Article on why 2017 passing game can make giant leap forward

I explained in an earlier post why I mentioned him. I think that it is valid. EJ has nothing to do with Tyrod's play. The point was more the perception from those that supported EJ has distorted their reality on TT. If he is pulled down it makes you "less wrong" about EJ. That's human nature. No one ever said anything about blaming EJ for Tyrod's play though as you claimed.

Sorry, but I call BS. Both here and at the BBMB "Wanting EJ to succeed" was distorted into not wanting TT to succeed.

You've now altered the topic and diverted us from the point at hand.

You should apologize profusely to us all for your mistake

:flirt:

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but I call BS. Both here and at the BBMB "Wanting EJ to succeed" was distorted into not wanting TT to succeed.

You've now altered the topic and diverted us from the point at hand.

You should apologize profusely to us all for your mistake

:flirt:

You can call BS all you want but it's not false. I don't know your posting history but I'm fairly certain you were "an EJ guy." Whether you admit it or not it doesn't matter. It's like watching a kid steal a candy bar and then they say "no I didn't." Just because you say you didn't it doesn't make it true. I can tell you that holds true for those here too. It's human nature to want to be right. I banged the drum for Da'Rick to get the spot instead of Hogan. To this day, I think Hogan is a worse player than he probably is. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Your input is greatly appreciated, but the topic of this thread has nothing to do with former Bills QBs; it's about the near future/how the passing game will be this coming season.

Personally, I think that the pretty stats of the past will not be duplicated this year. A baseball team can have a player hit 55 HR in a season; if they were all solo shots with the team either up or down by 5+ runs, it becomes a meaningless - albeit very pretty - statistic.

I want to see more effective 2-minute drills. I want to see a pass play over the middle of the field executed on a crucial 3rd and long. I want to feel confident in the offense when they take the field down by 4 late in the game.

I think the new coaching staff has no choice but to call big boy plays in big boy situations. Those situations will define TT and determine his future, IMO.

And I'd like to see our big boy STARTING WR's on the field during these crucial 3rd downs. It's been proven Taylor is a better QB with his starters in the game. As far as feeling confident in the offense, I'm with you but I'd like to think McD won't let his defense wilt under pressure either....a la the Miami game at home. That was disgraceful but not surprising considering we had Rex and Rob running the show. The Pegula's HAD to be drunk, high or both when they hired that guy. Still hard to believe.

the mere mention of EJ is ridiculous.

Why mention him at all? Tyrod's struggles are here and now. To call upon the ghost of EJ is deflecting and a straw man argument.

15 more days!!! It can't get here soon enough

Why did I get into the EJ fracas?

Gugny quote : "Not to mention, how EJ looked far better than Tyrod in both practices and preseason games against 1st/2nd string defenses"

That level of delusion was hard to un-see & difficult to pass by.............

Getting back to the original premise of the thread, I'm not so sure the passing game can take a giant leap forward but I do expect it to be better for a few simple reasons. Assuming Shady, Sammy and the rest of the WR corps can stay decently healthy, the play calling and the scheme should put Taylor in a much better position to succeed. From what I understand, it will put more pressure on defending the QB run while giving Taylor less areas to scan the field. Add in the fact Taylor has more experience, I think he'll be given the green light from the coaching staff to be more concerned with making plays through the air versus concentrating solely on protecting the football. Turnovers are part of the game and taking risks are necessary at times in order to get bigger rewards.

In Taylor's first two years, I think he was told, under no uncertain terms, to protect the football, period. Our defense will handle the opponent's offense....we just need you to manage the offense and not turn the ball over. Obviously that approach didn't pan out. I think Dennison is going to challenge Taylor to actually be more aggressive (at least I'm hoping this is the case).

I'm a big Taylor fan; however, I do not think he can elevate himself to the upper echelon of QB's in the league (notice I didn't say elite) at this point by simply managing the offense and not turning the ball over. This is the year he needs to step it up and make plays with his arm when necessary. Again, I'm keeping my fingers crossed Sammy can stay healthy because without him, it'll be tough.

