Addressing WR2 and WR3 this Offseason

Hyphe23

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. His numbers don't warrant a huge contract elsewhere. We will at least make him an offer and I think he might take it. $6.5M range

Sanu got 6.5 AAV last year. I think woods is better, and by sheer % of cap with a cap increase he should get more than him. I'd try to keep him at 6.5, but not at 8.

I feel like Tavon Austin's contract throws off the market a bit too, so he might grab a few extra mil right off of that.

Sanu got 6.5 AAV last year. I think woods is better, and by sheer % of cap with a cap increase he should get more than him. I'd try to keep him at 6.5, but not at 8.

I feel like Tavon Austin's contract throws off the market a bit too, so he might grab a few extra mil right off of that.

Im curious, why do you think Woods is better? I have nothing against him, but man he is frustrating. I never seen a WR lose his feet as often as he does. He has had many times under several QB's to step up and be the guy on this team when Sammy has been out or hurt and has never really ceased the moment. Especially with TT under center, we have seen how productive a healthy Sammy can be here and Woods always looks like a second fiddle guy masquerading as a top target out of desperation only when he has had to be the man cuz Sammy was hurt.

I mean Sanu is not exactly a stud himself, so i guess its splitting hairs a bit here. Probably has to do with how disappointed I am with Woods in the NFL as I really was excited about him when we drafted him. I thought he had a Jimmy Smith kind of quality to him, but now he reminds me more of Josh Reed.

I couldn't believe the deal Tavon got...one of the worst contracts I have seen and I remember thinking at the moment it was going to screw this FA WR season up. Its bad enough how small he is, but he struggles catching the ball and runs bad routes. The only thing Tavon has going for him is his explosiveness when he gets his hands on the ball as he can take a short play and score. But there are plenty of guys like that for cheaper than what they paid Tavon.

Im curious, why do you think Woods is better? I have nothing against him, but man he is frustrating. I never seen a WR lose his feet as often as he does. He has had many times under several QB's to step up and be the guy on this team when Sammy has been out or hurt and has never really ceased the moment. Especially with TT under center, we have seen how productive a healthy Sammy can be here and Woods always looks like a second fiddle guy masquerading as a top target out of desperation only when he has had to be the man cuz Sammy was hurt.

I mean Sanu is not exactly a stud himself, so i guess its splitting hairs a bit here. Probably has to do with how disappointed I am with Woods in the NFL as I really was excited about him when we drafted him. I thought he had a Jimmy Smith kind of quality to him, but now he reminds me more of Josh Reed.

There is a prevailing belief that if Woods just went elsewhere he'd get more opportunities and be able to show off his skills better.

That's far from a certainty, IMO.

He's always been the WR2 in Buffalo and with his limited game.......he basically only excels at intermediate routes........he may not be able to "break out" elsewhere either and could find himself with even fewer targets.

Take Sanu as an example of this.......he was more productive in 2014 with Andy Dalton than he was in 2016 with Matt Ryan and the top ranked scoring offense in the NFL.

For every Emmanuel Sanders there seems to be many guys that go to seemingly better surroundings and produce the same or even worse numbers.

There is a prevailing belief that if Woods just went elsewhere he'd get more opportunities and be able to show off his skills better.

That's far from a certainty, IMO.

He's always been the WR2 in Buffalo and with his limited game.......he basically only excels at intermediate routes........he may not be able to "break out" elsewhere either and could find himself with even fewer targets.

Take Sanu as an example of this.......he was more productive in 2014 with Andy Dalton than he was in 2016 with Matt Ryan and the top ranked scoring offense in the NFL.

For every Emmanuel Sanders there seems to be many guys that go to seemingly better surroundings and produce the same or even worse numbers.

Yup, couldn't agree more. There have been guys where I felt they could excel somewhere else, but Woods isnt one of them. For example, I always felt that Evans could have been an even better WR had he not wasted his time here catching passes from some of the worst QB's in the NFL most of his career. But if Woods goes somewhere else, I feel he's going to be another SJ13...a guy everyone thought was better than he really was and was actually less productive while often playing on better offenses with better QB's.

OJ Howard @ 10 and Darreus Rogers on day three.... Although it probably doesn't matter who else you got if OJ howard is on your squad..

While I wouldn't hate adding another player like OJ to the roster, I have reservations of investing the 10th pick on a kid who have to explain why his production doesn't match the expectations. If you look around the NFL, the vast majority of the top TE's in football past and present were not first round finds, in fact, many were mid round or even UDFA finds. Something about the TE position that makes it less important in college and talent can be found all over the place.

