Oh United, you almost got away with it...

Just Jack

but people don't take kindly to a company almost killing an infant....

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/23/united-airlines-infant-overheats-dia/

France and other passengers begged for an ambulance. There appeared to be disagreement between the flight crew and the ground crew over whether stairs should be pushed to the aircraft or the airplane should return to the gate, she said. France said she sobbed as she sat by the open door and waited as Owen drifted in and out consciousness. She estimates they waited 30 minutes before the airplane returned to the gate. “They seemed completely unprepared for a medical emergency,” she said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd_ND4o3sv8

What a mess it would be if everybody could leave... How the heck do you keep good order.

Can't they have a/c... Climate control. What about ice packs, etc...

What a bad situation all the way around.

They have AC.

That is the noise you hear when you're in your seat.

They have AC.

That is the noise you hear when you're in your seat.

They have AC to cool the air pressurized at altitude by the bleed air from the engines.

I wouldn't necessarily guarantee that's as effective on the ground as it is at 30000 feet.

They have AC to cool the air pressurized at altitude by the bleed air from the engines.

I wouldn't necessarily guarantee that's as effective on the ground as it is at 30000 feet.

I'm not going to argue with you my friend, but after a 32 year career flying these things, and serving as a check captain certifying others all over the world, I think I have a pretty good grasp of how these things work.

They have an environmental control system to regulate the cabin air temperature regardless of input.

Clearly, it requires cooling in the summer at sea level and high ambient temps, and heating at the -50C or so you deal with at cruise.

And by the way, all air provided to the cabin, no matter what altitude, is from pressurized bleed air from an engine whether in the air on on the ground.

Edited by sherpa

I'm not going to argue with you my friend, but after a 32 year career flying these things, and serving as a check captain certifying others all over the world, I think I have a pretty good grasp of how these things work.

They have an environmental control system to regulate the cabin air temperature regardless of input.

Clearly, it requires cooling in the summer at sea level and high ambient temps, and heating at the -50C or so you deal with at cruise.

Well, there ya go. You would know better than me.

I know the basics of how the pressurization system works. I did not know, though, how well the climate system would work on the ground - I wouldn't want to automatically assume, for example, that the pre-cooler is as efficient on the ground with air from a high-pressure stage at idle as it would be at altitude.

And by the way, all air provided to the cabin, no matter what altitude, is from pressurized bleed air from an engine whether in the air on on the ground.

Not in a 787 it's not. All-electric, bleedless aircraft. I'd be surprised if some older aircraft didn't use bleed air to run a compressor state too, instead of using it directly (because of people freaking out about contamination.)

It isn't all that complicated.

Regardless of the source, whether its bleed air from an engine after start or prior to start, bleed air from the aux power unit or external air source , its all basically the same, including the 787 which electrically powers similar compressors.

Clearly, its a more simple problem in the air, but modern airliners should be able to handle any but the most extreme conditions on the ground.

This story, like almost all of these is grossly lacking in detail, and entirely one sided, as if it was hand written by a plaintiff's attorney.

Either way, airliners can handle above normal heat, though Boeings do it better than Euro-stuff.

It isn't all that complicated.

Regardless of the source, whether its bleed air from an engine after start or prior to start, bleed air from the aux power unit or external air source , its all basically the same, including the 787 which electrically powers similar compressors.

Clearly, its a more simple problem in the air, but modern airliners should be able to handle any but the most extreme conditions on the ground.

This story, like almost all of these is grossly lacking in detail, and entirely one sided, as if it was hand written by a plaintiff's attorney.

Either way, airliners can handle above normal heat, though Boeings do it better than Euro-stuff.

Yes, modern jets CAN cool the cabin in any ambient ground condition, BUT It requires FUEL ($$$) to do so.

My thoughts as well. I'll be interested to see if more details emerge. Certainly could be that the airline really messed up but something about it seems a bit off. The mom is already playing the emotional distress card pretty hard.

My thoughts as well. I'll be interested to see if more details emerge. Certainly could be that the airline really messed up but something about it seems a bit off. The mom is already playing the emotional distress card pretty hard.

One of the things that is omitted is that it really wasn't United, same as the dragged Doctor story.

It was "Trans States," another of these little commuter operations that United contracts with.

They have a serious problem with their brand because of these folks.

Per Flightaware, this was an E-145. They look like a lawn dart. They do not have adequate heat/AC. If it's winter, you will be cold. In the summer, you will be hot. So, not the plane that was depicted in the article.

These planes are almost 20 yrs old, and are at the end of their service life. They are disposable, no way to overhaul them. And not/never owned by United.

United is taking one bad PR rap after another covering for their low cost "partner" (Contract) carriers. They think this type of operation saves them money BUT time and again they continue to make them look bad.