RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

5th round or later QBs who performed at or above Taylor's level for 30 or more sustained games.

Brady (who I mentioned), Cassel, Bulger and Fitz are the guys who fall under that category. Romo is a UDFA, which obviously makes him a gem, but if we're including the UDFA QBs in this then it's significantly more of a lottery.

Did you seriously include Siemian and Anderson?

I said back to 2000 simply so we could get some reasonable numbers for comparison. I only went back to 2010 (also because of a lack of time) and 33 QBs were drafted between rounds 5-7. I think it'd be incredibly conservative to say that at least 100 QBs were drafted from 2000-2016 between rounds 5-7. Out of those, you had 5 guys total who turned into legit NFL starters on various levels after 30 starts.

Conservatively, at best 5% of those guys pan out into something since 2000 in terms of being an NFL starter.

If you want to include Romo and bring in all the UDFAs, that number is a lot lower.

As I said, that doesn't mean you don't draft the guys and hope, but any of you banking on this are just being blind homers.

you're taking this way too seriously. Seriously

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, from what I've heard and seen from him, I think and hope he can be our long term backup.

People are talking about him as though he'll usurp Taylor... some are saying before the end of the year... a select few are saying Peterman will be the starter week 1. With those people, I've set forth an open bet that, barring an injury to Taylor, he'll be our starter week 1. I'm giving 3 to 1 odds. Surprisingly, I had a taker already who put down $100.

Open for others, too.

But people who have this position are just unrealistic and living in lala land. I'm not saying that to personally attack them. I'm saying this because it's just true. If Peterman is the week 1 starter and Taylor is still healthy and on the roster, it would be shocking, regardless of your feelings about Taylor as a QB.

Myself personally, the Buffalo Bills brought Yates in because he knows the O and would provide a decent backup, then we have C Jones that could play backup. So that leads me to believe someone within the organization thinks Peterman might be more then the future backup in my humble opinion. This is a position that can be filled through FA and get more experience.

Note: Peterman has an advantage over Taylor between the ears scoring near the top of his draft class in the all important wonderlic (kidding, kinda)

He tries really hard to make Tyrod look as good as possible.

Dude, it's about how incredibly rare it is to find a QB who's even fairly consistently "starter level" in the NFL, not about anyone great.

This isn't about propping Taylor up. It's saying that if he doesn't improve, Peterman is almost certainly NOT our long term answer. And it seems clear that's not McDermott's plan either considering the acquisition of a 2nd 1st round pick for next year so we have some ammunition to move up in the draft for our guy if need be.

We should all be happy and we'll be lucky if Peterman becomes a good long term backup.

Dude, it's about how incredibly rare it is to find a QB who's even fairly consistently "starter level" in the NFL, not about anyone great.

This isn't about propping Taylor up. It's saying that if he doesn't improve, Peterman is almost certainly NOT our long term answer. And it seems clear that's not McDermott's plan either considering the acquisition of a 2nd 1st round pick for next year so we have some ammunition to move up in the draft for our guy if need be.

We should all be happy and we'll be lucky if Peterman becomes a good long term backup.

I'm not happy or feeling lucky in any way finding a career backup and I seriously doubt this is Buffalo's intentions.

Is it a long shot, sure it is , put lets not pretend any of us know Petermans future in the NFL.

Edited by Figster

I'm not happy or feeling lucky in any way finding a career backup and I seriously doubt this is Buffalo's intentions.

So you think Buffalo's intentions are for him to be the starter and savior of the franchise?

I'm sure Buffalo has intentions for every single draft pick to be an All Pro.

That's not what they (or any sane person) is expecting, though.

So you think Buffalo's intentions are for him to be the starter and savior of the franchise?

Do you think Buffalo is going to waste draft picks searching for a backup QB when the Bills don't have a long term starter?

This might be a backup plan, I'll give it that...

Edited by Figster

The world didn't stop spinning, but you sure do keep spinning here.

Just simply try the exercise. Identify all the QBs who sustained 30 NFL starts at or above Taylor's level since 2000 drafted in the 5th round or later.

Sure, you could always strike the lottery if you play it. But what are your chances? Play it, but don't invest all your hopes (or money) in it, because you're highly unlikely to win anything meaningful.

Same applies with Peterman... and any 5th round or later QB.

You support TT yet deny the possibility NP might bee good.

The hypocrisy 🙄 In black and white

you're taking this way too seriously. Seriously

What he said

41 pages on a 5th round pick and I'm trying hard?

Okay...

The conversation is about NP and What he could do for the Bills. Here you and others are 💩 on the parade.

The intent for any draft is to strike gold.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

You're too busy focusing on the minority who think this kid is already better or is destined to start which is probably a waste of time and energy.

Exactly right. Wilson and Prescott were not drafted to be the starter. Neither was Rogers. It fell into place for them and their teams. Stranger things have happened.

Exactly right. Wilson and Prescott were not drafted to be the starter. Neither was Rogers. It fell into place for them and their teams. Stranger things have happened.

Not that I agree with what your saying above ( because I don't) you draft guys that you think can play in the NFL. You pick up older, experienced QB's to play backup or you draft a guy that might become future starter. Groom him right and it increases his value, something the patriots make a living doing. Do you think Elway called Kelly to ask if his nephew would make a good backup?

Buffalo is in no shape to be drafting luxury backups, are you kidding me? doubling down on another later round possibility is what we're doing in my humble opinion Riverboat Richie.

Name suggests you know a little bit about gambling...

Edited by Figster

No one sees the irony in pointing out the number of pages in the thread, in jest. While in doing so, adding to what would would make up additional pages?

No one is forcing you to post in the thread.

Peterman has drawn some positive reviews and was not over drafted. We have been starving for a QB, nothing wrong with people pulling for him pan out.

Edited by BillsFan17

Not that I agree with what your saying above ( because I don't) you draft guys that you think can play in the NFL. You pick up older, experienced QB's to play backup or you draft a guy that might become future starter. Groom him right and it increases his value, something the patriots make a living doing. Do you think Elway called Kelly to ask if his nephew would make a good backup?

Buffalo is in no shape to be drafting luxury backups, are you kidding me? doubling down on another later round possibility is what we're doing in my humble opinion Riverboat Richie.

Name suggests you know a little bit about gambling...

Which guy starts this year? In Chicago or KC? You can't wish on a star and pick one. There is a thought process, believe it or not. Not one of the teams that picked a QB has to start him. Neither do the Bills. They have starters last time I checked. They took one where he should have been taken. Good move on there part. They been there and done that and it didn't work. If your happy with them picking a guy higher than they should then I don't know what to tell you.

Which guy starts this year? In Chicago or KC? You can't wish on a star and pick one. There is a thought process, believe it or not. Not one of the teams that picked a QB has to start him. Neither do the Bills. They have starters last time I checked. They took one where he should have been taken. Good move on there part. They been there and done that and it didn't work. If your happy with them picking a guy higher than they should then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not arguing Peterman was drafted to start this season, or that the QB's mentioned were drafted to start imediately.

I'm saying they were drafted because teams thought they could play at the next level.

I'm not a big fan of starting rookies...

He tries really hard to make Tyrod look as good as possible.

Personally I dont even see why it is even needed......if people would stop saying that a "good" qb "sucks" there would far less defending of him.

Tyrod Taylor is a good qb with a unique skill set....he is not a franchise guy or a top 5 guy.....he is good enough to win with if the other facets of the team are strong.

We should continue to draft qbs (and we have been doing that...2 qbs in the last 3 years) but it doesnt mean you have to poo poo all over a good qb while we do that