So with Clay on the roster, I have a hard time getting excited about using a top 10 pick on a TE when we very badly need a WR or someone in our secondary with us looking at 3 of our 4 starters needing to be replaced assuming Gilmore doesnt come back. We badly need 2 new Safeties, but if Gilmore does officially leave as expected, we also have a nasty hole at DB. Now we could also address some of those positions in FA too, so may not have as many holes come draft night...but still, hard to get excited about a high first round pick on a TE.

None of the previous super talented TE's have lived up to expectations in recent memory...Ebron, Pettigrew, Gresham, Effect (funny who two teams combined to draft all 4 of those) have all failed to live up to expectations. Ebron has had the best career so far, but not exactly at the level expected based on how hyped he was coming out. Eifert has resembled the best weapon of all of them, but he's yet to really break out and has been injury prone.

While I wouldn't hate adding another player like OJ to the roster, I have reservations of investing the 10th pick on a kid who have to explain why his production doesn't match the expectations. If you look around the NFL, the vast majority of the top TE's in football past and present were not first round finds, in fact, many were mid round or even UDFA finds. Something about the TE position that makes it less important in college and talent can be found all over the place.

So with Clay on the roster, I have a hard time getting excited about using a top 10 pick on a TE when we very badly need a WR or someone in our secondary with us looking at 3 of our 4 starters needing to be replaced assuming Gilmore doesnt come back. We badly need 2 new Safeties, but if Gilmore does officially leave as expected, we also have a nasty hole at DB. Now we could also address some of those positions in FA too, so may not have as many holes come draft night...but still, hard to get excited about a high first round pick on a TE.

None of the previous super talented TE's have lived up to expectations in recent memory...Ebron, Pettigrew, Gresham, Effect (funny who two teams combined to draft all 4 of those) have all failed to live up to expectations. Ebron has had the best career so far, but not exactly at the level expected based on how hyped he was coming out. Eifert has resembled the best weapon of all of them, but he's yet to really break out and has been injury prone.

I really feel like McDoomed will lobby for bigger WR's... Coming from an offense that featured Kelvin Benjamin @ 6'5", Devin Funchess @ 6'4" and Greg Olsen @ 6'5".... Size Matters..... If we're going to roll with Cardale, might as well get him the biggest help around.

Edited by #34fan

I really feel like McDoomed will lobby for bigger WR's... Coming from an offense that featured Kelvin Benjamin @ 6'5", Devin Funchess @ 6'4" and Greg Olsen @ 6'5".... Size Matters..... If we're going to roll with Cardale, might as well get him the biggest help around.

Wouldn't mind Malachi Dupre in the 2-3 range!

I have serious doubts we are rolling with Cardale. I doubt McDermott is going to want to go into camp with him as his primary choice as the starter. Sure, Cardale could win the job, but he has shown nothing to suggest at this point he can be a starter yet.

WR1: Watkins

WR2: ideally Woods (2nd FA priority behind Z. Brown), but for slightly less $ we can get D. Jackson from WAS (who has said he wants to play with Shady again), or for even more savings, Taylor's former teammate Aiken from BAL

WR3: Hunter

WR4: Powell

WR5: Listenbee

WR6: Patterson would be an upgrade, but also okay with retaining Tate

WR7: Easley (depending on if he is valuable enough to make the final 53)

Kamar Aiken be on my UFA radar as a number 2 could be a cheap alternative if Woods gets a fat contract. As he has size and had shown he can produce if given playing time.I also bring back Hunter and Tate for depth and draft a WR with one of our top 3 picks.

Taking another WR with a top 10 pick when we have a QB who can't throw is bonkers.

That's how you keep the drought going.

Taking aWR helps short term and long term if Sammy can't stay healthy we need someone to step in the number 1 role. Edited by The Jokeman

Kamar Aiken be on my UFA radar as a number 2 could be a cheap alternative if Woods gets a fat contract. As he has size and had shown he can produce if given playing time.I also bring back Hunter and Tate for depth and draft a WR with one of our top 3 picks.

Taking aWR helps short term and long term if Sammy can't stay healthy we need someone to step in the number 1 role.

A new WR will get 4-5 targets a game. It's a total waste.

Weird, Sammy was one of the most productive WRs in the NFL last year when he got healthy for the final 9 games. Odd that contradicts your biased logic on TT here.

Sammy saw the 54th most targets in the NFL in 2015. He had less targets than Danny Woodhead.

As the Seattle game showed the difference between winning and losing often is one or two plays. Hell you can say same thing about the Super Bowl.

That was the Seattle game where we had a second round pick go off at WR, right?

No need to use #10 for that. Get someone who impacts the game more than 5 plays per game.