Buffalonians vs New Yorkers

Another Fan

NYCers have no filter and generally less patience.

Buffalo people tend to mind their own business.

I think that says it all. I've never minded NY'ers because at least you know where you stand with them. I'd rather have someone who doesn't like me have the guts to tell it to my face. I agree that Western NY'ers and upstate NY'ers in general mind their own business. People are also less likely to be super outgoing. They are also less likely to insult you to your face. I've actually found it easier to make friends with NY'ers as they are more outgoing. Western NY'ers are nicer as a whole on the surface. They are also just as likely as anyone to talk trash behind your back.

People are people everywhere. There are good people and not so good people. It's the public persona that people have which differs from place to place. Some of us interact with certain public persona types better than others. Personally I don't mind the in your face NY personality. For every person who is a loud mouthed jerk there is another person who uses their loud mouth to be kind. Western NY'ers are more reserved (unless they are drinking), and you are less likely to encounter rudeness. By the same token the percentage of jerks in NYC are probably the same as Buffalo. The jerks of NYC are just more likely to verbalize their thoughts.

The NYC "bluntness" doesn't bother me, but the "holier than thou" and "our way is the best way" mood that many of them seem to display does bother me.

I have met wonderful people all over the country. I find those who live in areas with a "work to live" mindset to be my favorites.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Knowing Jasper somewhat well, I find it pretty funny that he's your avatar lol

The NYC "bluntness" doesn't bother me, but the "holier than thou" and "our way is the best way" mood that many of them seem to display does bother me.

I have met wonderful people all over the country. I find those who live in areas with a "work to live" mindset to be my favorites.

I've noticed they have a tendancy to want to talk to you from about 3" away. All the years growing up in WNY I never recall anyone ever doing that.

NOT so fast!

You never met my second generation Polish father. Born and raised in Cheektowaga. When I say born, not BFLo, not even @ a hospital... But in his home off of Cayuga Creek Road.

My father's personal space is about 1". It would freak out everybody. It still does. Don't even get started about how he could strike up a convo with anybody... Especially, a hot cashier. Then the personal space thing... LoL. He would use the old fashioned term: "making love" for what we now use as: "flirting." That would make things even worse.

Just a farm boy... With close old-world roots.

The idea that NYC doesn't have "working class" people is one of the greatest misnomers that Buffalonians have about New Yorkers. I think that many Buffalonians see all of New York as Manhattan. With the shift away from industry the blue collar aspect of Buffalo is actually vastly overrated these days.

The idea that NYC doesn't have "working class" people is one of the greatest misnomers that Buffalonians have about New Yorkers. I think that many Buffalonians see all of New York as Manhattan. With the shift away from industry the blue collar aspect of Buffalo is actually vastly overrated these days.

Nobody lives in Manhattan, it's too expensive :D

Buffalo is no longer a place of manual laborers in overalls. I don't really know a city that still is, too many overseas and L.A. options to do it cheaper.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Exactly!!!

The RiverWorks... Nice... Acropolis-esque, but sad. Yeah you have General Mills right there, but is the mill worker really going to RiverWorks hanging out w/the Hipsters or are they hanging around their pool in Hamburg.

I am NOT being negative... But service industry job bubbles are not a backbone economy... It's ancillary. Especially in a place like BFLo.

One of my favorite players, the hype on BBMB was insane, Vince Wilfork esque with the pass rushing skills of Reggie White :thumbsup:

He was the guy who proved to me that it takes more than strength to play in the NFL. I bought into the hype.

Buffalonians can find NYC on a map.

New Yorkers can't find Buffalo on a map.

(Not making that up. The Times did a survey when I was in college; the majority of Manhattanites put Buffalo well north of Albany, near Plattsburgh. Some put it in Canada, near Montreal.)

Absolutely true. Most people (who don't know) assume Buffalo is "outside the city," nearer to NYC than in the Western part of the state.

Absolutely true. Most people (who don't know) assume Buffalo is "outside the city," nearer to NYC than in the Western part of the state.

A co-worker's wife was from England (London I think). Her family came to The States to visit, flew into Chicago. First thing on thier list was they wanted to drive and see Disney World.

My point? Almost the whole world is geographically and spacially phu#!ed in the head.

And we want people to pull into a parking space? ;-) :-)

Was having a conversation with someone here in Colorado on this subject when he asked where I was from. Explained to him: No no, Buffalo is on the other side of the state from NYC - miles of fields and farmlands in between, etc.

After pondering this for a moment, what was his reply to me? "Boy that must be a hell of a commute!" :wallbash: