T.J. Watt

jrober38

I want this guy.

6'4, 252 with room to get bigger and stronger. His test scores were ridiculous at the combine (just like his brother). At that size, a 6.79 three cone and 4.13 short shuttle are insane.

On the old Message Board there was a formula that predicted pass rusher success in the NFL, he winds up the in category of "low risk". He checks the sub 7 second three cone, he checks the twitch rating, and he's on the cusp of cracking the explosive power rating. To put things in perspective, his scores are pretty close to being on par with guys like Demarcus Ware and Von Miller.

Watt's movement skills are truly in elite company relative to other edge rushers. This guy is going to be a 10+ sack a year player in the NFL.

I know Defensive End isn't technically a "need", but if this guy is a perennial Pro Bowler for the next decade (which his test scores suggest is likely), then we should be considering him. I don't care where he's currently being projected, this guy looks like he's going to be a special player who you can build a defensive line around.

Edited by jrober38

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3-cone under 7. Yes, he will wreck people at the NFL level. I think the Clay Matthews comparisons are right on.

In all seriousness his numbers are insane.

From a test score standpoint (which are proven to matter a LOT with edge rushers), he's right there with guys like Von Miller, Demarcus Ware and Clay Matthews.

This guy is going to be a stud pass rusher in the NFL. All the signs are there.

His concerns are big concerns IMO

Not really.

Von Miller had all of the same concerns coming out of college. Clay Matthews couldn't crack the starting lineup at USC until his final year.

This guy's movement skills are elite. The thread from the BBMB would have classified him as "low risk", and guys in that category pretty much always went on to become excellent NFL players.

Edited by jrober38

If he's related to JJ, which he is, then I want him. Would be awesome if he could channel the bloodlines. Also make him make his brother come here please.

Riiiight, because Dan Gronkowski and Glenn Gronkowski are right up there with Rob.

How about we evaluate players using their on-field accomplishments and scouting? Yes, this guy looked great in shorts, but what has he done on the field?

The Bills have a history of drafting players high who have not had great on-field accomplishments in college, but whom they feel are undiscovered gems they can coach up and develop.

The truth is, that tendency has led to some very poor performance from high choices - Aaron Maybin, Torrell Troup, etc.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Not really.

Von Miller had all of the same concerns coming out of college. Clay Matthews couldn't crack the starting lineup at USC until his final year.

This guy's movement skills are elite. The thread from the BBMB would have classified him as "low risk", and guys in that category pretty much always went on to become excellent NFL players.

The biggest of the concerns is a lot of the production came from being unblocked and tight ends.

Riiiight, because Dan Gronkowski and Glenn Gronkowski are right up there with Rob.

How about we evaluate players using their on-field accomplishments and scouting? Yes, this guy looked great in shorts, but what has he done on the field?

Dan and Glenn aren't athletic. TJ Watt is a freak, just like his brother.

His movement skills are on the same level as numerous prospects who went on to become elite NFL pass rushers.

Dan and Glenn aren't athletic. TJ Watt is a freak, just like his brother.

His movement skills are on the same level as numerous prospects who went on to become elite NFL pass rushers.

Agreed. TJ Watt is a safe pick.

Edited by jeffismagic

The biggest of the concerns is a lot of the production came from being unblocked and tight ends.

There's not a ton of video online, but from what I've seen plenty of his production was beating offensive tackles one on one.

There's not a ton of video online, but from what I've seen plenty of his production was beating offensive tackles one on one.

I was talking to someone that is a die hard Wisconsin fan and he expects the Packers to draft him if available in the first. Makes sense as Packers know how to draft plus he is right in their backyard.

I don't know much about the guy so I'm relying on scouting reports. Here's NFL.com

ANALYSIS

Strengths

Produced at high-end level with just one season of full-time football. Has desired length for the edge with room to accommodate more size. Attacks blockers with early arm extension and utilizes push-pull technique to upset their balance as his pet move against run and pass. Outstanding hand play in his game. Disruptive as first man in on twists. Always ready to leap into passing lane and deflect the throw. Strikes fast and early to create leverage points. Rarely has helmet involved in play and is constantly searching for the ball. Understands art of quick disengagements and can flatten out against outside run. Has good agility to clear trash near his feet and pursue the ball. Functional in space when asked to cover. Can get skinny when shooting gaps and has decisiveness and pursuit quickness to crash down the line and close-out cutback lanes. Consistent, wrap-up finisher as tackler.

Weaknesses

Not overly twitched-up as an athlete. Short strider who lacks explosion out of stance and up the field to bend the edge as a pass rusher. Foot quickness is average and needs to win with technique and great hand play. Won't generate enough acceleration to crank up speed-to-power rush with consistency. Plays with a narrow base. Needs to play with more consistent bend to play through redirection by offensive line. Will have to add power in his base to hold point of attack against tackles. Pass rush menu will need more options against NFL tackles.

Sources Tell Us

"He looked a lot stronger and a lot more confident on tape this year. He needs to get bigger, but he's already a strong guy. I can see him standing or playing base end for a 4-3 team. He's going to keep getting better." -- Midwest area scout for AFC team

NFL Comparison

Paul Kruger

Bottom Line

A long-limbed effort rusher who posted impressive numbers against the run and pass in just one year as a starter. He is a tireless worker who pursues from snap to whistle and his brother, J.J., will be a tremendous resource for technique and pass-rush plan. While he is unlikely to win a race to the edge, he's a plus run defender who can get to the quarterback with plus hand work and relentless effort.

I just don't see how he fits in this system unless they plan on using him as a LB. I wouldn't play him at DE. Von Miller plays 3-4 OLB not 4-3 DE. I'd be on board with trading down and giving him a shot at WLB although it could be a tough transition. Then we could get CB, WR and Safety in the first 3 rds

Edited by NewEra

Agreed. TJ Watt is a safe pick.

There's no doubt in my mind that he's going to be a stud.

You can tell when you watch him play that he loves football, that he's got a non stop motor, and to top it all off he's a freak athlete. In 3-4 years when he's in the prime of his career, and he's filled out his body, he's going to be wrecking the NFL.

I wanted JJ Watt over Marcel Dareus 6 years ago. People called me crazy. JJ's performance against Ohio State and his test scores at the combine (one of the most freakish performances ever) did it for me. High floor, with an unlimited ceiling.

I don't want to miss again. This guy is going to be an elite NFL pass rusher for the next decade. He's a guy you build your defense around (think Von Miller, Demarcus Ware and Clay Matthews).