Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!

Certainly better value than the $20M/year they are paying David Wright to spend the last five years of his career on the DL.

Talk about overrated. I wanted them to get rid of this china doll more than 5 years ago.

I don't understand the math here. Why would wilpon think this made any sense, even if he may have liked the immediate cash relief?

I used to love Bobby Bo as a kid. Followed those mets teams pretty religiously all the way through 2001. I think signing Mo Vaughn may have killed every ounce of Mets fandom I had.

I don't understand the math here. Why would wilpon think this made any sense, even if he may have liked the immediate cash relief?

I used to love Bobby Bo as a kid. Followed those mets teams pretty religiously all the way through 2001. I think signing Mo Vaughn may have killed every ounce of Mets fandom I had.

From what I understand in 2000 the Wilpons were really close with Madoff. At this time they thought this money would be nothing since Madoff would've made them much richer.

From what I understand in 2000 the Wilpons were really close with Madoff. At this time they thought this money would be nothing since Madoff would've made them much richer.

Even then, seems weird. Let's say that madoff could have made them a 20% return on that same money, why not spread it out over just a few years. Turning it into like a 25-year annuity seems really unnecessary especially since the buy out price was only $5M.

Even then, seems weird. Let's say that madoff could have made them a 20% return on that same money, why not spread it out over just a few years. Turning it into like a 25-year annuity seems really unnecessary especially since the buy out price was only $5M.

It never made sense to me, either.

I think they were assuming Bonilla would take the lump sum and be done with it. Regardless, this whole thing has always seemed off to me.

Lol, they are the Mets. I think part of it too may have been to save money right then to target Mike Hampton. He was the big free agent at the time.

Lol, they are the Mets. I think part of it too may have been to save money right then to target Mike Hampton. He was the big free agent at the time.

Talk about a friggin weirdo ...

• 2 weeks later...

That's solid work by the agent there and good on Bobby for agreeing to it. All players would be wise to seek out actual quality representation who looks out for their long term interests like that. Too many agents seek to maximize immediate cash payout because that's how THEY get paid and how THEY attract a bigger client base. Deals like this, while much less sexy, are incredibly good business.

Madoff had the power to make people stop thinking.