having no bidding up of your services? Sign the deal, or else...

261260[/snapback]

It was another thing that was reported. They said that there had to be an agreement in place BEFORE the purchase would go through...

261240[/snapback]

The article I read (from the AP, I believe) said that it would clearly need all 30 owners on board with this. I think the article also said that it would get the owners out of the hockey business, which some owners would be relieved with - my own words there, not quoting thre article.

Regarding the operation....

"It's taking the National Hockey League and its 30 teams and operating it as any large corporation does with each team essentially being a division of one company," Caporale said. "We would keep in place team management, team presidents, the GMs. They would be completely autonomous."

If this is really true, then I can't see the idea of "moving" players to bigger markets for more exposure. I'd be real impressed if they could keep the same structure in place.

It was another thing that was reported. They said that there had to be an agreement in place BEFORE the purchase would go through...

261264[/snapback]

If that's the case, I don't think this is going to happen. It seems like owners are much happier to sell if this firm would be taking away the risk of continued labor strife.

Golisano has got to be pretty excited about this situation... "I guess I'll take $110 million for my team. I hate to do it... but for the betterment of the game...."

261262[/snapback]

Well, it wouldn't quite work that way...

Each team would be bought with a number based on their current market value. I'm presuming that's how they came up with the $3.5 billion. It really wouldn't be fair to the larger market teams that are worth more than $110 million right now.

How much did he pay for it originally?

261268[/snapback]

He basically put up $20mil in cash and assumed some arena debt, which was restrctured. I recall the total stated price was about $50MM - $60MM, but the money that Golisano was at risk for, was significantly less. The reason for the fire sale is that Sabres were losing $10MM-$20MM/yr and the new owner would have to subsidize the team for the forseeable future.