I want to feel confident in the offense when they take the field down by 4 late in the game.

Which NFL offenses specifically would you say you feel confident with taking the field down by 4 late in the game? What percentage of games do you think we should win in that situation?

Edited by HappyDays

You can call BS all you want but it's not false. I don't know your posting history but I'm fairly certain you were "an EJ guy." Whether you admit it or not it doesn't matter. It's like watching a kid steal a candy bar and then they say "no I didn't." Just because you say you didn't it doesn't make it true. I can tell you that holds true for those here too. It's human nature to want to be right. I banged the drum for Da'Rick to get the spot instead of Hogan. To this day, I think Hogan is a worse player than he probably is.

I am (hard to accept by some) a TT guy because I'm a Bills Fan, I was an EJ guy because I'm a Bills Fan, I was a FITZ guy because I'm a Bills Fan, I was an Edwards guy because I'm a Bills Fan, I was a Bledsoe guy because I'm a Bills Fan, I was a Flutie guy because I'm a Bills Fan on and on and on.

FTR

I was never a Robbery Johnson guy

FTR part 2

I only mention EJ when others mention him.

Which NFL offenses specifically would you say you feel confident with taking the field down by 4 late in the game? What percentage of games do you think we should win in that situation?

Duh

Tom Brady 100%

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Why did I get into the EJ fracas?

Gugny quote : "Not to mention, how EJ looked far better than Tyrod in both practices and preseason games against 1st/2nd string defenses"

That level of delusion was hard to un-see & difficult to pass by.............

frozen-elsa-let-it-go-time-to-let-it-go.

I am (hard to accept by some) a TT guy because I'm a Bills Fan, I was an EJ guy because I'm a Bills Fan, I was a FITZ guy because I'm a Bills Fan, I was an Edwards guy because I'm a Bills Fan, I was a Bledsoe guy because I'm a Bills Fan, I was a Flutie guy because I'm a Bills Fan on and on and on.

FTR

I was never a Robbery Johnson guy

FTR - I only mention EJ when others mention him.

I didn't like Rob Johnson either and do support all Bills QBs. My point was that you wanted EJ to win the QB competition. I can tell by your posts. That's the point I'm making. It's human nature to want to be right. The people that wanted EJ to win the competition are harder on TT than anyone else. That scorned feeling absolutely plays a role. The better he is the more wrong they are. If you say "he sucks" you are closer to being right than saying "he's decent." At this point we don't need to count on feelings or emotions to judge him. There is a ton of evidence supporting him as an okay starter and none supporting him as terrible.

I was going to post almost the exact same thing and I agree with your subsequent points too. Tyrod will either step up in his problem areas and we will have our QB or he'll be out - and a WCO will absolutely showcase those areas. Pushing him to improve is absolutely the right move because this needs to be the season to find out if he can do it or not. Not to anoint Peterman or anything, but he's definitely a fit for the WCO. It's probably the only kind of NFL offense he has a chance to be successful in. It shows you the kind of QB the Bills will likely focus on acquiring if Tyrod isn't successful.

I also have questions about Tyrod's "fit" in this offense. I think a lot of people have presumed he is a great fit because of the way Dennison moves the pocket and rolls his QB out... but there is a lot in this offense that is about timing and footwork that flows back through Kubiak to Shanahan adopting much of Bill Walsh's 49ers offense when he was Seifert's OC and they are areas where it is fair to question whether Tyrod has demonstrated the necessary level of capability on tape. If he can master those facets he will be well on his way to being a very successful Quarterback.

To this day, I think Hogan is a worse player than he probably is.

You do. :D

I didn't like Rob Johnson either and do support all Bills QBs. My point was that you wanted EJ to win the QB competition. I can tell by your posts. That's the point I'm making. It's human nature to want to be right. The people that wanted EJ to win the competition are harder on TT than anyone else. That scorned feeling absolutely plays a role. The better he is the more wrong they are. If you say "he sucks" you are closer to being right than saying "he's decent." At this point we don't need to count on feelings or emotions to judge him. There is a ton of evidence supporting him as an okay starter and none supporting him as terrible.

