30 Years Ago Today............

Chef Jim

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister was the rock fan, I could've cared less.

I will say that this was aptly fitted for the movie "Lean on Me".

I was 26 and living in Hollywood and a huge rock fan. I used to drive by the Troubadour on Santa Monica every day and would often see the band Guns N' Roses on the marquee. Thought it was a cool name but working nights in restaurants I never was able to see them. I remember exactly where I was driving when I heard Welcome to the Jungle for the first time. The song blew me away but what REALLY blew me away was when the DJ, after the song, said it was from the debut album by Guns N' Roses. !@#$!! I'll never get to see them in a small club now. :wallbash:

Edited by Chef Jim

In my top 5 of all time. Great album.

Why will there never be another Guns and Roses or Metallica ?

Why is rock so dead?

Because the last few generations are a bunch of emo, whining, pu$$y hipsters...hopefully there will be a resurgence of good rock music sometime. Edited by RaoulDuke79

Rocket Queen is one of favorite songs of all time

This.

In my top 5 of all time. Great album.

Because the last few generations are a bunch of emo, whining, pu$$y hipsters...hopefully there will be a resurgence of good rock music sometime.

And this.

Why will there never be another Guns and Roses or Metallica ?

Why is rock so dead?

As best as I can tell, teens of any generation prefer not to associate with the music of their parents, so from a popularity standpoint, no there will never be another G and R or Metallica.

At the same time rock isn't dead. There are still rock bands putting out great music and touring, they just appeal less to the younger generation.

Magpie Salute might be worth checking out if you're into bands like the Stones, Led Zep and (mostly) the Black Crowes.

Epic album.

Musically, there was a lot going on in the 80s. These guys managed to, in one album, incorporate hair band, keyboards, rock ballads and - thanks to Slash and his Les Paul - classic rock/blues guitar. So many rock bands back then sounded alike. Axl Rose's vocals and Slash's guitar playing (no shredding, no overuse of the whammy bar) set them apart from most of the others.

These guys, and this album, were rock and roll in the 80s.

Epic album.

Musically, there was a lot going on in the 80s. These guys managed to, in one album, incorporate hair band, keyboards, rock ballads and - thanks to Slash and his Les Paul - classic rock/blues guitar. So many rock bands back then sounded alike. Axl Rose's vocals and Slash's guitar playing (no shredding, no overuse of the whammy bar) set them apart from most of the others.

These guys, and this album, were rock and roll in the 80s.

Appetite came out in 1987 and took some time to get traction, so by no means did GNR define rock and roll in the 80s.

From my perspective, that decade was dominated by MTV "bands/songs" and metal/hair bands.

With that said, GNR kicked a## and paved the way for the grunge bands in the early 90's.

Appetite came out in 1987 and took some time to get traction, so by no means did GNR define rock and roll in the 80s.

From my perspective, that decade was dominated by MTV "bands/songs" and metal/hair bands.

With that said, GNR kicked a## and paved the way for the grunge bands in the early 90's.

I"m sorry, but I couldn't disagree with what you've written, more.

I didn't say they defined 80s rock and roll. I'm saying that they bent it over and !@#$ed it in the arse.

Make no mistake - GnR were a hair band. They just took the music to another level and they were real badasses and not pretty boys like many of the other posers. That's why they're still around and in demand.

And the grunge movement was far, far, far removed from they typical L.A. hair band era, even though it was basically happening at the same time.

I didn't say they defined 80s rock and roll. I'm saying that they bent it over and !@#$ed it in the arse.

Make no mistake - GnR were a hair band. They just took the music to another level and they were real badasses and not pretty boys like many of the other posers. That's why they're still around and in demand.

And the grunge movement was far, far, far removed from they typical L.A. hair band era, even though it was basically happening at the same time.

I hear ya, but when I think of hair bands I'm thinking of bands like Poison, Ratt,, Extreme and Motley (once they hit mainstream). Musically it was closer to pop than metal to my ears.

Axl teased his hair to the moon on Appetite because he had to, but musically they had nothng to do with the hair bands.

Just my opinion.

I hear ya, but when I think of hair bands I'm thinking of bands like Poison, Ratt,, Extreme and Motley (once they hit mainstream). Musically it was closer to pop than metal to my ears.

Axl teased his hair to the moon on Appetite because he had to, but musically they had nothng to do with the hair bands.

Just my opinion.

I think we are in agreement more than you think.

They had a hair band look in the Mid-80's but their early music was more punk than hair. Actually their music was the antithesis of hair. "I see you standing there. You think you're so cool. Why don't you just !@#$ off!!" Duff had a lot of influence on the music. Most of their punk stuff was because of him.

Too many drugs???

Wrong! Not enough. :D