Greg Cosell Thinks Bills Should Move On From Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It amazes me how many people in Buffalo just accept a "tank" mentality. I hate it. This town really deserves losing teams with that kind of thinking.

Be Good. Be as good as the team can possibly be. No reason to waste a season or multiple seasons of peoples lives and careers by losing on purpose....not to mention the ticket buying public wasting their money.

I'd keep Tyrod as my starter. There's no one BETTER to replace him yet. Draft a guy and keep developing Cardale. maybe one of them can supplant Tyrod in the future.

If everyone loves Darnold so much then by all means, after he declares trade the entire next two drafts to get him. But don't lose on purpose now in the hopes things miraculously work out. They don't. Ask Pegula and the Sabres.

Taking is like any other strategy, it has a more than decent probability of failing. The difference is if your tank strategy fails you are left with an abysmal team years away from contention. I'm sure people on this board have mentioned the Colts as the warning of what can happen. The Sabres are another. We've already been through one failed tank as a city, why do so many people want another?

Anyone else think what he says is a bit contradictory... almost to the point of being obtuse?

To recap:

- Taylor isn't great, but he's a "QB you can start in this league..." and when he's saying that it's not like he's saying, "well, you can start him, but you won't win games with him..." more like you'll win some games and lose some games. In other words, you'll "tread water" with him. You won't drown. You'll tread water.

BUT

- Don't draft a QB at 10. None are worth it.

SO

- Start Cardale Jones, even though in all likelihood he's not your franchise QB.

Anyone else finding this line of thinking head scratching and completely disregarding some of the simple realities of today's NFL?

I actually respect Cosell's opinion

But.....if I understand what he is saying

- Tyrod is a starting qb but not a franchise qb (we all knew that)

- The REPLACEMENT for Tyrod is not in this draft

soooooo what are the bills supposed to do according to Cossel

Exactly... it's a bit of a head-scratcher.

All he poses is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario.

Taking is like any other strategy, it has a more than decent probability of failing. The difference is if your tank strategy fails you are left with an abysmal team years away from contention. I'm sure people on this board have mentioned the Colts as the warning of what can happen. The Sabres are another. We've already been through one failed tank as a city, why do so many people want another?

As long as we don't have a franchise QB we will be years away from contending. And even once you have one a lot has to fall right to contend.

We aren't close now. You gotta start somewhere, and paying for two more years of Taylor is just prolonging the rebuild.

I mean...the goal is the SB, right? Forget this 'we can make a wildcard with so-and-so if the defense is top 5 and Carpenter gets a bionic leg'...I don't see a first round humiliation as progress.

Taylor's Cap hit is going to be 9.5% of the teams total CAP for 2017.

In 2016, Alex Smith took up 11.5% of his team's CAP, Russell Wilson took up 11.9%, Andrew Luck took up 12.5%, Cam Newton took up 12.8%, Eli Manning took up 15.6%, and Joe Flacco took up 15.8%.

I know that right now Taylor's somewhere down around 20th, but I bet that number goes down even more if guys like Carr get contracts this offseason.

People are obsessing over the total value of the contract in terms of how much money Taylor will get. Maybe this is going out on a limb (I don't think it is), but I really don't think the Pegulas, who seem to sincerely be committed to winning, are going to quibble over the total money that Taylor is going to get. You own a sports franchise, it's absolutely unavoidable that you're going to spend money on players and not every single player you spend money on will earn all of it. You don't mess around with the most important position in sports. You need a guy to play QB. You can always keep looking if you have one, but someone who is competent needs to line up on Sundays if you want to sell it to your fan base that you're trying to win.

Taylor accounts for less than 10% of our Cap if his contract remains as is. And I think it should. I don't want him to renegotiate... if he does we're kicking the can down the road and losing our option to treat this contract (and Taylor) as the Bridge QB we can currently view him as with this contract.

Caught the interview this afternoon on the JMS. Always interesting to hear Cosell's thoughts on various QBs.

Greg Cosell: "How can a QB execute the offense" (18:30)
NFL analyst and NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell joined the John Murphy Show from the NFL Combine. He discussed what he's seen from Tyrod Taylor and broke down the QB draft prospects.

More than tanking or rebuilding vs going for it my biggest concern now is that the Bills don't actually have a strategy. The last few years we were trying to get in the playoffs or bust and now we have no idea what the Bills are going to do.

If the Bills GM tells the Pegulas he is ready for the playoffs and then wins 6 games he should be fired. I really hope the Bills do a sober assessment of this roster and execute a plan, any plan. Following a flawed plan well is better than just throwing stuff up against a wall which seems to be what we have done the last few years.

For sure not the franchise tag amount. he is not a top five CB.

Fair enough. I agree that I wouldn't pay him but if I wanted to go for broke and make the playoffs next year I would franchise tag him. I don't see a playoff roster so I would go for the comp pick.

Never thought I'd say this, but go get Cutler. Sign Marshall, draft another WR and actually have a modern NFL offense. Doubt you'll have to pay cutler more than $12-15m guaranteed. Will be easier to walk away from cutler than Tyrod next year, and I actually think team would have a higher ceiling next year with cutler. Floor is lower but I'd rather go with a boom or bust guy than an 8-8 guy like Tyrod.

Never thought I'd say this, but go get Cutler. Sign Marshall, draft another WR and actually have a modern NFL offense. Doubt you'll have to pay cutler more than $12-15m guaranteed. Will be easier to walk away from cutler than Tyrod next year, and I actually think team would have a higher ceiling next year with cutler. Floor is lower but I'd rather go with a boom or bust guy than an 8-8 guy like Tyrod.

No! No! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnd....No!