Anybody been to the Cowboys message boards?

whiteboy

Has anyone bothered to check out any of the Cowboys message boards? I wonder what the general reaction to signing Drew is?

I haven't had the opportunity to check them out but I would guess most would at least think it's an upgrade to Vinny?

Has anyone bothered to check out any of the Cowboys message boards?  I wonder what the general reaction to signing Drew is? 

I haven't had the opportunity to check them out but I would guess most would at least think it's an upgrade to Vinny?

255744[/snapback]

Jaws was on local radio last Friday. He said that Bledsoe is the prototypical NFL QB, and he can 'still make all the throws.' Someone should inform Jaws that what was prototypical 5-10 years ago is now obsolete. I guess it's OK to be a statue as long as you can 'make all the throws.'

He also trashed the Bills O-line...wait until DB takes a few snaps behind the pukes line. Unless there is a major overhaul he won't last through week 5.

Talked about how DB hasn't been the same since PP left. He needs targets to throw to etc. If I had to guess I would say that Jaws was saying what the pukes wanted to hear.

What was really missing from Beldsoe last year was that "ignite in the belly"

feel he had when he played the first game for us Vs the Jets. DB went back

into the game after getting some part of his chin stitched up. It showed his

commitment to excel and win. Sadly I couldn't see that in Drew last year.

Especially the game against the Steelers, he looked so flat and unfocussed,

having no spirit to rally the team around him.

Jaws was on local radio last Friday.  He said that Bledsoe is the prototypical NFL QB, and he can 'still make all the throws.'  Someone should inform Jaws that what was prototypical 5-10 years ago is now obsolete.  I guess it's OK to be a statue as long as you can 'make all the throws.'   

He also trashed the Bills O-line...wait until DB takes a few snaps behind the pukes line.  Unless there is a major overhaul he won't last through week 5.

Talked about how DB hasn't been the same since PP left.  He needs targets to throw to etc.  If I had to guess I would say that Jaws was saying what the pukes wanted to hear.

255971[/snapback]

i think the cowboys line is probably more solid than the bills line across the board. not great, but not as many question marks/weak links. allen remains at least a solid player, adams is pretty good, the center is solid. gurode isn't as good as people expected (he was drafted awfully high for a guard), but i'm guessing he's not terrible. forgot who the RT is, but that's not hard a position to address (and the cowboys already stated they'd do this). they have a way better TE than the bills have had in eons, and the receiving corps is roughly equal (maybe slightly worse) to the bills when healthy.

All of the Cowboys fans I know personally are all happy about it. Suckers... :doh:

255990[/snapback]

they probably should be - i have every expectation that bledsoe will be at least moderately decent next year. and that's better than what they had the last few seasons. one thing people forget about DB is that for all of his flaws, he's essentially lost nothing -- he's genuinely exactly the same player as he was when he came into the league physically. he was immobile in 1993 and had a great arm, and you can say the same thing about him now.

Jaws was on local radio last Friday.  He said that Bledsoe is the prototypical NFL QB, and he can 'still make all the throws.'  Someone should inform Jaws that what was prototypical 5-10 years ago is now obsolete.  I guess it's OK to be a statue as long as you can 'make all the throws.'   

He also trashed the Bills O-line...wait until DB takes a few snaps behind the pukes line.  Unless there is a major overhaul he won't last through week 5.

Talked about how DB hasn't been the same since PP left.  He needs targets to throw to etc.  If I had to guess I would say that Jaws was saying what the pukes wanted to hear.

255971[/snapback]

Jaworski is inconsistent. He couldn't say enough positives about Losman when we drafted him 10 months ago. I DEFINITELY remember him saying he'd be starting by 2005. Now he's waxing nostalgic about Bledsoe ? Talk about playing to an audience.

