Go on record! Which 2017 QB will have the best career?

FireChan

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB will have the best career?

• DeShone Kizer, ND
    • Mitch Trubisky, NC
    • Pat Mahomes, Texas Tech
    • Deshaun Watson, Clemson
    • Davis Webb, Cal
    • Jerod Evans, VT
    • Brad Kaaya, Miami
    • Chad Kelly, Ole Miss
    • Other (write in)

Watson

At this point a lot of the criticisms feel like a combination of classic cases: he's the guy whose been in the spotlight the longest so people pick the most nits on him, he's the National Championship winning QB and it's a bad thing because other national championship winning QBs haven't panned out, and I hate to go there, but judging by the comments of some people, there's a little bit of the race card aka "athletic QB" bias coming into the picture.

Trubinsky feels like a classic case of "looking the part" combined with the intrigue of the unknown. Historically college playing time is a huge indicator of NFL success and Trubinksy just isn't there, not to mention he looked downright brutal in some pivotal moments this year.

Kizer is intriguing because of his athletic gifts, but if you watched ND last year he got bailed out by Fuller and Prosise a ton, both of which have proven their chops at the NFL level. This play fell off dramatically this year when he didn't have those guys.

Mahommes is also intriguing due to his arm talent and I do think he may be the guy most likely to end up in the best situation, giving him the best chance of success. He's my second pick.

Chad Kelly won't make it to contract #2. Mahommes is clearly better than Davis Webb, hence why Webb had to transfer and Kaaya has always been unfulfilled hype.

Not true my friend. He had a young receiving group outside of Tori Hunter and the play of that group fell off dramatically. He was also without one of the better TE's in the country last year in Alize Jones. He had AT LEAST 20 well thrown passes that were drops, but I would lean to saying even more than that. That alone, 20 more completions, would bring his percentage up to 64%. He didn't suffer from Fuller and Prosise not being there to bail him out. Hell, Prosise didn't even play in 4 of their games last year and he was a RB who averaged under 3 catches per game. Fuller is also known to drop some passes as well. He's a shade better receiving option than Ted Ginn. The maturity, experience, and knowledge of the offense from the group in 2015 was much better overall though. They were all upper classmen. The guys this year were a lot younger and less experienced. You may be right about Watson, but your assessment of Kizer is not correct.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true my friend. He had a young receiving group outside of Tori Hunter and the play of that group fell off dramatically. He was also without one of the better TE's in the country last year in Alize Jones. He had AT LEAST 20 well thrown passes that were drops, but I would lean to saying even more than that. That alone, 20 more completions, would bring his percentage up to 64%. He didn't suffer from Fuller and Prosise not being there to bail him out. Hell, Prosise didn't even play in 4 of their games last year and he was a RB who averaged under 3 catches per game. Fuller is also known to drop some passes as well. He's a shade better receiving option than Ted Ginn. The maturity, experience, and knowledge of the offense from the group in 2015 was much better overall though. They were all upper classmen. The guys this year were a lot younger and less experienced. You may be right about Watson, but your assessment of Kizer is not correct.

Almost half of Kizer's yards went to Fuller & Prosise in 2015. Prosise missed 3 games, 2 were losses to Stanford and OSU and the other was Wake Forest, which given the competition was likely Kizer's worst game of the year. Prosise had a 6 game stretch where he nearly averaged 140 ypg and that's with a 50 yard game in a loss against Clemson. I don't know how you can say he didn't miss those 2 guys, then blame everything on his receivers this year. You could just as easily say his numbers were inflated a bit this year because their defense was soo bad they were constantly playing catchup.

I think Kizer certainly has a chance to succeed, he has all the physical tools, but I'm not the only one who wasn't thrilled with his season this year and it's not all on his young WRs.

I'm not qualified to make this assessment; the only two on this list I've seen a good deal of are Trubisky and Watson. I watched nearly every throw Trubisky made, and I think he has a very high "floor" because he's a big guy who can make all the throws, seems smart, and has some mobility while not being characterized as a "running" QB. Very accurate. He did operate out of a QB-friendly spread offense so it remains to be seen how he transtitions to the NFL sets. I was disappointed in a couple of 2nd half decisions he made in their bowl game this year; threw an awful pick six on a late out route and also took a bad sack on 3rd down to move them out of FG range in a one-score game. But -- he also led a 99-yard TD drive to potentially tie the score with under 2:00 to go.

I agree with those who have said you really need to see where these guys are drafted -- it will have a huge impact.

Almost half of Kizer's yards went to Fuller & Prosise in 2015. Prosise missed 3 games, 2 were losses to Stanford and OSU and the other was Wake Forest, which given the competition was likely Kizer's worst game of the year. Prosise had a 6 game stretch where he nearly averaged 140 ypg and that's with a 50 yard game in a loss against Clemson. I don't know how you can say he didn't miss those 2 guys, then blame everything on his receivers this year. You could just as easily say his numbers were inflated a bit this year because their defense was soo bad they were constantly playing catchup.

I think Kizer certainly has a chance to succeed, he has all the physical tools, but I'm not the only one who wasn't thrilled with his season this year and it's not all on his young WRs.

Fuller and Prosise were almost half of his yards, yes, but he threw for MORE yards this year (2016) than the last though (2015). The amount of completions were near the same, one more this year with 212 than last year with 211 so you can't say his numbers were inflated. This year he had a BETTER TD to INT ratio than the year before. Now factor in the inexperience of the receiving group, the amount of drops I saw with my own eyes watching every game as an ND fan, and you have an even better QB who was dealing with an inexperienced group around him. Josh Adams, Dexter Williams, and Tarean Folston combined for over 1500 yards on the ground between them which isn't too bad as far as trying to create a balance. On top of an inexperienced receiving group he also dealt with far worse offensive line play this year. For all of the 4 and 5 star recruits Kelly gets on the OL he doesn't get them prepared to play it seems. This whole season was bad to watch, but Deshone was clearly one of the bright spots and did the right thing by leaving Brian Kelly. And Prosise did miss 3 games in 2015, my fault.