Lattimore vs White

Is another 2018 1st rounder and a 2017 3rd rounder worth the difference between these two? I would say most definitely yes. Lattimore had better physical tools but White seems like a sound CB. He reminds me of Gilmore but much cheaper than he would be. We just need to pick up a WR tomorrow and our team is coming together.

Lattimore Draft Profile:

Grade: 6.52

Analysis Strengths

Uber-athlete. Parks under receiver's chin at line of scrimmage. Uses disruptive inside hand to slow the release and can punch out of his pedal. Patient from his press, utilizing well-timed opening to match the receiver. Plays with explosive hip flip that jump-starts him into top speed when forced to turn and run. Has balance and footwork to remain in phase with target throughout the route. Has electric, flat-footed closing burst. Can shadow a nine route from release to completion. Has twitch to drive hard toward the throw from his lateral shuffle. Plays with plus instincts. Targeted 35 times this season and credited with 14 passes defensed, including four interceptions. Has burst and instincts to make plays from any coverage asked of him. Forceful open-field tackler. Works through blockers to get to both wide receiver screens and running plays. Wrap-up hitter who sees what he hits.

Weaknesses

Only one year of starting experience. Wasn't tested by high-end receiving talent very often. Will be much tougher to consistently slow NFL receivers with jam and might have to learn to play some off coverage. Showed slight transition hitch when matched up against in inside release. Will read receiver's eyes to assess ball-timing down the field rather than getting his head around early. Film shows infrequent issues recovering against speed merchants. Draft Projection Round 1 Sources Tell Us "I've studied the top cornerbacks coming out and he's the best I've seen. He's so athletic that he can just post up under the receiver's chin and shadow him all over the field. And he's tough, too. He'll be one of the top cornerbacks pretty quickly." -- Pro personnel director for AFC team NFL Comparison Vontae Davis

Bottom Line

Average-sized, one-year starter with explosive athleticism and a loaded tool box. He has the feet, hips and agility to be a lockdown cornerback and the ball skills to make teams pay for looking in his direction. His lack of experience could show up early, but he has the confidence and competitive nature that should help him overcome those issues. He has the ability to become a Pro Bowl cornerback early in his career.

White Draft Profile:

Draft Grade: 6.0

Overview

Playing defensive back at LSU is typically a stepping stone to the pros, and White's talents should help continue that trend in the 2017 NFL Draft. He was a top five cornerback prospect nationally from Shreveport when entering the 2013 season, and stepped into the starting lineup in week three of his freshman year despite the available talent on the Tigers' depth chart. He finished his rookie year as a SEC All-Freshman team member, recording 55 tackles, 2.5 for loss, two interceptions and a team-high seven pass breakups. White kept that starting job with 33 tackles, three for loss, two picks, and six pass breakups in 2015. He was a first-team Walter Camp All-American and All-SEC selection last year (34 tackles, two INT, team-high 14 PBU -- ranked eighth in the FBS).

Analysis Strengths

Experienced island corner with slot reps over last two seasons. Quick twitch with exceptional footwork. Uses controlled hop-steps from press for extended face-up against receivers. Patient in press and rarely commits prematurely. Uses reactive quickness for quick recovery when beaten from slot. Pattern reader will jump path of route and attack throw. Plus click-and-close burst to ball. Impressive 15 passes defensed on 42 targets in 2016. Stop-start change of direction allows him to shadow in tight quarters. Sticky coverage on crossers and intermediate routes. Rose to challenge in coverage of Amari Cooper in 2014 and Calvin Ridley in 2016. Improved willingness to attack line of scrimmage and do his part against the run. Awarded coveted No. 18 jersey at LSU, symbolizing success and selfless attitude on and off the field. Three-year punt returner with a return touchdown in each season. Was also used as a gunner.

Weaknesses

Finesse cornerback with relatively slender frame. Physicality and play strength a concern from slot. Big-bodied slot targets will post him up in space and drive him off the line in run game. Tackles when necessary, but doesn't seek out contact. Less technique-oriented and more grabby from slot. Finished career with just six interceptions despite extensive playing time. Early anchor from off coverage caused struggles opening hips when receivers would stem and go. Recovery-quick but not recovery-fast. Texas Tech speedster Jakeem Grant gave him all kinds of vertical work in 2015 Texas Bowl. Draft Projection Rounds 1-2 Sources Tell Us "He's kind of soft, but he can cover. He's not really what our team looks for because we play so much sub packages and he would have to be a better tackler to be on the field that much. He's a fit for what some teams do though. Like I said, he can cover." -- Regional scout with NFC team NFL Comparison Tracy Porter

Bottom Line

Full-time starter for better part of four years and one of the premier mirror-and-match cornerbacks in the game. Has the feet, athleticism and instincts for prolonged coverage responsibilities and his twitch will always have him near the throw. Best suited for all forms of man coverage. Should compete as special teams performer. Lacks run-support physicality to be an every-down corner, but he's talented enough to challenge for slot duties right away.

Edited by Awwufelloff

I loved the first round. Bills typically kill me draft time. They didnt like any of the QBs enough.

So got great value and a good football player.

Good post bobby.....

How would we trade up to #1 for Darnold without picking up an extra 1st along the way? :thumbsup:

(Possible) jokes aside, I'm happy with the trade and the result. I think White will be a great player for us for the length of his rookie deal until he signs with the pats.

I will worry about that in 5 years

How would we trade up to #1 for Darnold without picking up an extra 1st along the way? :thumbsup:

(Possible) jokes aside, I'm happy with the trade and the result. I think White will be a great player for us for the length of his rookie deal until he signs with the pats.

If he's a truly great player for us he'll be retained at 2 no contract time. If he's just good, he'll be replaced in '21 draft

Exactly what I was thinking. No joke.

heres some measurable's to look at :

Lattimore: 6' - 193 lbs. - 31 1/4" arms - 8 7/8" hands - 4.36 40 - 38.5" vert - 132" jump

White: 5' 11" - 192 lbs. - 32 1/8" arms - 9 1/8" hands - 4.47 40 - 32" vert - 119" jump

Lattimore's hamstring issues worried me. this seems like a solid pick, and there a a few other subtle benefits, the cap for one.

Just checked last year's salaries, and there is a $6 million difference between 10 and 27 over the contract life. I don't think this is a big deal, but the Bills do need to get back to a position of salary cap strength, and this is a subtle step that helps.

Edited by TPS