Lexi Thompson...Unbelieveable

plenzmd1

Over 100s of rounds of golf, sometimes with people who would cheat on every shot they could, I have never seen a person "miss" by that much on remarking their ball bu accident. Maybe this isn't the first time for her or they have developed a culture of allowing this, but any time $$$ is involved then you are watched like a hawk.

I don't like how they brought the hammer down, which is a totally different matter.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over 100s of rounds of golf, sometimes with people who would cheat on every shot they could, I have never seen a person "miss" by that much on remarking their ball bu accident. Maybe this isn't the first time for her or they have developed a culture of allowing this, but any time $$$ is involved then you are watched like a hawk.

I don't like how they brought the hammer down, which is a totally different matter.

It was an awkward re-placement, no doubt, but I find it hard to see an appreciable advantage in such a short putt.

My main point is the hammer was excessive and the scrutiny selective.

Good thing your feelings and emotions about fairness and advantage don't rule pro sports. Just try that garbage against someone that doesn't like you with a $1 on the game.

Also i've read about 12,000 posts by now how steroids and other injectables didn't have any big advantage in hitting home runs in baseball and was never pursuaded.

Good thing your feelings and emotions about fairness and advantage don't rule pro sports. Just try that garbage against someone that doesn't like you with a $1 on the game. Also i've read about 12,000 posts by now how steroids and other injectables didn't have any big advantage in hitting home runs in baseball and was never pursuaded.

Well, I didn't think I was making a statement designed to engender such an emotive rejoinder. Prudential judgement is keyed to the specific, particular case, so nothing I said has anything to do with baseball and steroids. There is no self-evident logical necessity in affirming something excessive regarding Thompson's punishment that would require one to dismiss the effect of steroids on performance. But I surmise we have differing criteria for what constitutes thinking and the nature of appeal to emotion.

Exactly. I am a bit more callous on the hammer part. She knows the penalty for sloppy, careless play. Stakes are high at this level. We aren't talking a blade of grass.

She can't be that clueless... But Millennials in the workforce have been known to amaze me with the lack of attention to detail. Heck, all generations FWIW. This placement was her sole job. @ this level of the game, "Ah close enough for The LPGA" attitude is mind boggling. Good thing that inch wasn't in a profession that would get people hurt.

That one email, if it was actually true somebody sent an email, resonates through the game. That's a good thing... Keeping standards high! What's the big deal, it's everybody's job in society to help keep standards high and people honest.

Again... Sorry guys. Maybe I am just bent on standards and attention to detail. Be happy with the "get it in, schit it" world we seem to be digressing at times into. I guess every generation has said this. Oh well.

I am not looking for perfection either. But don't be careless either, then claim being clueless.

Do I sound like an old guy with OCD?

I heard Steve Sands on Tony Kornheiser the other day say something that I've always wondered. He said "I work for NBC and the Golf Channel - and I have no idea what the phone number of email is, how do these people always get through?!?"

I heard Steve Sands on Tony Kornheiser the other day say something that I've always wondered. He said "I work for NBC and the Golf Channel - and I have no idea what the phone number of email is, how do these people always get through?!?"

Maybe they contacted the course itself, and not the PGA or NBC, and they passed the info along.

Either way, it was easy to get a phone number using the Google...

http://www.lpga.com/contact-us

Ladies Professional Golf Association

100 International Golf Drive

Daytona Beach, Florida 32124-1092

Phone: (386) 274-6200

Fax: (386) 274-1099

That's a good thing... Keeping standards high! What's the big deal, it's everybody's job in society to help keep standards high and people honest.

Are you familiar with the definition of the word standard? How can LPGA demand standards from players if their enforcement policies are not based on any standard whatsoever?

You are lost in the weeds on this. I don't know Lexi Whatsherface from Ryu Winner, from any other woman golfer. They should all follow the rules. I think that is the point you are trying to make. The rub here is that the rules are not being applied equally. Equal application is a core principle of any rule. I don't care if the rule is a 78 stroke penalty, a lifetime ban and handcuffing her to the ball washer closest to the alligator pond as a punishment for sneezing on a Tuesday. That's all fine. The problem is that the penalty needs to apply to everyone. The LPGA is applying it to the whim of random viewers watching the 5% of shots which are televised. THAT is dumb and there is no way to argue that it is fair at all.

