NFL Willing to Work with Players on MJ for Pain Management

I was a bartender for about 5 years....I wasn't much better than a drug dealer?

You're being for real about this too aren't you? Gambling also can ruin lives....I guess if you see a Jack Black dealer, it should be legal to put a bullet in their head?

The bar owners made money. Probably a lot if they knew what they are doing. The people who they made the money from are probably in really bad shape. Their families, if no one has give up on them, are paying for it for years to take care of them. If they have no family they're warehoused in some nursing home which is a nightmare.

If someone got mad and took it out on you, how's that my problem? How's that society's problem at large?

Libertarianism is a two way street. If you're going to sell drugs, don't ask for help when people get mad at you.

I'm not advocating people come after you, but I'm not going to do anything if they do. Probably would be best then not to get people mad at you.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure the percentage of people that try marijuana and then escalate is any greater than the percentage of people that pop a perscription drug and then escalate. In fact, I'd venture that the opposite is true. The percentage of people that experiment with OXY or Vicodin and then get into heroin is likely greater than the percentage of people that go from weed to heroin.

Well I can tell you from personal experience...my son...was a very good athlete in HS, started smoking pot...in college, tried oxy and that ilk, graduated to heroin, six years later he's dead...most of his buddies in recovery, pretty much took the same exact path. He never liked alcohol, but probably had an addictive personality. Whatever he loved, he was obsessed with, basketball, heroin, weight lifting...all done to excess. Going directly from weed to heroin I bet is rare, there's lots of stuff in between. But at least in his case it all started with weed.

Don't want to be a thread killer with that post. Actually I'm very interested in what most people who have not been affected by this crisis think. I smoked a ton of weed as a youngster, but that was like 40 years ago. Times have changed, I was never really "anit-drug" (meaning pot), now I'm pretty much anti everything. If Danny would have stuck with pot, that would have been no big deal in my book. He didn't stop there though, and his story is not uncommon.

The bar owners made money. Probably a lot if they knew what they are doing. The people who they made the money from are probably in really bad shape. Their families, if no one has give up on them, are paying for it for years to take care of them. If they have no family they're warehoused in some nursing home which is a nightmare.

If someone got mad and took it out on you, how's that my problem? How's that society's problem at large?

Libertarianism is a two way street. If you're going to sell drugs, don't ask for help when people get mad at you.

I'm not advocating people come after you, but I'm not going to do anything if they do. Probably would be best then not to get people mad at you.

You seem to have an unusual thought process when it comes to this topic.

The money that bar owners made was probably from people who are in really bad shape? It's like you're saying the most bar patrons are raging alcohol addicts who are the thorn in their families side. I've been going to bars along with all of my friends for 15 years....none of us are in any bad shape at all.

If someone got mad and took it out on you, how's that your problem or societies? Who is getting mad at me? How many people go after the local bartender?

You seem to be lumping in Bartenders and Crack Dealers in the same light.

Though the ease and freedom with which they're prescribed has as much to do with that as the nature of the drug itself. I have a more difficult time getting sinus medication than I do getting a script for oxy.

Part of this is insurance companies. It is easy to get a script for sinus medication but then insurance companies deny paying making MEDICAL DECISION that over the counter medications work just as well.

Well I can tell you from personal experience...my son...was a very good athlete in HS, started smoking pot...in college, tried oxy and that ilk, graduated to heroin, six years later he's dead...most of his buddies in recovery, pretty much took the same exact path. He never liked alcohol, but probably had an addictive personality. Whatever he loved, he was obsessed with, basketball, heroin, weight lifting...all done to excess. Going directly from weed to heroin I bet is rare, there's lots of stuff in between. But at least in his case it all started with weed.

Don't want to be a thread killer with that post. Actually I'm very interested in what most people who have not been affected by this crisis think. I smoked a ton of weed as a youngster, but that was like 40 years ago. Times have changed, I was never really "anit-drug" (meaning pot), now I'm pretty much anti everything. If Danny would have stuck with pot, that would have been no big deal in my book. He didn't stop there though, and his story is not uncommon.

I am very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine.

Do you think that if pot didn't exist, there wouldn't have been another substance/activity that could have been the catlyst?

In my opinion, it is that addictive personality that is the number 1 factor. If you have that, you will find something to have a problem with.

And you smoke less of it.

Maybe. I bet there are some studies out there on it, I'd be interested in reading that.

A joint may be more potent, and you might smoke less, but if you include any concentrates, patches or edibles into the mix, I bet you'd see overall THC rates higher than 70s averages.

I am very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine.

Do you think that if pot didn't exist, there wouldn't have been another substance/activity that could have been the catlyst?

In my opinion, it is that addictive personality that is the number 1 factor. If you have that, you will find something to have a problem with.

Thanks.

Yep...no doubt...but the availability of oxy/perc/vicodin was the problem. I'm pretty sure those weren't even from doc's, weren't a lot of those smuggled in? They were expensive and heroin was a lot cheaper!

If we could trade pot for opioids I'm all for that. FEWER opioids is a good thing, for they are the devil. Obviously, there are some legit uses, but Oxy should be banned, IMO. Just too addictive as some doctors will tell you. Might pot lead to stronger things? Yes, if your inclined that way. Better to start with pot than go straight to opioids though.

A former big time pot smoker I know pointed out that if you could get your pot legally in a controlled setting, it eliminates the drug dealer and keeps you farther away from anything else he might have to offer, thus reducing the likelihood things escalate. I had never considered that...

Edited by Augie

Thanks.

Yep...no doubt...but the availability of oxy/perc/vicodin was the problem. I'm pretty sure those weren't even from doc's, weren't a lot of those smuggled in? They were expensive and heroin was a lot cheaper!

With the crackdown on pill mills and the like, making it harder to get the scripts for prescription opioids, addicts have returned to heroin and heroin laced wth fentynyls. Much easier to get equals much cheaper.

If we legalize it, can't we tax it and regulate it? Put the cartels and drug dealers out of business?

I have a nephew who used to smoke a lot of pot. He told my sister it had gotten hard to find pot at one point, but heroin was everywhere. I thought he was blowing smoke (pun intended), but it turns out it's true in many places at times.

Funny how when the government takes control of "harmless" weed dealing...taxing, regulating, etc...that the dealers and cartels that were in the business of weed dealing just don't go out of business. They move on to some other nefarious criminal enterprise. ..usually the dealing of "harmful" drugs such as heroin, cocaine, and meth. They have to fill in the income gap. One of the many unintended consequences that weren't thought through in the rush for legalization.

With the crackdown on pill mills and the like, making it harder to get the scripts for prescription opioids, addicts have returned to heroin and heroin laced wth fentynyls. Much easier to get equals much cheaper.

If we legalize it, can't we tax it and regulate it? Put the cartels and drug dealers out of business?

And while we are talking about the !@#$ing fentanyls...did you know that some **** heads are making fake Xanax out of fentanyl? WTF? Anything to make money.

As an aside....one of my daughters is now on medical marijuana instead of antianxiety and antdepressant meds...I don't like it but I can be rest assured she's not going down the opioid path. Hell, she tried convincing me to get a card...I've thought about it.

Funny how when the government takes control of "harmless" weed dealing...taxing, regulating, etc...that the dealers and cartels that were in the business of weed dealing just don't go out of business. They move on to some other nefarious criminal enterprise. ..usually the dealing of "harmful" drugs such as heroin, cocaine, and meth. They have to fill in the income gap. One of the many unintended consequences that weren't thought through in the rush for legalization.

I think you're on to something... let's make apples illegal. That way cartels can sell apples and not harmful drugs

I have a nephew who used to smoke a lot of pot. He told my sister it had gotten hard to find pot at one point, but heroin was everywhere. I thought he was blowing smoke (pun intended), but it turns out it's true in many places at times.

I !@#$ing hate heroin.

Sorry, I had to say it.

Good point. Never thought of it that way.

I think you're on to something... let's make apples illegal. That way cartels can sell apples and not harmful drugs

?? I'm not the smartest guy in the room. Sorry. Didn't understand this post.

And while we are talking about the !@#$ing fentanyls...did you know that some **** heads are making fake Xanax out of fentanyl? WTF? Anything to make money.

As an aside....one of my daughters is now on medical marijuana instead of antianxiety and antdepressant meds...I don't like it but I can be rest assured she's not going down the opioid path. Hell, she tried convincing me to get a card...I've thought about it.

Then we can call you "Mellow Guy" :D