Oh well, there was lots of toxins in Lackawanna where he grew up. :doh:

255971[/snapback]

By prototypical, I'm guessing that you and Jaws mean a pocket QB. And if that's the case, there are several successful pocket QBs in the league right now, including Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, and Green. A guy's ability to sidestep the rush in the pocket does make him a scrambling or rollout QB.

Bledsoe was a pocket QB with increasingly slow feet and progressively bad decision making. There's nothing prototypical about that.

And you wonder why you attract enemies... :doh:  :lol:

256016[/snapback]

I raised a question, why should I make enemies or attract attacks...or am I only allowed to spout the Converntional Wisdom that Bledsoe sucks and it does not matter what team he plays for.

The more things change the more they stay the same....

255992[/snapback]

To be honest with you, I thought Drew played "Too Careful" this past year. Almost like he was afraid of making the big mistakes.

255992[/snapback]

Not to mention that he never lived in Buffalo in the offseason. Bledsoe's about as old school as it gets. He still thinks he can come in and out all year like the other position players, while new school guys like Brady and Losman are willing to do their homework year round. Bledsoe reached a plateau then it's as if he said that's it...I know everything I need to know, I'm going back to Montana, see you in August. That's not good enough to cut it in today's NFL.

By prototypical, I'm guessing that you and Jaws mean a pocket QB. And if that's the case, there are several successful pocket QBs in the league right now, including Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, and Green. A guy's ability to sidestep the rush in the pocket does make him a scrambling or rollout QB.

Bledsoe was a pocket QB with increasingly slow feet and progressively bad decision making. There's nothing prototypical about that.

I agree. In most instances, when the prototypical pocket QB played a critical game vs an out of the pocket QB, the pocket QB won.

Part of that is the role of THE OFFENSIVE LINE and the importance assigned to it. If Bledsoe has success in Dallas (Big If), it will be Parcells' priority to have a roadgrader O-Line.

Jaworski is inconsistent. He couldn't say enough positives about Losman when we drafted him 10 months ago. I DEFINITELY remember him saying he'd be starting by 2005. Now he's waxing nostalgic about Bledsoe ? Talk about playing to an audience.

Oh well, there was lots of toxins in Lackawanna where he grew up.  :doh:

256005[/snapback]

That's the way I heard it too. He was on in Dallas so he said what people here want to think. I do think he will have a little more success next year, but only because Parcells will kick the stojan out of him each and every day, about every little thing. I don't think he will be deciding too many coin flips on his own any more.

I agree. In most instances, when the prototypical pocket QB played a critical game vs an out of the pocket QB, the pocket QB won.

Part of that is the role of THE OFFENSIVE LINE and the importance assigned to it. If Bledsoe has success in Dallas (Big If), it will be Parcells' priority to have a roadgrader O-Line.

256035[/snapback]

No line is going to be able to protect their QB 100% of the time, so to me it's more of a question of what will happen when the protection breaks down.

Guys who can sidestep the rush buy an extra second or two. Last year, too many times, Bledsoe coughed up the ball when the blocking broke down, making a bad situation worse.

If that continues to happen to him in Dallas, Parcells will self-combust on the sideline.

i think the cowboys line is probably more solid than the bills line across the board. not great, but not as many question marks/weak links. allen remains at least a solid player, adams is pretty good, the center is solid.  gurode isn't as good as people expected (he was drafted awfully high for a guard), but i'm guessing he's not terrible. forgot who the RT is, but that's not hard a position to address (and the cowboys already stated they'd do this).  they have a way better TE than the bills have had in eons, and the receiving corps is roughly equal (maybe slightly worse) to the bills when healthy.

255996[/snapback]

Tight End no question, they beat us hands down. Other offensive weapons though we have the nod. WR-our combo beats Glen and Johnson. RB--I like what I saw from WM. O-line I would lean towards the good guys. Tuna will protect his team's weaknessess better than most. He'll run the ball and try to win 7-6 because he knows DB can't carry a team. Trouble is their defense really sucked last year. If they don't upgrade on that side of the ball it will be a long year. Lots of noise that the boys will make a FA splash early and often. Time will tell.

Given the overall weakness of the NFC and that Parcells made the playoffs with Quincy Carter as his QB, would it really suprise anybody that a Bledsoe lead Cowboys makes the playoffs?

256010[/snapback]

Might not be so fast....Even though the NFC is worse than the AFC I think

there are still better teams than the cowboys...Eagles will still dominate NFCE.

Gibbs is in his 2nd year of rebuilding and he had the #1 defense in the NFC

last year. His offense will only get better. The Giants will be rebuilding for

a few more years...However Atlanta, Minnesota, Carolina, Green Bay will

all be better than Dallas.

Everyone keeps comparing our O with Dallas O and saying how they are

better. Everyone has forgotten that the cowboys couldn't stop the run nor

rush the passer and were way down on D and STs which are supposed to

tbe the forte for Parcells.. We won many of games here because of our

D and ST providing short field positions (plus they combined had 11 TDs

returned last year, #1 in the NFL).

No line is going to be able to protect their QB 100% of the time, so to me it's more of a question of what will happen when the protection breaks down.

Guys who can sidestep the rush buy an extra second or two. Last year, too many times, Bledsoe coughed up the ball when the blocking broke down, making a bad situation worse.

If that continues to happen to him in Dallas, Parcells will self-combust on the sideline.

There WERE times, though, when DB stepped up and made throws. I'd suggest you watch the Seahawks, Browns, and 49'ers wins again, as I just did. I'm not saying DB will resurrect the Cowpersons, but a line like he had for the last 11 weeks of the season (excluding the PGH game) and a weak division will help him.

255971[/snapback]

I think the whole the prototypical QB has changed stuff is overblown. Most the best QBs are still the classic drop back and pass QB. Bledsoe's failings deal with not be able to make decisions right, not being able to feel the rush, and not being able to hit the short passes.

If being able to scramble is so good, why did Rob Johnson constantly get sacked. He was extremely athletic and would often get big gains running. He is not the only so-called mobile QB that had problems with the rush.

There WERE times, though, when DB stepped up and made throws. I'd suggest you watch the Seahawks, Browns, and 49'ers wins again, as I just did. I'm not saying DB will resurrect the Cowpersons, but a line like he had for the last 11 weeks of the season (excluding the PGH game) and a weak division will help him.

256055[/snapback]

I agree. Let's not go too overboard throwing dirt on this guy's grave. The Bills were 9-7 with him this year, capable of beating 75% of the teams in the league.

Bledsoe has severe limitations though, and good coaches and good teams can expoit those limitations. It's no coincidence that the Pats, Steelers, and Ravens all returned Bledsoe turnovers for TDs this season.

Donahoe and Mularkey could have kept him and skated by winning 8 or 9 games a season, while stomaching massacres at the hands of the better teams in the league until Drew retired.

Credit them for wanting more.

The Cowboys will probably realize the same thing when Drew faces the Eagle and Redskin defenses four times next year.

I agree. Let's not go too overboard throwing dirt on this guy's grave.  The Bills were 9-7 with him this year, capable of beating 75% of the teams in the league.

Bledsoe has severe limitations though, and good coaches and good teams can expoit those limitations.  It's no coincidence that the Pats, Steelers, and Ravens all returned Bledsoe turnovers for TDs this season.

Donahoe and Mularkey could have kept him and skated by winning 8 or 9 games a season, while stomaching massacres at the hands of the better teams in the league until Drew retired.

The Cowboys will probably realize the same thing when Drew faces the Eagle and Redskin defenses four times next year.

256079[/snapback]

great post - dead on. whether jp is the answer is anyone's guess, but the move needed to be made. i still wouldn't be surprised if the cowboys make the playoffs next year, however ...

What many in this thread seem to forget is that Drew played in Buffalo for 3 years. For 2 of those years, his headcoach was a boob. For the other, his headcoach was a rookie.