Are you familiar with the definition of the word standard? How can LPGA demand standards from players if their enforcement policies are not based on any standard whatsoever?

You are lost in the weeds on this. I don't know Lexi Whatsherface from Ryu Winner, from any other woman golfer. They should all follow the rules. I think that is the point you are trying to make. The rub here is that the rules are not being applied equally. Equal application is a core principle of any rule. I don't care if the rule is a 78 stroke penalty, a lifetime ban and handcuffing her to the ball washer closest to the alligator pond as a punishment for sneezing on a Tuesday. That's all fine. The problem is that the penalty needs to apply to everyone. The LPGA is applying it to the whim of random viewers watching the 5% of shots which are televised. THAT is dumb and there is no way to argue that it is fair at all.

That's what I meant by "the scrutiny is selective." I don't think he cares.

They caught her fudging, being sloppy, or whatever. Not going to swoop down then and there until they take time and review it. Unfortunately, the score card was filed and nailed her on that too. 2 for the placement, two for erroneous filing.

Golf and taxes suck. Life isn't fair.

Now all the hoi polloi are crying foul. Move on. It's over Johhny.

But not everyone is subject to video review by millions.

Random audits suck.

You don't get it at all.

Are the ladies allowed to place the ball anywhere they happen to feel like?

Exactly.

These are "country club" games... It's a sport of kings. They aren't gonna get all squirrely right there on the putting green... Save that for the commoners.

This is "family business"... Going to keep under wraps the drama, God forbid Earl Weaver storms the green. Argue right there, break decorum of game.

What is so hard to understand, she was caught cheating, that don't look classy.

Phuck... I think I am turning elitist. I did marry into "lace curtain" Irish though. ;-)

Are row and I the only ones that belong @ a country club? LoL... I don't think so... It may look like this:

:-)

Maybe they contacted the course itself, and not the PGA or NBC, and they passed the info along.

Either way, it was easy to get a phone number using the Google...

http://www.lpga.com/contact-us

Ladies Professional Golf Association

100 International Golf Drive

Daytona Beach, Florida 32124-1092

Phone: (386) 274-6200

Fax: (386) 274-1099

Good luck trying to explain it to the switchboard operator.

Maybe nobody emailed? Did anybody ever think of that?

Throw the hoi polloi weekend duffer that is stuffing their face on the couch, sleeping through another tourney on TV, under the bus.

If it was anybody, it was somebody right there in the gallery that was glued to her slick/sloppy/clueless/careless (you pick) fudging of a mark.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

What are you talking about? Nobody emailed?

The LPGA said somebody seen the fudging of the mark and emailed. Maybe nobody emailed and they seen it and didn't want to create a scene right then and there. Or they reviewed it and caught it. They create a perfect diversion, takes heat off of them. Golf is supposed to be "self-policing."

Dollars to doughnuts, IMO, if somebody did snitch on Lexi, it most certainly wasn't a person watching on TV that emailed in advising the LPGA to check it out. If it was anybody, it was somebody in the gallery. Heck, it could have been a player that was on the green, could have been a caddy, etc... But we are led to believe it was somebody watching on TV. How the heck does a TV viewer catch that?

Come on people, think this through, you just believe everything people feed you?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The LPGA said somebody seen the fudging of the mark and emailed. Maybe nobody emailed and they seen it and didn't want to create a scene right then and there. Or they reviewed it and caught it. They create a perfect diversion, takes heat off of them. Golf is supposed to be "self-policing."

Dollars to doughnuts, IMO, if somebody did snitch on Lexi, it most certainly wasn't a person watching on TV that emailed in advising the LPGA to check it out. If it was anybody, it was somebody in the gallery. Heck, it could have been a player that was on the green, could have been a caddy, etc... But we are led to believe it was somebody watching on TV. How the heck does a TV viewer catch that?

Come on people, think this through, you just believe everything people feed you?

Takes the heat off them?!? What?!? They couldn't have put more heat on themselves if they tried. Everybody hated the fact that they let a person email in about this. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: