Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

On 11/4/2017 at 5:11 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

He's day to day so should be. They play on Tuesday and then Friday I think. Be surprised if he misses more than a game or two. 

On 11/4/2017 at 6:32 PM, BillsFan4 said:

I hope so. 

The reason I worry is that they originally said Bogosian was day to day, too (and that was just over a month ago now). 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-zach-bogosian-day-day/

Our blue line line has taken a beating so far this year. 

This is what I was worried about @Kelly the Dog

Housley needs to learn to keep his mouth shut on these injuries until they know more. This has happened multiple times now. Bogosian, Nylander (who were both said to be day to day and have yet to play a game this year), now Ristolainen... I just hope Risto doesn't turn into another Bogosian/Nylander situation. 

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/09/sabres-ristolainen-downgraded-to-week-to-week-with-injury/

'The Sabres are going to be without Rasmus Ristolainen for longer than originally planned.

"It's more of a week-to-week situation right now," coach Phil Housley said Thursday.'

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

On November 8, 2017 at 10:11 AM, row_33 said:

Aren't they already toast by the way the playoff structure works?

(unless they have a 10 game win streak and play .600 the rest of the way...)

Yes; already the odds to make the playoffs are a bit lower than 10%, but if you watch the team and follow hockey, you can quickly see this is nowhere close to a playoff team regardless of the odds.

We are a bottom 3 finisher this year.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'll be shocked if Kane isn't moved for the best possible return at the trade deadline.

58 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Housley needs to learn to keep his mouth shut on these injuries until they know more. This has happened multiple times now. Bogosian, Nylander (who were both said to be day to day and have yet to play a game this year), now Ristolainen... I just hope Risto doesn't turn into another Bogosian/Nylander situation. 

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/09/sabres-ristolainen-downgraded-to-week-to-week-with-injury/

'The Sabres are going to be without Rasmus Ristolainen for longer than originally planned.

"It's more of a week-to-week situation right now," coach Phil Housley said Thursday.'

No problem; our D is flooded with talent and depth.  We won't miss Risto one little bit.

Now please excuse me while I return to smoking my crack pipe.

On November 8, 2017 at 10:18 AM, thebug said:

That's a big win against the Caps! 

Not really.  Caught a tired team playing 3rd game in 4 nights; expect us to return to disappointing form on Friday.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Damn. You nailed it. Right about Housley.

Game Preview: 11/10/17 vs. FLA

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 76)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Evan Rodrigues (hand, Oct. 5; injured reserve) – 15 games
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Oct.5; injured reserve) – 15 games
Jacob Josefson (lower body, Oct. 17; injured reserve) – 9 games
Josh Gorges (lower body, Oct. 20; injured reserve) – 8 games
Nathan Beaulieu (upper body, Oct. 21; injured reserve) – 7 games
Justin Bailey (lower body, Nov. 2; injured reserve) – 3 games
Rasmus Ristolainen (upper body, Nov. 4) – 2 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
11/7:
 Recalled D Zach Redmond from Rochester (AHL); Placed F Justin Bailey on IR
11/9: Assigned D Zach Redmond to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, Nov. 11:
 Buffalo at Montreal, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 14: Buffalo at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 17: Buffalo at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 18: Carolina at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Monday, Nov. 20: Columbus at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
PANTHERS at SABRES

• This is the first of four meetings between the Sabres and Panthers this season.
  • Last meeting: Florida defeated Buffalo 3-0 in Florida on April 8
  • Next meeting: Thursday, Feb. 1 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 3-6-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Panthers; 3-6-1 at home.
  • This is the 93rd game all-time between Buffalo and Florida; Buffalo has a 48-36-8 series record.
  • The Sabres are 27-16-4 at home against the Panthers all-time.

Projected Lineup
9 Evander Kane - 15 Jack Eichel - 29 Jason Pominville
67 Benoit Pouliot - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 21 Kyle Okposo
13 Nicholas Baptiste - 23 Sam Reinhart - 25 Seth Griffith
28 Zemgus Girgensons - 22 Johan Larsson - 17 Jordan Nolan

6 Marco Scandella - 41 Justin Falk
19 Jake McCabe - 27 Taylor Fedun
82 Nathan Beaulieu - 93 Victor Antipin 

40 Robin Lehner
31 Chad Johnson

Panthers Projected Lineup
Connor Brickley -- Vincent Trocheck -- Radim Vrbata

Mike Matheson -- Mark Pysyk

Scratched: Alex PetrovicAntti Niemi
Injured: Jared McCann (lower body)
Sabres Projected Lineup
Benoit Pouliot -- Ryan O'Reilly -- Kyle Okposo

Nathan Beaulieu -- Victor Antipin

Scratched: Matt Moulson
Injured: Matt Tennyson (ankle), Rasmus Ristolainen (upper body), Justin Bailey (lower body), Josh Gorges (lower body), Jacob Josefson (lower body), Zach Bogosian (lower body), Evan Rodrigues (hand)

11-10: JASON BOTTERILL ON WGR (15:17)

#Sabres general manager Jason Botterill joins Schopp and the Bulldog next from @716FoodandSport! Tune in:

Botterill- What I really like about Phil is that there's a lot of positive influence around him.

Botterill- With our group there's the will to want to do something out there, but when you try to do it by yourself, you won't have success at all.

Botterill- We absolutely love having Mr. Guhle in our organization. We think he's an excellent prospect for us, and we're very happy about how he is starting the season off.

Botterill- We're ecstatic about how he is progressing. There's always discussions on player development and there's a lot of discussions in our own organization. Bottom line is we believe there is an element to Guhle staying down there, learn roles, gain confidence.

Botterill- We've been sporadic, we have to improve our consistency around the board. The league continues to get faster and we have to increase our speed and increase our pace of play to get up to the league average.

Botterill- There's two ways you can get faster. From physically skating, or how you move the puck. As we get more comfortable with our system here and more comfortable with linemates it's a scenario where we can play faster in that regard.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Well, we are officially in last place in the East, and 2nd to last place in the entire NHL. The only team with a worse record is the 2 win Coyotes. 

I dont understand why the Sabres keep making the same mistakes over and over again every game, and it's been happening year after year. 

This isn't a coaching issue IMO, it's a player issue. 

Is is it just all the young players, and lack of good veterans? No veteran leadership?

Lack of overall talent? Is there bad apples in the room? Is it the losing culture that developed during the tank? A combination of all these things? 

We keep adding new players (11 new guys this year, 7 last year etc) yet we still have many of the same problems year after year. 

Why is it such a struggle to just stick to a game plan for 60 minutes? Or make a clean tape to tape pass? Or transition the puck? Their transition game is TERRIBLE much of the time. They have a hell of a time getting the puck out of their end and when they do they just turn the puck right back over in the neutral zone and set the other team up to go right back on the attack again. 

When they do actually get time in the offensive zone they have no idea how to score. They just cycle the puck along the boards and behind the net, then turn it over (with bad passes or bad shots). Nobody goes to the dirty areas, or gets in a position to take the higher percentage shots/scoring chances. 

The frustrating part is that Housley can usually immediately tell you exactly what the Sabres were doing wrong. He's obviously telling the team the same things during the game, and practicing these things all week. The team even tells you what they are doing wrong. They just can't seem to put it all together on the ice for an entire game, and when they finally do (put it all together) for a game they collapse the following game. Consistency is a huge issue with this team. They'll play a good period and then fall apart. 

Botterill and Housley sure have their work cut out for them...

When Darcy Regier said we'd be in for some suffering, he wasn't kidding. Full tear down rebuilds are painful, and unfortunately they're usually painfully long (as we are experiencing now).