compensatory picks counter for 2018 Billsy update.

cba fan

I think its a stupid formula, it should go by total amount of salaries per year not the number of players lost/added. You could lose 2 guys making $15 mil a year and add 2 guys who make $1 mil a year and you dont get anything, doesnt seem fair

You can still pick up free agents and get compensatory picks every year. Well, the smart front offices can, which eliminates us.

The same posters here that think this is just about comp picks are the same people that start the "Is the stadium built on a cursed burial ground??" posts every December.

It's even more baffling because a lot of people want to trade down for extra picks in the draft. Well this was a chance to get an extra 3rd and 4th round pick in '18 if we were smarter in free agency.

Edited by suorangefan4

While it is good for a tea if they can build this way... its not for us at this point. The difference between us and Pats is they can afford to not build through free agency. They have Brady and Bill. They will be good no matter how bad their roster is. They just won the superbowl with a less than stellar roster. We dont have that luxury. They didnt win because they had comp picks... they won because they had Brady and Belicheck that can win in spite of a bad roster. We gotta actually build a complete roster (something we dont have cause all the free agents we had) and win before we can use this strategy to stay ahead. Pats didnt use this strategy to get ahead. Bill and Brady go them ahead. And they used Comp picks to help keep them ahead when they lost key players but Bill and Brady was always a constant they could rely on

Brady was a 6th round comp pick himself, so I think they did use the system to get ahead.

Looks like NE will the the only AFC team that will get free comp picks in 2018

jc

Comp picks are definitely not "free". The clue is in the name - they are compensatory. To compensate you for losing talent. I'm not saying the Bills shouldn't have played this offseason better you understand, you have already seen my posts on that. But it is inaccurate to describe them as "free" picks.

That's why I have no qualms with the Bills not getting comp picks last year when their big FAs were Glenn and Incognito who were retained. That is better than additional picks.

Where I do have question marks on their strategy is this offseason losing 1 premium player and two very good players (Gilmore, Woods and Brown) and refusing the picks intended to compensate for those losses in order to sign full backs, kickers, swing offensive linemen and 4th string receivers.