The Ignorant Steve King

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/03/12/iowa-rep-steve-king-muslim-children/99099712/

U.S. Rep. Steve King, an Iowa Republican who last July said white Christians have contributed more to Western civilization than any other subgroup, on Sunday found himself again the subject of criticism, this time for saying that Muslim children are preventing our civilization from being restored.

King, who was retweeting a message endorsing Geert Wilders, a far-right candidate for Dutch prime minister, said Wilders understands that culture and demographics are our destiny. We can't restore our civilization with somebody else's babies.

---------------------

This is the same crap they were saying about Italians and Catholics a hundred years ago. How Protestants had created western civilization, blah blah. I guess he never read a book on world history about how many of the great contributions to progress came from before Christianity or from other groups of people. I guess he is blind to how immigrants are adding so much to the economy. Just a cretin

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/03/12/iowa-rep-steve-king-muslim-children/99099712/

U.S. Rep. Steve King, an Iowa Republican who last July said white Christians have contributed more to Western civilization than any other subgroup, on Sunday found himself again the subject of criticism, this time for saying that Muslim children are preventing our civilization from being restored.

King, who was retweeting a message endorsing Geert Wilders, a far-right candidate for Dutch prime minister, said Wilders understands that culture and demographics are our destiny. We can't restore our civilization with somebody else's babies.

---------------------

This is the same crap they were saying about Italians and Catholics a hundred years ago. How Protestants had created western civilization, blah blah. I guess he never read a book on world history about how many of the great contributions to progress came from before Christianity or from other groups of people. I guess he is blind to how immigrants are adding so much to the economy. Just a cretin

You bring up an important point. Those great contributions to progress came not only before Christianity but before Islam. Christianity basically migrated to the western world and the western world continued to progress. What did the Islamic world do? Now before anyone wants to accuse me of painting with a broad brush or (shudder) of being a racist let's look at how the women are treated in a large part of the Islamic world. How about the widespread preference for sharia law? The stonings? The honor killings? The female mutilation? The buggery of young boys? Now I know that not all Muslims approve of this but a substantial number either condone or look the other way when it comes to these abominations. Why would any sane person want to import people who believe this way into our country?

You bring up an important point. Those great contributions to progress came not only before Christianity but before Islam. Christianity basically migrated to the western world and the western world continued to progress. What did the Islamic world do? Now before anyone wants to accuse me of painting with a broad brush or (shudder) of being a racist let's look at how the women are treated in a large part of the Islamic world. How about the widespread preference for sharia law? The stonings? The honor killings? The female mutilation? The buggery of young boys? Now I know that not all Muslims approve of this but a substantial number either condone or look the other way when it comes to these abominations. Why would any sane person want to import people who believe this way into our country?

Stonings. Honor killing. That's old school Christian.

But looking the other way on buggery? That's Boston.

Let's make America white again!!!!

White Power!!!

Stephen King must be amused by the confusion.

Western civilization is superior to other civilizations, it was built primarily by white christians, and you can't restore it by importing other cultures. Why is that offensive?

Less "offensive" than "arrant nonsense." A huge portion of Western civilization was imported or derivative.

In fact, the lack of insularity and willingness to absorb and embrace other cultures is one of the unique hallmarks of Western civilization. Most cultures are highly insular, the West, uniquely, isn't.

Stonings. Honor killing. That's old school Christian.

But looking the other way on buggery? That's Boston.

I will say this, much like Christianity had to go through major reforms to change their brutal ways from many centuries ago, it is the religion of Islam that needs to take a good look at itself and purge the extremist factions they face today. There needs to be a level of introspection within that religion. I don't believe drawing a moral equivalence between the two paints an accurate depiction of the challenges that the religion of Islam is facing today.

Less "offensive" than "arrant nonsense." A huge portion of Western civilization was imported or derivative.

In fact, the lack of insularity and willingness to absorb and embrace other cultures is one of the unique hallmarks of Western civilization. Most cultures are highly insular, the West, uniquely, isn't.

I think we're talking about two different things. There's a difference between cultural appropriation (which is apparently a bad thing now) and importing non-assimilating sub-cultures.

Western civilization is superior to other civilizations, it was built primarily by white christians, and you can't restore it by importing other cultures. Why is that offensive?

It isn't . In the PC universe , however one must be " inclusive" and the truth shall not be uttered . It may " offend " someone . That's why those who claim to be for women's rights can also stand up for muslims. The hypocrisy doesn't occur to them.

I think we're talking about two different things. There's a difference between cultural appropriation (which is apparently a bad thing now) and importing non-assimilating sub-cultures.

Only if you believe that your physical environment and neighbors have no bearing on culture. Otherwise, I think he's correct.