August Movies: Dark Tower, Hitman's Bodyguard, & Detroit

Mark Vader

With some of the highest critic grades throughout the summer going to plenty of movies in July, the month of August rolls in to close out the Summer Season of movies, hoping to grab some last second cash from viewers, before school & football start. August has always been the slowest and least lucrative of the summer months, yet there is always one or two movies that can make some noise. There are very few action movies left this summer as this month focuses mostly on drama and horror.

Idris Elba & Matthew McConaughey star in "The Dark Tower". The last Gunslinger, Roland Deschain, has been locked in an eternal battle with Walter O'Dim, also known as the Man in Black, determined to prevent him from toppling the Dark Tower, which holds the universe together. Also starring Tom Taylor, Katheryn Winnick & Jackie Earle Haley.

Ryan Reynolds & Samuel L. Jackson star in "The Hitman's Bodyguard". The world's top bodyguard gets a new client, a hit man who must testify at the International Court of Justice. They must put their differences aside and work together to make it to the trial on time. Also starring Gary Oldman and Salma Hayek.

Five years after "Zero Dark Thirty", director Kathryn Bigelow returns with, "Detroit". Amidst the chaos of the Detroit Rebellion, with the city under curfew and as the Michigan National Guard patrolled the streets, three young African American men were murdered at the Algiers Motel. Starring John Boyega, Terrance Mackie, Algee Smith & Jacob Latimore.

Brie Larson stars in "The Glass Castle". A young girl comes of age in a dysfunctional family of nonconformist nomads with a mother who's an eccentric artist and an alcoholic father who would stir the children's imagination with hope as a distraction to their poverty. Also starring Woody Harrelson, Naomie Watts & Ella Anderson.

In "Annabelle: Creation", Several years after the tragic death of their little girl, a dollmaker and his wife welcome a nun and several girls from a shuttered orphanage into their home, soon becoming the target of the dollmaker's possessed creation, Annabelle. Starring Miranda Otto, Stephanie Sigman, Lulu Wilson & Talitha Bateman.

In "Polaroid", High school loner Bird Fitcher has no idea what dark secrets are tied to the mysterious Polaroid vintage camera she stumbles upon, but it doesn't take long to discover that those who have their picture taken meet a tragic end. Starring Kathryn Prescott, Madelaine Petsch, Katie Stevens & Javier Botet.

In "All Saints", based on the inspiring true story of salesman-turned-pastor Michael Spurlock, the tiny church he was ordered to shut down, and a group of refugees from Southeast Asia. Together, they risked everything to plant seeds for a future that might just save them all. Starring John Corbett, Cara Buono, Barry Corbin & David Keith.

Halle Berry stars in "Kidnap". A mother stops at nothing to recover her kidnapped son. Also starring Sage Correa, Chris McGinn & Lew Temple.

Finally in "The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature", Following the events of the first film, Surly and his friends must stop Oakton City's mayor from destroying their home to make way for a dysfunctional amusement park. Starring the voices of Will Arnett, Katherine Heigl, Maya Rudolph & Jackie Chan.

Calendar with Trailers

8/4

"The Dark Tower": http://www.thedarktower-movie.com/site/

"Kidnap": http://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi887011609?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

"Detroit": http://detroit.movie/

8/11

"Annabelle: Creation": http://annabellemovie.com/

"The Glass Castle": http://www.lionsgate.com/movies/theglasscastle/

"Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature": http://thenutjob.com/

8/18

"The Hitman's Bodyguard": http://www.thehitmansbodyguard.movie/

8/25

"Polaroid": http://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi198687001?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

"All Saints": http://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi3587488025?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

That's all for now. I'll post some Independent Films later. Until then.....Enjoy!

None of these interest me enough to see in a theater.

None of these interest me enough to make my usual snarky drive-by remark. I'm reminded of Delroy Lindo's line in Get Shorty: "I've seen better film on teeth."

While not surprised, I'm still bummed The Dark Tower is getting ravaged in the reviews.

Vader's description almost sounds promising, until you get to "which holds the universe together."

