Bills doing homework on 2017 QBs

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet to be decided, His stock rose late and was not expect to be picked that high for a while prior to the draft.

i was thinking (if your theory is correct) it would be Trubisky because he's the only one rumored to go #1 and he only started for one year.

Drafting for need is a fool's errand

Hopefully the front office is smart enough to avoid it

Except more often than not when you pick a QB early you are drafting for need, and it happens every year and will happen again this year. How often is that QB really the BPA? Or are QBs really entirely in a class by themselves when it comes to drafting. In general terms of course drafting an inferior talent because of need is almost always a losing strategy.

Except more often than not when you pick a QB early you are drafting for need, and it happens every year and will happen again this year. How often is that QB really the BPA? Or are QBs really entirely in a class by themselves when it comes to drafting. In general terms of course drafting an inferior talent because of need is almost always a losing strategy.

If you think a running back will be a top 3 player in the league and the QB top ten you take the QB every time.

NFL teams adjust for positional value.

@ESPN_NFLNation

Sean McDermott: Bills' meetings with QBs could be 'smokescreen'

https://t.co/sGXNotjdRQ

It's funny. Until McDermott said this, I was leaning toward it being more of a smoke screen. But now that he said "it could just be a smoke screen", it makes me think that maybe they are more interested in taking a QB at 10 then I thought they were... lol.

But I also didn't hear McDermott's radio interview in full context either. I am just reading a single quote that that ESPN article chose to focus on.

Edit, maybe he's also just trying to get people to think its not a smoke screen, so they're more willing to trade up with the Bills, or ahead of the Bills so a good player maybe falls into Buffalo's lap at #10.

Ah, draft season... lol

Edited by BillsFan4

Do teams really put in a lot of work just to set up smoke screens? Maybe they do. In a class like this year's maybe the smokescreen is to create confusion concerning which QB the Bills are really interested in so teams wont trade up ahead of them. Still I can't get rid of this feeling that if MT is there at 10 he is on his way to Buffalo. The team can now cut bait with Tyrod next year.

Do teams really put in a lot of work just to set up smoke screens? Maybe they do. In a class like this year's maybe the smokescreen is to create confusion concerning which QB the Bills are really interested in so teams wont trade up ahead of them. Still I can't get rid of this feeling that if MT is there at 10 he is on his way to Buffalo. The team can now cut bait with Tyrod next year.

The Bills are the least tricky team in the league. For better or worse.

my 2 cents...

we have "our guy" in mind, but want the Browns, Cardinals, Texans to think that "our guy" is "their guy". in a perfect situation those teams trade up to 10 and grab "their guy" so that we can grab "our guy" later along with an extra pick.

my guess...

"their guy" = Trubisky

"our guy" = Mahomes

extra pick = WR

i think they do intentionally put smokescreens out there via the media but they don't fly the owner and FO around to meet with and work out QBs for that purpose. There is no doubt in my mind the Bills are interested in drafting one of the QBs at the right value spot.

i think they do intentionally put smokescreens out there via the media but they don't fly the owner and FO around to meet with and work out QBs for that purpose. There is no doubt in my mind the Bills are interested in drafting one of the QBs at the right value spot.

I agree. The fact that Pegs was on his horse checking out these prospects spoke volumes to me. So who do you think it is and what is the value spot? My gut tells me its MT or maybe Mahomes and the spot has to be 10.

I agree. The fact that Pegs was on his horse checking out these prospects spoke volumes to me. So who do you think it is and what is the value spot? My gut tells me its MT or maybe Mahomes and the spot has to be 10.

i have no idea which one, but I think it will be after pick 10.

Not sure I agree. To me the top prospects are the ones I mentioned and there is no way IMO that they are around in rd 2. The Bills already are short of picks this year relative to the postions they need to address so I dont see them trading up. If you are really serious about a QB to me you just go and get him.

Or do you think they may be setting up to trade back and still nab the guy they want. Risky?

I am almost starting to think maybe Deshaun Watson, because nothing has come out about the Bills privately working him out and going to dinner with him.

That comment came out about Whaley being in love with him, then after that we see all the stuff about the Bills scouting every other top QB in this class...

lol. No, I have no idea who their top QB is or where they value him. Personally, I hope they don't value any of these QBs in the top 10.

Also remember, the Bills were rumored to be heavily scouting the QB class last year too (with rumors of them maybe even trading to #2) and Pegula went to dinner with Bryce Petty the year of his draft (and I believe he even flew to Texas to do so).

I mean, I definitely think the Bills are interested in finding their franchise QB in the draft. But I have no idea if they will draft one this year.

They've been putting much more effort into scouting QBs since Pegula took over the team.

Not sure I agree. To me the top prospects are the ones I mentioned and there is no way IMO that they are around in rd 2. The Bills already are short of picks this year relative to the postions they need to address so I dont see them trading up. If you are really serious about a QB to me you just go and get him.

Or do you think they may be setting up to trade back and still nab the guy they want. Risky?

i just don't think any are worth pick 10 and I'm not convinced they are all in on just one of them to where they panic and take him early. They may be content to see who falls to them in round 2 or a round one trade down.

do you remember all the Bills talk around Hackenberg before that draft? Did the bills really have an interest in him? I don't think they did. but it moved the Jets to take him earlier than thought. the kid is still on the bench.

I am almost starting to think maybe Deshaun Watson, because nothing has come out about the Bills privately working him out and going to dinner with him.

That comment came out about Whaley being in love with him, then after that we see all the stuff about the Bills scouting every other top QB in this class...

lol. No, I have no idea who their top QB is or where they value him. Personally, I hope they don't value any of these QBs in the top 10.

Also remember, the Bills were rumored to be heavily scouting the QB class last year too (with rumors of them maybe even trading to #2) and Pegula went to dinner with Bryce Petty the year of his draft (and I believe he even flew to Texas to do so).

I mean, I definitely think the Bills are interested in finding their franchise QB in the draft. But I have no idea if they will draft one this year.

They've been putting much more effort into scouting QBs since Pegula took over the team.

Good points & thanks for the reminder. At least they seem to now be giving the position the attention it deserves.

do you remember all the Bills talk around Hackenberg before that draft? Did the bills really have an interest in him? I don't think they did. but it moved the Jets to take him earlier than thought. the kid is still on the bench.

that is what they try to do.. by showing so much interest in the QBs it feels like they could take one at 10 or 44 or in between. which could make other teams panic and take a QB earlier than they want to and push better players down for the Bills.

Still think they take one at some point.