Careful now --- you may be making a leap to something that I never said.

Sure I wanted EJ to win the QB competition in 2013

I guess you missed the part where I said he had a great year.

Outside of that, Cam has been pretty good but nothing like that 2015 season in which he played out of his mind.

Tyrod had a comparable year to Cam last year and years before.

Sorry. The margin between Cam and Tyrod isn't as big as you think.

You can't just throw out his MVP season!! It's a part of the equation, and a big part. He still has averaged 31 TDs a game for his career. He's 51-40-1 with garbage weapons. He's pumped out 12 game winning drives. Cam is a franchise QB without question. Tyrod hasn't proven to be that yet. He has a chance this year to take a step. Tyrod isn't in the Cam Newton tier though, he's in with Dalton, Tannehill, Alex Smith and Joe Flacco.

You can't just throw out his MVP season!! It's a part of the equation, and a big part. He still has averaged 31 TDs a game for his career. He's 51-40-1 with garbage weapons. He's pumped out 12 game winning drives. Cam is a franchise QB without question. Tyrod hasn't proven to be that yet. He has a chance this year to take a step. Tyrod isn't in the Cam Newton tier though, he's in with Dalton, Tannehill, Alex Smith and Joe Flacco.

Agreed. Though as you know I think Flacco still clings on to the bottom of the tier above.

Careful now --- you may be making a leap to something that I never said.

Sure I wanted EJ to win the QB competition in 2013

There are a lot of BB message board people that can confirm what "team you joined." Are you saying that you DID NOT want EJ to win the job going into 2015? I supported Tyrod in that competition but mostly because I thought Cassel and EJ were terrible (I was right). I would have supported any unknown in that same situation. Edited by Kirby Jackson

There are a lot of BB message board people that can confirm what "team you joined." Are you saying that you DID NOT want EJ to win the job going into 2015? I supported Tyrod in that competition but mostly because I thought Cassel and EJ were terrible (I was right). I would have supported any unknown in that same situation.

You are making assumptions and some of them very bad. Please don't.

I want the best guy to win. I also want the best guy to actually be the best guy and not by default.

Re Cassel - I am no longer a fan or bringing in retreads after the numerous failed attempts with the former starters that we have cycled through.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

You are making assumptions and some of them very bad. Please don't.

I want the best guy to win. I also want the best guy to actually be the best guy and not by default.

Re Cassel - I am no longer a fan or bringing in retreads after the numerous failed attempts with the former starters that we have cycled through.

I am making an assumption but my assumption hasn't been confirmed or denied. Who did you support in that battle?

You said Tyrod is WAY worse.

He's not. Newton is better, but Tyrod isn't WAY worse.

Maybe this is a better way to say it, if you gave 32 GMs the choice 32 would take Cam. There is no debate at that point.

Says the guy who thinks Tyrod Taylor is comparable to Cam Newton. Homer.

Hahaha ^^This^^ :lol:

And I'd like to see our big boy STARTING WR's on the field during these crucial 3rd downs. It's been proven Taylor is a better QB with his starters in the game. As far as feeling confident in the offense, I'm with you but I'd like to think McD won't let his defense wilt under pressure either....a la the Miami game at home. That was disgraceful but not surprising considering we had Rex and Rob running the show. The Pegula's HAD to be drunk, high or both when they hired that guy. Still hard to believe.

Doesn't that pretty much go for all QBs.

I thought I did confirm it. The BEST MAN for the job.

Why is that so hard for you to grasp?

You didn't confirm it. Everyone picked their guy leading up to the season. My assumption is that you picked EJ. You can keep saying nothing and hope that I stop asking or someone else will say. You do realize though, if my assumption is correct it further confirms my initial point?