What Effect Does the WNY Economic Climate Have?

Alaska Darin

As the tax situation gets worse and the area continues to decay, how will this affect the recruiting of prime players?  Will the team have to up their offers to compensate? 

Thoughts?

255849[/snapback]

I could see that happening.

Agent X- "My client would like to sign with you, but if he signed in Florida (with no state income tax) he would receive more money if the contracts were identical."

The real question- will the declining population of WNY even be able to support an NFL team in the future?

As the tax situation gets worse and the area continues to decay, how will this affect the recruiting of prime players?  Will the team have to up their offers to compensate? 

Thoughts?

255849[/snapback]

I would think it would have somewhat of an effect, but not as much as something like being a contender. If you think about it, the contracts are for an average of 3 to 4 years. The players probably figure they aren't going to retire here, so things like taxes are one of the lower items of importance for their decision.

Thoughts?

255849[/snapback]

In the beginning of their careers, it might be more of an issue since money plays a larger role in their decision. As their career goes on, they will look more towards opportunity (starting time vs. bench time, contender vs. bottom feeder, etc) in which case the money is not as big of a deal.

As the tax situation gets worse and the area continues to decay, how will this affect the recruiting of prime players? Will the team have to up their offers to compensate?

Thoughts?

Tax situation??? What do you mean? Personal income tax increase, I know of none.(A item to watch tomorrow will be the bill to raise funds for a new stadium in Indy, it includes a 2% tax on players salaries) Property taxes might/will rise next year, but housing cost is cheap. Players will play whereever the $$$$ is.

A side note there is money in WNY. One subdivision in O.P, Birdsong, which is across the street from the new slum of O.P. Ego Heights, had 12 houses built in January at an average cost of $417,000 per house.

I don't think a big $$ athlete will worry about the extra 2K he has to pay in property taxes when he can buy a 200K-300K house that would cost 3-4 times that in most other parts of the country.

It's still cheap to live here, when everything is figured in.

Thoughts?

255849[/snapback]

I think that it will matter to a degree. If anything, it makes the player draft more important to a team like the Bills than perhaps the Falcons.

The climate is also a negative factor, yet Takeo rolled right into town and he played college ball at Auburn, right?

Imo, a good GM will be able to handle it unless the reigon just collapses. Is this even close to happening? :lol:

From what I have seen in Amherst and Williamsville, it looks very nice.

I would contemplate moving there. My wife would not, and she wins. :doh:

I don't think a big $$ athlete will worry about the extra 2K he has to pay in property taxes when he can buy a 200K-300K house that would cost 3-4 times that in most other parts of the country.

256026[/snapback]

I would tend to agree with this thinking. In fact, a counterargument could easily be that some guys may want to play in Buffalo because (a) we're clearly doing what we can to make a run, unlike Arizona or Cleveland, and (b) we're certain to get some primetime games next year...two, maybe three...and something tells me athletes like to be on primetime.

256026[/snapback]

I am not sure. Have you checked real estate prices in places like Florida

and Texas....Housing prices are about 70% of wht you pay in NE cities

like Buffalo and PIttsburgh.

Advise your client to live in Florida, Texas or Nevada. NYS itself is a huge tax trap but cost of living in Buffalo is very low. Come here to the Boston area and pay 900K for anything remotely new. I don't think it will be a factor considering so many of the other places NYC, New England, San Fran, etc are VERY expensive and much more so than Buffalo. But if it comes down to a bidding war against Buffalo or any NY team for that matter against the Texans or Cowboys or on of the three Florida teams that could be a problem. Your talking hundreds of thousands of dollar more in taxes. I love NY.

I would tend to agree with this thinking. In fact, a counterargument could easily be that some guys may want to play in Buffalo because (a) we're clearly doing what we can to make a run, unlike Arizona or Cleveland, and (b) we're certain to get some primetime games next year...two, maybe three...and something tells me athletes like to be on primetime.

Talking about "prime look at me time" It would be a plus for a NFL player with no competition from players of the NBA, Baseball, Soccer, Movie Stars like Fabio, or other high profile type people.

No, I don't think they will. I'd live in Alaska if some one offered to pay me 2-3 million per year for 3 or 4 years. Yeah, so what the taxes are high. I know if i live there my children will go to some of the best public schools in the country and I won't have to foot an additional bill to send them to private school. But, if I want to I still could afford to because I'm making a killing anyways.

As much as I dislike paying $4400.00 per year between school and real estate taxes at least I know my children are getting a good education. And they only have 15 people in the classroom with them.

Maybe I'll move later on, but for right now I'm content.

Advise your client to live in Florida, Texas or Nevada.  NYS itself is a huge tax trap but cost of living in Buffalo is very low.  Come here to the Boston area and pay 900K for anything remotely new.  I don't think it will be a factor considering so many of the other places NYC, New England, San Fran, etc  are VERY expensive and much more so than Buffalo.  But if it comes down to a bidding war against Buffalo or any NY team for that matter against the Texans or Cowboys or on of the three Florida teams that could be a problem.  Your talking hundreds of thousands of dollar more in taxes.  I love NY.

256100[/snapback]

I always wondered what the tax implications looked like for American citizens players of hockey, MLB who play for Canandian franchises. Some day I'll look it up. :doh:

There are still 951,000 people living in Erie County. The Erie County Budget is over $1.1 BILLION for 2005. They have to cut $130 million worth of unnecessary fat from the government and the politicians are all either stupid or making a big spectacle of the whole thing just so they will not have to trim down the governement and their paychecks . It's not all doom and gloom as some make it out to be. True, Property taxes are 42% higher in Erie County than the National average. The cost of living is lower but the taxes are still high. Not much different than anywhere else in the country.

You can't get much worse than NYC-extra city taxes, housing is super expensive all over etc & the teams are still able to get quality free agents.  It also doesn't seem to hurt the California teams.

256082[/snapback]

But bigtime athletes in NYC get big endorsement deals and there is tremendous nightlife and alot of stuff there is comped for them.

Good enough? I guess, thats why I asked if you been here. But you left so your vote dont count.

256192[/snapback]

It don't? :doh:

I'm not concerned about my vote counting in NYS because unless things make some kind of remarkable turnaround, I'll never live there again.

I'll never live there again.

Were all heartbroken, just kiddin, but on a serious note I'm half and half confident that things may start to look up as soon as we get a new local government, mainly mayor and county exect. Small steps are in progress now, a nice step forward I've noticed is that the newly re-introduced homicide squad is startin to arrest murderers, in the past 10 years only 30% (that might be a highball) of our murders got solved, since the first of the year they caught 4 or 5 out of 6 or 7 killers. I know this has nothing to do with your thread, sorry.

I'll never live there again.

Were all heartbroken, just kiddin, but on a serious note I'm half and half confident that things may start to look up as soon as we get a new local government, mainly mayor and county exect. Small steps are in progress now, a nice step forward I've noticed is that the newly re-introduced homicide squad is startin to arrest murderers, in the past 10 years only 30% (that might be a highball) of our murders got solved, since the first of the year they caught 4 or 5 out of 6 or 7 killers. I know this has nothing to do with your thread, sorry.

256210[/snapback]

No offense taken (as if I'd care, anyway :doh: ). There is simply to much government in NY and it has virtually killed th business climate. You know they're in trouble when the best possible thing on the horizon is a possible Bass Pro where the CUSTOMERS will have to pay $6.00 just to park their cars. Ridiculous.

For whatever reason, NYS has the attitude that it's going to tax its way to prosperity. That's never been a very good plan.