Patriots build Superbowl team, Bills stay the same!

I don't think we should be comparing our off season moves to that of the Pats, as they are the reigning Super Bowl champs, and almost assured of winning our division and being in the 2017 playoffs, I think a comparison to our competitors for all the other WC spots would be more fitting, for example how we stack up against the Dolphins, Ravens, and Broncos, etc

Unfort the reality is, I do not see the upgrades folks keep talking about, sure I see a potential upgrade in coaching, or at least a change, I see another D scheme change, but I do not see any obvious talent upgrade, or rather I see our team improving depth and durability, but not amongst 22 starting players

For example, we might have slightly upgraded the K and FB positions but IMO they don't impact the game as much as the 22 starters plus the number of 1 pt conversions the guy has missed is disconcerning but no question Dimarco is a top tier NFL blocking FB

I don't see how our offense is in any way improved, we lost both our #2 and #3 WR's one year removed from having lost our #4 WR, in return we added a large number of dumpster dive depth WR's, none of which are defacto starting players in the NFL - I guess the enthusiasm is all based on Sammy being healthy all year, sure that has the potential to make a difference, but a real upgrade would have been adding more competent NFL starters at WR #2 and WR#3 that opposing D co-orindators have to game plan for

Then our D back is in complete rebuild mode, we lost 4/7 starters, and so far have not replaced them with defacto NFL starters, granted we get 2 free draft picks in Ragland, and hopefully a full year of Shaq up front, but we are weaker at both the LB position and corner, and hoping two career backups are gonna replace much more talented safeties

Yes, there is the draft, and many more months of potential signings in the off season, but I think fans forget that all the competing teams get an equal number of draft picks, so most teams improve in tandem, because the reality is only 2-3 players per year per team actually make an impact, if any at all, as on could argue with the exception of Adolphus, nobody did for our Bills last year

Look I'm elated Rex was let go and I like the future direction of our Bills, maybe coaching is the difference and 1-2 of these depth signings rises above, but the reality is we enter the 2017 draft with less assured starting talent than we had end of last year, right now I feel that 2017 is nothing more than a transitional year

jc

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because very few of their big offseason adds work out. Just look at Chad Ochocinco. He was old but beause he was going to Patriots he was supposed to breakout again. Its the smaller additions that fill a role that works out for Pats. Like Chris Hogan.

Or how about Danny Ameldola... he joined Pats and was supposed to become best slot reciever in the game because he was gonna Tom Brady. Instead it was Edelman who broke out as a late round player.

Point being the big names (aside from Moss) never work out and its always the smaller name players that fill the perfect role that makes the Patriots great

Besides Gilmore, I don't see any big names so far on their pick ups......Cooks is OK, but he's no Randy Moss.....Last year, Marty Bennett was the biggest name the picked up.....As I mentioned earlier, it's what they do year after year....you'll notice also that they usually pickup guys at the end of their rookie contract.....so they're cheap for the 1st year and if they want too much $ the following season, BB let's them leave and NE gets a comp pick for it.....

More teams ( including the Bills ) need to use that to their advantage.....

2017 is a 5 or 6 win season with some worthless wins against garbage teams. :worthy:

Don't forgot the games where the opposition goes into prevent D with a two score lead, even in the first quarter, and laughs to a win.

Besides Gilmore, I don't see any big names so far on their pick ups......Cooks is OK, but he's no Randy Moss.....Last year, Marty Bennett was the biggest name the picked up.....As I mentioned earlier, it's what they do year after year....you'll notice also that they usually pickup guys at the end of their rookie contract.....so they're cheap for the 1st year and if they want too much $ the following season, BB let's them leave and NE gets a comp pick for it.....

More teams ( including the Bills ) need to use that to their advantage.....

Kony Ealy replaces sheard, Dwayne Allen replaces bennett, cooks is a huge upgrade, and logan ryan for gilmore is a huge upgrade. If they lose butler, they'll get value back in picks this year.

They're probably waiting on RB to either get blount back for pennies, or add someone liek charles or peterson...

If Gilmore doesn't tackle and holds as often as he did in Buffalo, Bill may well regret this signing and proceed accordingly. And by the way, there's something called the draft coming up.

Yes, the draft will be the salvation of the Bills as always.

So hopefully they find someone to fill the hole that Gilmore left so that they can get back to the 2016 level out there.

Yes, the draft will be the salvation of the Bills as always.

So hopefully they find someone to fill the hole that Gilmore left so that they can get back to the 2016 level out there.

It's the offseason. Can you save some of your doom and gloom for the regular season? It's St. Patrick's Day, go get yourself a beer if you're this miserable.

2017 opponents

New England 2 embarrassing losses

Miami split 1 win & 1 loss

NY Jets 1 Win & 1 loss

@ Kanas City heartbreaking loss

@Los Angeles Chargers, win

@Atlanta blow out loss

@Carolina heart breaker loss, though a moral victory. LOL

@Cincinnati, loss.

Denver, loss probable shut out

Raiders loss in a shootout

New Orleans loss in a shootout

Tampa Bay, win

Tennessee, win

Overall record 5-11. Buy your season passes and NFL Sunday ticket now to watch another year junk football.

2017 opponents

NY Jets 1 Win & 1 loss

@Atlanta blow out loss

@Cincinnati, loss.

Tampa Bay, win

Tennessee, win

Overall record 5-11. Buy your season passes and NFL Sunday ticket now to watch another year junk football.

Not to pile on...but I think Tennessee is going to be much better this year...not saying we'll lose to them, but it's going to be a tougher game than most think....

Edited by Iron Maiden

The Patriots get Gilmore, Cooks and Hightower, the Bills resign Tyrod, draft replacement for Gilmore.

New England 14-2, Bills 6-10. What's the point of even watching. Seen this film before.

The difference between Ryan and McDermott are like night and day,

I'm feeling the exact opposite OP

As far as Tom Brady and the Patriots go, it gives the Buffalo Bills a chance to prepare and play against the very best in the league twice a season. 3 times in all likelihood to advance in the playoffs.

I hate losing to them, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Edited by Figster

The difference between Ryan and McDermott are like night and day,

I'm feeling the exact opposite OP

As far as Tom Brady and the Patriots go, it gives the Buffalo Bills a chance to prepare and play against the very best in the league twice a season. 3 times in all likelihood to advance in the playoffs.

I hate losing to them, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

After losing to them like we have ( 26 out of 29...or 89.6% ) I wouldn't mind taking a break from playing them twice a year...at least until Brady leaves....

The Patriots get Gilmore, Cooks and Hightower, the Bills resign Tyrod, draft replacement for Gilmore.

New England 14-2, Bills 6-10. What's the point of even watching. Seen this film before.

CYA, then?

....hate 'em both all you want, but it seems like premier clubs ala Pats and Steelers have a good draft or perhaps two and then spend theit time filling in minor gaps as in backup personnel., usually with reasonable FA signings or UDFA gems...over the past two decades, it doesn't seem like Bflo has been anywhere near that model....gaping holes seem to exist every year....and there's only so much $$ putty to fill holes via draft or FA....why does Bflo always seems to miss?...FO?...GM?....coaching staff and their input?....55 years of frustration here.....

2017 opponents

NY Jets 1 Win & 1 loss

@Atlanta blow out loss

@Cincinnati, loss.

Tampa Bay, win

Tennessee, win

Yerp. Tampa is a loss too though.