Then I just want to pour peroxide in my eyes, so I never have to read something that tragic again.

Having read all 7 of the original Dark Tower books (at least 1 more came out after the final chapter) I have less than no interest in seeing it on screen. It's not possible to do it justice.

Also, the first book wasn't that great anyway. Wizzard and Glass was easily the best of the series.

Off topic, I read that Warner Bros. is working on an Oscar push for "Wonder Woman" for Best Picture.

I'm sorry, "Wonder Woman" was not THAT good. There is a great deal of overreaction to this movie.

I would be very upset if this happened.

If there are any comic book movies that deserve to be nominated for Best Picture it would be either, "Logan" or "Spider-Man: Homecoming". They are superior movies.

Off topic, I read that Warner Bros. is working on an Oscar push for "Wonder Woman" for Best Picture.

I'm sorry, "Wonder Woman" was not THAT good. There is a great deal of overreaction to this movie.

If there are any comic book movies that deserve to be nominated for Best Picture it would be either, "Logan" or "Spider-Man: Homecoming". They are superior movies.

Great, so between Dunkirk's inevitable nominations and Wonder Woman's likely lack thereof, we get a couple months of storyline about how the Oscars are racist AND sexist.

Can we just promise Patty Jenkins an award in exchange for not having to listen to any of that **** this year?

While not surprised, I'm still bummed The Dark Tower is getting ravaged in the reviews.

Why did they feel they couldn't tell the story that was in the book?

I saw the trailer and said wtf. It looked nothing like the book and had me wondering if I could actually read.

Looked it up on the internet and found that it wasn't supposed to reallyy follow the book at all, and that it was more of a sequel/separate story. At that point, I lost all interest.

Like you said, I'm not surprised, but I really don't get how they dropped the ball on this. It seems like such a layup to make a good series of movies out of this. Maybe it would be better on TV. I don't know. I'm just bummed because I was actually looking forward to going to see this. I never learn my lesson. I was one of the dummies that actually watched Cell.

Great, so between Dunkirk's inevitable nominations and Wonder Woman's likely lack thereof, we get a couple months of storyline about how the Oscars are racist AND sexist.

Can we just promise Patty Jenkins an award in exchange for not having to listen to any of that **** this year?

Ugh! If it doesn't get nominated, that's all we will hear about. :sick:

Agree with all you guys on the futility of trying to make the Dark Tower series into a 1.5 hour film. It was a fool's errand from the start. I did get excited by the casting, figuring they'd at least give those actors something juicy on the page but oh well. I'm not sure if it would work on TV, but there was long rumored talks of an HBO series headed by a few different people that I could get behind. I think that's dead now though with this movie... unless it rises above the reviews and makes a ton of cash I guess.

It's going to happen. I'm not sure it'll be a real contender, but with the expanded best picture category I'm guessing it'll at least get a nom there. Jenkins has a chance to get a directing nom too - though I agree I don't think it should win for either.

I expect Logan to get nominated too for best picture - a long shot, but I think it has a good chance. The academy loves to reward a film like that that caps off Stewart's and Jackman's characters.

Brace yourself... it's coming.

It's going to happen. I'm not sure it'll be a real contender, but with the expanded best picture category I'm guessing it'll at least get a nom there. Jenkins has a chance to get a directing nom too - though I agree I don't think it should win for either.

I expect Logan to get nominated too for best picture - a long shot, but I think it has a good chance. The academy loves to reward a film like that that caps off Stewart's and Jackman's characters.

Brace yourself... it's coming.

I hope you are wrong about "Wonder Woman", it just is not worthy of being nominated.

You seem more optimistic about "Logan" getting recognition, than I do. In which case, I hope you are right. I would love to see Hugh Jackman get a Best Actor nomination too, although he might cancel himself out with "The Greatest Showman On Earth" as well.

"Detroit" is being blasted as SJW propaganda against white people. Also... cops bad.

Expect an Oscar.

Yeah, no shot I'm spending money on that ****. I'll stick with the smaller-budget films this month if there's any indie stuff worth seeing.