Moneyball

stuvian

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is OBD committed to a Moneyball approach like the Browns? I'm still trying to figure out what the Browns are going to do with Osweiler.

If there is a plan at One Bills Drive they are keeping it secret. Are we rebuilding? Going for a chance at the playoffs? No one knows. It all looks rather random. I assume the draft will be used like it has the last few years, to plug holes on the roster and to provide depth.

At this point It doesnt look like the Browns plan to play osweiler. They never introduced him, you can't even customize an osweiler jersey on their site if you wanted to. Hue says he's part of the team "until he isnt" or something. They are likely trying to trade him to get some other return on their 16 mill than swapping a 4th for a 2nd (I mean, it is moneyball after all). I don't know why they don't just play him given their lack of other options... but no one really knows the real plan.

If there is a plan at One Bills Drive they are keeping it secret. Are we rebuilding? Going for a chance at the playoffs? No one knows. It all looks rather random. I assume the draft will be used like it has the last few years, to plug holes on the roster and to provide depth.

It all looks random because of constant coaching change. The front office caters to what the coach wants....Players in support of the current coach's desired scheme.

I don't see any evidence that the Bills are committed to a Moneyball approach like the Browns - trying to figure out why you raised the question (honestly, not in a snarky way)

The Browns have bought in big to Moneyball and brought in some of the best minds in the business. The ownership looks committed to making the necessary investments for genuine organizational change. I read a few years back that OBD created a position just for stats based research but there was no word on whether the franchise as a whole was committed to this as a guiding ideology. I guess my question is we aren't committing to this,what game plan are we committing to?

The Browns have bought in big to Moneyball and brought in some of the best minds in the business. The ownership looks committed to making the necessary investments for genuine organizational change. I read a few years back that OBD created a position just for stats based research but there was no word on whether the franchise as a whole was committed to this as a guiding ideology. I guess my question is we aren't committing to this,what game plan are we committing to?

Going to be funny to watch them fail. You don't want to be the Browns... You don't want to follow the Browns.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Our off season moves the last two seasons since the high profile 2015 FA suggest our new approach to FA is to find depth back up players on other teams that might become starters or might blossom in their 4th to 7th years in the league, we very rarely sign any older vets, though Lorax doesn't fit that pattern

I'm not sure that's moneyball, but it's a pattern, if one was using a moneyball approach, you would not sign a mostly backup safety who has only started 6 NFL games to an over 3M contract, or a starting nickleback to over 6M, lol, those are not cautious conservative moneyball type FA signings

A Moneyball approach would entail acquiring more draft picks so you can have a larger percentage off the 53 roster in low level fixed rookie contracts, and or you would rarely sign your own impending FA's, you would keep trading them for more draft picks, ala NE, plus you would only sign very in-expensive FA's, our Bills are doing neither...

jc

There is no secret. In fact it's fairly obvious. Most of the Bills signings are depth and a hedge against not being able to get the exact player they want in free agency or the draft. You can plan all day to target certain players. What happens if you can't get them? You need a plan B. Very smart of them.

having an analytics department (or one guy) isn't analogous to using a Moneyball strategy. Browns are the only team to be lead by an executive who has used that (although in another sport), whereas every team uses analytics to some degree.

What the heck is a moneyball approach?

It works in baseball but not for football.

stats based personnel selection

I could be wrong but i thought that Moneyball had to do with a small market team trying to remain competitive with large market teams through stats because they couldn't compete strictly from a revenue/salary perspective. The idea was to find value in players where other teams weren't looking because those would be lower salaried players.

That might not translate as well to the NFL due to the salary cap, but the Osweiler trade was an interesting twist in that the Browns recognized that they had excess value in having to spend up to the minimum spot and they exploited that for the draft picks.

Edited by LI_Bills