Greg Cosell Thinks Bills Should Move On From Tyrod Taylor

Our cap space is already limited if we don't resign Gilmore and any of our free agents. Even journeyman FA beyond backup quality FA, cost millions to play as starters. If we don't resign our free agents, we still have to use up our already meager cap space to replace them. We lucked out last year with Brown's and Lorax's one year deals. That is a rarity, not a regularity. We hit the gold mine with Incognito because of off field issues. Expecting those things to happen again is not that realistic. Letting TT go actually adds to our meager cap space. Not paying Woods, Gilmore and others does not add a penny to our existing cap space. About the only other contracts beyond Kyle that realistically frees up a substantial amount of cap space without a ton of dead money are Wood and Graham.

great points.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100% with his assessment. Read this and then read his assessment of Watson and tell me that TT isn't Watson's ceiling.

What in tarnations are you saying ?

What does Watson have to do with TT ?

One throws the ball all over from the pocket, the other rarely passes.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Like I said, read them both, back to back and tell me that they don't sound like basically the same player

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/greg-cosells-nfl-draft-breakdown-accomplished-deshaun-watson-has-areas-to-work-on-164552341.html

Edited by Clemfield2622

Do you agree with Cosell's opinion or not? His opinion on Tyrod and Watson is very similar. I sure hope you're not trying to compare their games considering one plays in college...

Do you agree with Cosell's opinion or not? His opinion on Tyrod and Watson is very similar. I sure hope you're not trying to compare their games considering one plays in college...

Didn't read it but live in VA and saw Tyrod a million times and I've seen most Clemson games

Watson is a pocket passer. TT is a playmaker half the time. I don't see any comps at all tbh.

Watson taller and doesn't hold for ball forever in hopes of running.

Didn't read it but live in VA and saw Tyrod a million times and I've seen most Clemson games

Watson is a pocket passer. TT is a playmaker half the time. I don't see any comps at all tbh.

I'm not attacking you, but Cosell says 100% the opposite

A lot of the questions I have about Watson come from his play in the pocket. He’s not a comfortable pocket quarterback, and playing from the pocket has to be the foundation for any NFL quarterback. He’s not as good from the pocket as Trubisky.

My sense is Watson doesn’t see the field well. There are issues with his vision in the pocket and understanding and feel for route concepts. And for a quarterback who isn’t a turn-it-loose thrower and a risk taker, like Jameis Winston for example, Watson had too many bad reads and poor throws last season. He exhibited poor judgment too many times.

There are other things NFL teams will have to evaluate with Watson: He can be erratic at times with ball placement, and his deep accuracy was definitely a concern last season. He is not a refined pocket mover; there’s too much of a tendency to look to leave the pocket. He also has a little bit of a hitch in his delivery, with a tendency to separate his feet rather than plant his back foot as he starts his throwing motion, which changes his eye level, negatively impacts vision and also impacts his ability to drive the ball.

Edited by Clemfield2622

Watson plays in a college offense where he rarely has to go through progressions. He threw numerous interceptions due to poor ball placement and field vision, which is not something you want from your QB in a simplified offense. Buzzwords like "pocket passer" and "playmaker" are just that - buzzwords. Tyrod has produced on the field in an NFL offense and Watson hasn't. For that reason alone I would take Tyrod moving forward over Watson because the transition from college to the pros is unpredictable, and many supposed strengths turn out to be a product of the simple schemes and weak opponents. IMO Watson's interception problems are enough for him to drop to the late 2nd, and that doesn't include his other issues that will pop up in an NFL offense (like how he doesn't know how to take snaps from under center).

My sense is Watson doesn’t see the field well. There are issues with his vision in the pocket and understanding and feel for route concepts. And for a quarterback who isn’t a turn-it-loose thrower and a risk taker, like Jameis Winston for example, Watson had too many bad reads and poor throws last season. He exhibited poor judgment too many times.

I think he's a huge risk taker like Jameis that's why he threw for 8700 yards in 2 years. I'd take him over Taylor in a nanosecond jmo.

Watson plays in a college offense where he rarely has to go through progressions. He threw numerous interceptions due to poor ball placement and field vision, which is not something you want from your QB in a simplified offense. Buzzwords like "pocket passer" and "playmaker" are just that - buzzwords. Tyrod has produced on the field in an NFL offense and Watson hasn't. For that reason alone I would take Tyrod moving forward over Watson because the transition from college to the pros is unpredictable, and many supposed strengths turn out to be a product of the simple schemes and weak opponents. IMO Watson's interception problems are enough for him to drop to the late 2nd, and that doesn't include his other issues that will pop up in an NFL offense (like how he doesn't know how to take snaps from under center).

Fair enough but Tyrod is a severely limited passer that Watson will not be.

'Pocket passer is simply a buzzword', said nobody ever.

'The transition from college to the pros is unpredictable'? Srsly? Taylor can operate an NFL offense under center and Watson can't?

These leaps in logic...they're downright Olympic.

First, it's simply not true that he's moderately priced. He's a bridge QB who if he stays for five years will have these five QBs as the closest to him in terms of average yearly salary: Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Phillip Rivers and Eli Manning. Those are the only five QBs who would be within a million dollars per year of Tyrod's two-year average. He's guaranteed $40.5 mill if he stays for two years, so that's $20.25 mill per year, and only those five QBs are within a million of that.

And the reason our offense scored a lot was our run game. The pass game was below average.

Our TDs last year looked like this: 3 defensive TDs, 17 passing TDs and 29 running TDs, in a league where not a single other team scored more running TDs than passing TDs.

why do you purposely put Tom Brady in here? You know he takes and restructures every few years on purpose? Brady would command 100 mil on the market easily. Makes your posts lacking of taste when you have to resort to deception in an effort to bash Taylor.