Dump the Entire Division System and ReTool

Fair enough, i see the NFL as the best for parity and opportunity to rise and fall. The SB reps from the NFC are balanced more than any other sport the last 20 seasons, the AFC a lot less though.

I'm hearing the NHL did it perfectly with 21 teams playing 2 home and away for a few seasons.

Soccer in Europe plays a home and away balanced schedule each season domestically.

That had to have been absolutely brutal for teams like LA and Vancouver. The league was almost 75% in the northeast during those days. Their travel costs must have dwarfed those of teams like Buffalo.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LA was a magical kingdom where one line scored 8 goals a game and the team went nowhere... :D

Nobody recalls seeing Marcel Dionne play at all, apparently he had quite the career.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1374

Wasn't fun cheering for the Jays when 1/3 of the season was against the Yankees and Red Sox (and Rays for a few of them.)

...somebody proposed the RUSTBELT Division...I think (probably wrong) it was Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh & possibly Cincy........at least the division rivals are much closer and home & home series are better reachable...Pats are a 7 hr drive as are the Jets and Miami is obvious air fare......could be a better rivalry...........

Just make it so we play our division once every year and when it comes to the playoffs the top 6 teams get in no matter the division. Simple

I like the idea of playing division teams alternate years.

Also like the idea of Saturday Superbowl and promote it as making it easier for international fans to watch.

Add rule you cannot play same team in back to back years in preseason. I am tired of seeing the Lions.

I completely agree. Why is the NFL so desperate to make "Bills-Jets" happen? 3 straight years on Thursday Night Football. Stop trying to make it happen. It's never going to happen.

Really dislike forcing the Thursday night Bills-Jets matchup and I am not watching the game even if both teams go into it undefeated.

In the interest of fairness, how about this? No divisions or conferences. Over the course of two years you would play every team. In four years you could play every team home and away. After 16 weeks seed the top 12 teams by record. Use overall points scored as tiebreaker if needed. This gives you the best chance to have the Super Bowl be between the 2 best teams. Also eliminates an 8-8 team making it while 10-6 team misses due to conference. Also solves the Brady problem, just need one of the top 12 records, period.

On a side note, get rid of meaningless ProBowl and just name an All Star Team.

Edited by Jigsaw2112

In the interest of fairness, how about this? No divisions or conferences. Over the course of two years you would play every team. In four years you could play every team home and away. After 16 weeks seed the top 12 teams by record. Use overall points scored as tiebreaker if needed. This gives you the best chance to have the Super Bowl be between the 2 best teams. Also eliminates an 8-8 team making it while 10-6 team misses due to conference. Also solves the Brady problem, just need one of the top 12 records, period.

On a side note, get rid of meaningless ProBowl and just name an All Star Team.

The pro-bowl point is something I have also been beating on. They should just do some sort of theatrics the Sunday before the Superbowl. Name All-Pro teams and also give end of season awards. They can have stars there, music performances, maybe a stunt like having a couple speedsters race one another or have QBs engage in some sort of accuracy/trick throw contest.... I don't know, lots of possibilities. If I were commissioner, that would be something I would dive into.

I also support a second bye week, and take away a preseason game. Coordinate the bye week(s) with the Thursday games and make it equitable.

I support realignment of some sort, as I said. It is just nearly 20 years old and stale. I get they have 'perfect' scheduling symmetry, but that shouldnt be the #1 factor. If not realignment, I think there should be thought put in to change the playoff seeding. A 12-4 wild card shouldnt have to go on the road to face a team who limped to an 8-8 division title.

I love the tradition of the AFC East, but if you wanted to take advantage of region rivalries you could move Buffalo to the AFC North where they would play Pittsburgh and Cleveland twice a year and all three cities are within 200 miles of each other +/-.

I'd be on board with a complete schedule make over. Think of all the 7-9 years we've had due to 2 losses at the expense of NE*'s dominance of the sport. Other AFC teams have made the playoffs through these years with nearly the same record but didn't have to face 'them' twice to get there. 'Their' phenomenal run has to be scaring the League that another one could form as well, relegating that Division to No Hope status. Rivalries -such as they are in today's game- could still be done, just every other year is a home game.

I love the tradition of the AFC East, but if you wanted to take advantage of region rivalries you could move Buffalo to the AFC North where they would play Pittsburgh and Cleveland twice a year and all three cities are within 200 miles of each other +/-.

Great avatar there, big fan since 1988 of his.

It's lost a bit of the importance with the Jets and Fish rivalries, the Pats has picked up a bit in its place.

for all the crying about having to play the Pats 2x a year....its only 2 games out of 16. What's the excuse for crapping the bed in the other 14 games? 2 of which are gimme wins (Jets)

Didn't they (Jets) beat us twice last year?

Edited by rockpile

Didn't they beat us twice last year?

After 17 years it's okay to muddle up in the mind about the exactness of the Jets/Fish/Pats real outcomes.

The Fish and Jets wins and losses are heavily downplayed on posters minds...

As it has been said, NE is two regular season games. Maybe they would keep us out of the AFC Championship game, but two losses should not keep us out of the playoffs.

Like every other dynasty, NE "dynasty" will not last forever.

Back to the topic, there are some interesting ideas, but I cannot say I have a good answer.

Buffalo has to take the responsibility for becoming a winner by itself, not by putting the team somewhere that they do not have to play good teams. :w00t: