It hurts.

Recognizing deficiencies and making corrections is not dysfunction. People might question the timing of such decisions, but realizing changes need to be made and having the guts to make them is a good thing.

The fundamental problem, is that the supposed deficiencies, become all-encompassing, when there were clearly parts that worked, and worked well, over the years. Namely the Pro-Personnel side of things, yet that goes out with the bathwater.

I cannot for the life of me, think that getting rid of functioning parts, alongside removing bits that don't, is the right approach. Trouble is, you see this sort of crap all the time in the NFL, especially with new coaching staffs, and it perpetually sets franchises back, imho. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Want to get rid of Whaley, fine, but why get rid of the one thing he set up, that has worked, and worked well? Imho, it's totally unnecessary.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fundamental problem, is that the supposed deficiencies, become all-encompassing, when there were clearly parts that worked, and worked well, over the years. Namely the Pro-Personnel side of things, yet that goes out with the bathwater.

I cannot for the life of me, think that getting rid of functioning parts, alongside removing bits that don't, is the right approach. Trouble is, you see this sort of crap all the time in the NFL, especially with new coaching staffs, and it perpetually sets franchises back, imho. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Want to get rid of Whaley, fine, but why get rid of the one thing he set up, that has worked, and worked well? Imho, it's totally unnecessary.

Nothing is functioning well when you fail to get into the most parody-driven major sport's playoffs for 17 years.

No time for nuance.

Or parity if you prefer, or pathetic or bathetic.

Feels great, finally got rid of a mediocre GM and know we have coach who knows how to self evaluate and learn from his mistakes to improve, which can only make every one else better.

We have this "pipe dream" of a coach until September - THEN we will find out WHO the real coach McDermott is.

Until then - DREAM ON

A great many of us fans have watched the revolving door of coaches for decades. Oh yes, we get hopeful, but then you know the rest of the story.

It is one thing to give a HC a couple of years and if they don't work out - find another coach.

NOW (it seems) that the new HC includes the whole enchilada! If McCoach does not work out - you have to FLUSH the WHOLE baby.

Talk about all of your eggs in one basket.

Edited by cd1

What GM is going to want to come here? Don't most GM's want to hire their coach or guy?

This is a complete Circus act that equates to saying "So Billsy". What mess. At least with our hockey team we purged both at the same time.

Edited by Real McCoy

It hurts to see the state of affairs of this franchise. Time after time to witness the influx of this "organization". The only time that I have ever seen success with this franchise was the Bill Polian Era and that was with a GM that we backed into. Right, wrong or indifferent with this latest purge the fact remains that we're nowheres near we any of us want to be with the Bills. This post isn't meant to be negative, just a non bi-polar assessment. I feel for so many of the people who have year after year, decade after decade pinned their hopes to these teams of the Bills. I think the term non stability is what best describes this franchise the past couple of decades. So once again here I go, like so many of us, I'll pray and dream of a successful season but this time it will be with much more tempered optimism. I will say that McDermott strikes me as someone who has a plan and is very structured and that gives me hope and I find as a refreshing change from past seasons.

Really, the only time was when Polian was GM? Butler did a pretty good job as well. And before the merger, the Bills were perennial winners in the AFL. Whaley was a holdover from the Buddy Nix regime. He needed to go. The owners are cleaning house in the scouting department and with the GM. For me it is a step in the right direction. We'll see how it pans out, but I am excited for the future, not caught up in the past. Always hopeful that we can right the ship and become more consistent contenders. Also, it's only entertainment, not life or death. People's lives will be the same whether the Bills win or lose. Those of us that have been here since the very beginning will continue to hope for the best, but in perspective.

Edited by xsoldier54

Any team that changes GMs, HCs, QBs constantly is not going to win.

And at the same time, you can't just 'stick it out'. Frankly we're **** out of luck until we hit a homerun on a QB in the draft some year, and then HOPEFULLY we build around them competently (unlike say, the Colts).

We have this "pipe dream" of a coach until September - THEN we will find out WHO the real coach McDermott is.

Until then - DREAM ON

A great many of us fans have watched the revolving door of coaches for decades. Oh yes, we get hopeful, but then you know the rest of the story.

It is one thing to give a HC a couple of years and if they don't work out - find another coach.

NOW (it seems) that the new HC includes the whole enchilada! If McCoach does not work out - you have to FLUSH the WHOLE baby.

Talk about all of your eggs in one basket.

at least they know where the eggs are now

And at the same time, you can't just 'stick it out'. Frankly we're **** out of luck until we hit a homerun on a QB in the draft some year, and then HOPEFULLY we build around them competently (unlike say, the Colts).

I think having New ownership is a full reset of our conditioning please.

IT has only happened once.

who are you people that insist on keeping on for a decade with the same old incompetent and unproducing execs?

You didn't read my post, did you?

the post started with a complaint about lack of continuity

i've read 10,000 of these.... and cut it off

DON"T START WITH A COMPLAINT ABOUT LACK OF CONTINUITY if you want anyone to read further than the first 6 words, Sir...

Blue Jays aren't making life much fun either...

Welcome to my world with all 3 of those teams :wallbash::cry::censored:

The issue is that they are not hiring the right people. Rex should have never even been granted a courteousy interview, firing him could come soon enough. There seemed to have been issues with Whaley dating back years ago that most just dismissed onto the coaches or others. For the Sabres, Tim Murray was a cocky prick first timer who was probably handed the job because no one else wanted to get into the mess the Sabres were getting into by tanking to get McDavid, and just like Rex, Bylsma shouldn't have been considered a candidate.

These have all been well deserved firings of people who could not get the jobs done and just made the teams worse then before. We just have to hope they finally find people who are good and can get things back on track. If any of those previous guys had done things to have the teams showing progress and moving in the right direction, they would still be here even if they hadn't made the playoffs. Problem was they all had the teams looking like they were moving backwards