Now, he is going to a team that is coached by an all time great. He is SO great, that he defeated the best coach we ever had in a superbowl, with an inferior team to boot.

Add to this the fact that Drew is now in a weaker conference/division, and perhaps one could see a reason for optimism for cowboy fans.....that is IF you can get past the hate.

Last year, too many times, Bledsoe coughed up the ball when the blocking broke down, making a bad situation worse.

And yet DB only fumbled two more times than Brady or Breese did... He fumbled less than David Carr did. By reading the posts here, you'd think every other play was a fumble.

CW

Not to mention that he never lived in Buffalo in the offseason. Bledsoe's about as old school as it gets. He still thinks he can come in and out all year like the other position players, while new school guys like Brady and Losman are willing to do their homework year round. Bledsoe reached a plateau then it's as if he said that's it...I know everything I need to know, I'm going back to Montana, see you in August. That's not good enough to cut it in today's NFL.

256032[/snapback]

This is so overrated, it isn't even funny. I'd venture to guess that 80% of the players don't live in the same city as their team and it's ridiculous to point at that as a problem. DB never missed any of the optional camps, none of the required camps. He can study film and such in Montana and nobody here has any idea of whether he did that or not. However, you don't stay in the NFL for 12 years by slacking off. Just another example of people looking for any negative they can, kinda like the "he fumbles all the time" (untrue) and "He's sacked every other play" (untrue).

CW

What many in this thread seem to forget is that Drew played in Buffalo for 3 years. For 2 of those years, his headcoach was a boob. For the other, his headcoach was a rookie.

Now, he is going to a team that is coached by an all time great. He is SO great, that he defeated the best coach we ever had in a superbowl, with an inferior team to boot.

Add to this the fact that Drew is now in a weaker conference/division, and perhaps one could see a reason for optimism for cowboy fans.....that is IF you can get past the hate.

256098[/snapback]

Bledsoe's a boob. BTW, I don't hate boobs. I only hate it when my QB plays like one. The time to make excuses for Bledsoe's bad play was two long seasons ago. Don't tell me JJ's press conference has you scared the Cowboys will make the Superbowl before the Bills.

Bledsoe's a boob. BTW, I don't hate boobs. I only hate it when my QB plays like one. The time to make excuses for Bledsoe's bad play was two long seasons ago. Don't tell me JJ's press conference has you scared the Cowboys will make the Superbowl before the Bills.

256108[/snapback]

Superbowl? No, I don't see either team seriously competing for the Superbowl for at least a couple of seasons. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Buffalo playing golf in January while the Cowboys are in the playoffs. :doh:

CW

I agree. Let's not go too overboard throwing dirt on this guy's grave.  The Bills were 9-7 with him this year, capable of beating 75% of the teams in the league.

Bledsoe has severe limitations though, and good coaches and good teams can expoit those limitations.  It's no coincidence that the Pats, Steelers, and Ravens all returned Bledsoe turnovers for TDs this season.

256079[/snapback]

Now this is a good post and I agree with alot that you are saying. But if the Bills defense had stopped the Jaguars in the final seconds of the game, 10-6 would have made the playoffs. So it is not all Bledsoe's fault and while the Bills are looking toward the future, the Cowboys are taking a chance to win now.

And the Browns would have signed Bledsoe if the Cowboys had not beaten them to it.

But really, TD made his decision to go with Losman and now the Bills organization have to get behind him and give the team what it needs to make the playoffs..

This is so overrated, it isn't even funny.  I'd venture to guess that 80% of the players don't live in the same city as their team and it's ridiculous to point at that as a problem.  DB never missed any of the optional camps, none of the required camps.  He can study film and such in Montana and nobody here has any idea of whether he did that or not.  However, you don't stay in the NFL for 12 years by slacking off.  Just another example of people looking for any negative they can, kinda like the "he fumbles all the time" (untrue) and "He's sacked every other play" (untrue).

