Atlanta Rush Hour Just Got Worse

Cynical

For those that live or commute through the Buckhead/NE Atlanta area

A portion of the I-85 over pass collapsed.

http://www.cbs46.com/story/35036795/major-fire-breaks-out-on-i-85-in-atlanta

This will be a freaking nightmare! My son lives very close to that area (Lindbergh Station) but is away on business. I almost hope he's out of town next week/month too, as getting into midtown will be a pain in the arse. What was already rough just became a thousand times more difficult. For what it's worth, when a fire destroyed an overpass near us on I75 in Florida, they went gangbusters and fixed it faster than we thought was possible.

No it didn't. Gasoline can't melt steel beams.

I have no idea what was burning under there, or why it was stored under a critical freeway in the center of a major city, but if I'm a bad guy....... hmmmm. Very interesting and surprised it hasn't happened before.

I have no idea what was burning under there, or why it was stored under a critical freeway in the center of a major city, but if I'm a bad guy....... hmmmm. Very interesting and surprised it hasn't happened before.

Not sure if this is accurate.

"Atlantas Fox 5 reported large spools of plastic utility conduits were being stored beneath the overpass, and structural engineers had been worried metal supports beneath the structure would melt."

"Atlantas Fox 5 reported large spools of plastic utility conduits were being stored beneath the overpass, and structural engineers had been worried metal supports beneath the structure would melt."

We live in Atlanta and could get nothing but the coverage, but the facts are too spotty for me to even guess. I just hope they learn from it, like a few years ago when some snowflakes appeared and panic ensued!

Wife just told me they reported the southbound overpass suffered structural damage. (northbound collapsed).

It will remained closed.

Ouch. Glad I don't have to travel into the perimeter area anymore.

guess the will look into storing stuff under bridges. How did it start?

guess the will look into storing stuff under bridges. How did it start?

Still a mystery according to the news. However, nation wide this needs to be looked into. Imagine if this became a blueprint....

Looking at today's traffic map on Google, Atlanta's "traffic catastrophe" looks like an average day on the DC beltway.

Probably much worse if you add a few snowflakes!

Just some homeless people.

Really? Ugh. No shortage of that here..... :(