Beer Thread

RaoulDuke79

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I final opened that Treehouse Julius watching the Sabres. Very nice. I'd go out of my way for it but an hour+ wait?? Founders All Day IPA has a similar profile. Easier to acquire. 

I doubt that brewery would be happy to hear you compare the two LOL. And I am with you, I ain't waiting for a beer! Too many good ones out there.

4 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

i think i have only ever had the 60 minute ipa from dogfish head. i thought it was good, but not great. a while ago i had sampled some beers from the Ohio Brewing Co. there were some damn fine beers there. damn fine.

The 60 in the can is the perfect beer for me for an everyday beer. Not expensive, tastes just fine right out of the can, at 6% can drink more than a few. Is it the best IPA out there..no way, but for what I want out of it it is perfect!

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

The 60 in the can is the perfect beer for me for an everyday beer. Not expensive, tastes just fine right out of the can, at 6% can drink more than a few. Is it the best IPA out there..no way, but for what I want out of it it is perfect!

i really like the taste of Founders All Day IPA. Ohio Brewing Co. has an amazing IPA. i have only had it once but the flavor absolutely blew me away. 

In Va Beach for the holiday, decided I needed a break from MIL so went to the new smartmouth “ pilot house” on 32nd. 

Like so many “ brewery/tasting rooms” not really conducive to meeting and talking to folks if one walks in solo. No bar , just big room with some tables. As always, to many beer geeks like @thepoojer?, too many hipsters, and not near enough, if any , attractive young ladies to oogle. 

Nice patio though, and would recommend if you are in Va Beach for family vacation and need a break from the family!

Beer is is great though , but must say their saison and hef much better than the hoppier beers I tasted. 

Should mention, the price is right too! $4 for a 160z pour!

Edited by plenzmd1

Devil's Backbone, a Virginia brewery, just put out Earned Run Ale in the DC area, a session pale ale that was only available at Nats Park last year.  Comes in a pack of 4 16oz cans.  

Will also inbide soon in some Hennepin, a saision from the fine folks from Ommegang in Cooperstown.  Great brewery and a very good ale.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Devil's Backbone, a Virginia brewery, just put out Earned Run Ale in the DC area, a session pale ale that was only available at Nats Park last year.  Comes in a pack of 4 16oz cans.  

Will also inbide soon in some Hennepin, a saision from the fine folks from Ommegang in Cooperstown.  Great brewery and a very good ale.

Ommegang has some great beers.  Also a terrific live music venue (with camping) just outside of Cooperstown.  Saw the Avett Brothers there a couple years ago.

2 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Mofos (Devils Backbone)CASHED out too!!! And I mean that in a good way..estimats for what they they sold to Bud around here are from $45 to $70M.

And love Hennepin!

41 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Mofos (Devils Backbone)CASHED out too!!! And I mean that in a good way..estimats for what they they sold to Bud around here are from $45 to $70M.

Yeah, sorta takes the small, independent brewer label away from DB but they continue to make some fine, very drinkable, products.  If Mr. Budweiser showed up at my door with an open checkbook, it would be tough to say "no."  I know some small brewers have told the big boys to go pack sand, and I respect them for that, but I also can't blame any business for considering an opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Yeah, sorta takes the small, independent brewer label away from DB but they continue to make some fine, very drinkable, products.  If Mr. Budweiser showed up at my door with an open checkbook, it would be tough to say "no."  I know some small brewers have told the big boys to go pack sand, and I respect them for that, but I also can't blame any business for considering an opportunity.

Bud has pretty much left all their acquisitions alone from what I understand..going all the way back to Goose Island. They just put their distribution/marketing/ production capacity behind the brand, but try to maintain everything else. 

These craft geeks that get all up in arms when someone cashes out can go pound sand..everyone would do the same thing!

• Like (+1) 1

Wicked Weed somehow became the whipping Boys of the whole acquisition thing. They got destroyed in the beer community, going so far as having to cancel their signature yearly event a couple of years ago. Granted they really didn't need to sell to the big boys as they were born out of big boys. Pretty much the principles came from the skincare product proactiv money. They still make really really good beer 

16 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Bud has pretty much left all their acquisitions alone from what I understand..going all the way back to Goose Island. They just put their distribution/marketing/ production capacity behind the brand, but try to maintain everything else. 

These craft geeks that get all up in arms when someone cashes out can go pound sand..everyone would do the same thing!

This is fairly accurate.  They bought out Elysian here, and all of the existing beers have remained the same.  The problem is that nothing new has come out of there for years that's actually good.  They lost their head brewer who quit after the AB/InBev acquisition.

Any brands bought by InBev are essentially "frozen in time" from the date they bought the microbrewer.

• Like (+1) 1

Johnny Hammersticks

The Poojer

So I finally got to try Prison City's Mass Riot that won awards and is in high demand.  Wow was that an amazing beer.  It's one of those things that I thought eh how good can it be?  The answer is really !@#$ing good!  Well worth getting your hands on if you can.

Edited by section122

I stopped by there on my to syracuse about 18 months ago, i was very impressed and not just by the mass riot, their beer menu was chock full of really good beers

4 minutes ago, section122 said:

Johnny Hammersticks

The Poojer

So I finally got to try Prison City's Mass Riot that won awards and is in high demand.  Wow was that an amazing beer.  It's one of those things that I thought eh how good can it be?  The answer is really !@#$ing good!  Well worth getting your hands on if you can.

5 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I stopped by there on my to syracuse about 18 months ago, i was very impressed and not just by the mass riot, their beer menu was chock full of really good beers

Yeah there are a few now in town after their success.  I really was surprised about the Mass Riot.  I'm not a big IPA or hops guy so I figured it wouldn't be for me.  I really can't say enough about how good it was.  I might have to stand in line next time too lol

Edited by section122
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just read about the new Veil site in Westover Hills, near the Nickle Bridge.  Sounds very cool for that area.

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

wondered into a Lidl yesterday for the first time, and they had a Saison Ale for $ 4 a six..I said "what the hell, how bad can it be?"One sip and I basically paid $4 for that sip. Makes Genny a Heady Toppy in comparison!

• Haha (+1) 1

Wife came home from store with a six of Narragansett Shandy  for me cause it was on sale, in a can, and she has seen me have a Leiny Shandy at the Nats game when its 90 degrees! 

It's a rough one boys, but gotta be nice and choke this one down..and then ditch the others one at a time over the next week or so.Stay away, far far away! image.jpeg.a5829b983bdeab2e86dbdf324aa00ab9.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...