CW

256106[/snapback]

Hate to burst your bubble, but Bledsoe's inability to recognize blitzing scemes, hit his receiver in the flat and his penchant for inexplicably throwing to opposing linebackers deep in the middle of the field had something to do with the fact that he was a part time QB at One Bills Drive. Maybe being just good enough is ok for you and Drew, but the QB position is too important for that kind of lackluster dedication. Drew living in Montana during the offseason made about as much sense as him saying this was his team after his three turnover performance in the Steeler game.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Bledsoe's inability to recognize blitzing scemes, hit his receiver in the flat and his penchant for inexplicably throwing to opposing linebackers deep in the middle of the field had something to do with the fact that he was a part time QB at One Bills Drive. Maybe being just good enough is ok for you and Drew, but the QB position is too important for that kind of lackluster dedication. Drew living in Montana during the offseason made about as much sense as him saying this was his team after his three turnover performance in the Steeler game.

256126[/snapback]

And do you actually have proof of this? Didn't think so. I saw numerous occasions where Bledsoe tried to hit a hot read on a blitz and his receivers completely failed to adjust. Did they fail to read the blitz because they don't live in Buffalo either? Dammit Moulds, stop living in Mississippi and get your butt up to WNY.

It takes two to play pitch and catch, and it wasn't 100% Bledsoe's fault. Sure, if a QB doesn't throw the ball away on a blitz, it appears to be the QB's fault, but it's not if he has nobody to throw it to (and taking a sack is better than throwing the ball away, as that'd be a 10 yard penalty as opposed to just lost yardsage).

I'm not saying that every one of the sacks was the fault of the receivers, but a sizable chunk of them appeared to be from watching the games. To pin the blame 100% on the QB is crazy.

CW

Now this is a good post and I agree with alot that you are saying.  But if the Bills defense had stopped the Jaguars in the final seconds of the game, 10-6 would have made the playoffs.  So it is not all Bledsoe's fault and while the Bills are looking toward the future, the Cowboys are taking a chance to win now.

And the Browns would have signed Bledsoe if the Cowboys had not beaten them to it.

But really, TD made his decision to go with Losman and now the Bills organization have to get behind him and give the team what it needs to make the playoffs..

256125[/snapback]

Dude, this was probably your best post ever on TSW. Good work!

PS: What was the Bills record with Travis Henry as a starter for those same 3 years.....yet posters propose trades such as Henry for Gallery!

And do you actually have proof of this?  Didn't think so.  I saw numerous occasions where Bledsoe tried to hit a hot read on a blitz and his receivers completely failed to adjust.  Did they fail to read the blitz because they don't live in Buffalo either?  Dammit Moulds, stop living in Mississippi and get your butt up to WNY.

It takes two to play pitch and catch, and it wasn't 100% Bledsoe's fault.  Sure, if a QB doesn't throw the ball away on a blitz, it appears to be the QB's fault, but it's not if he has nobody to throw it to (and taking a sack is better than throwing the ball away, as that'd be a 10 yard penalty as opposed to just lost yardsage).

I'm not saying that every one of the sacks was the fault of the receivers, but a sizable chunk of them appeared to be from watching the games.  To pin the blame 100% on the QB is crazy.

CW

256132[/snapback]

I didn't say 100%. I think it was 90% Bledsoe's fault. He plays like a QB with a million dollar arm, two cent head all the while wearing lead socks.

It was a matter of time. The poster went against the party line. Surely more slams will follow.

Hey, I once proposed a trade....Henry for Fiedler and got more than 50 responses, and most of them were personal insults, before a moderator was kind enough to delete the entire thread.

The next day, the vulchers were still out, with snide, superior comments.

I love the idea of a kinder board, but it will take a TON of work imo.

256143[/snapback]

I ask a fan if he's stupid because he proposes that Buffalo is in rebuilding mode while Dallas is a win now team and this has somehow been painted as a slam? If this is cruel and unusual punishment then we're all turning into a bunch of shrinking violets here.