Bucs prefer opposite approach to Bills at QB

RJsackedagain

He called out Buffalo by name and mocked how they're handeling the QB position here. Don't pretend it was anything less than a direct slam.

255787[/snapback]

There was absolutely no lead-in to the comment.

It could be that some annoying local sports jerk may have asked, " Why aren't we going with the young guy like they are in Buffalo?" No coach wants to be known as a copycat coach, particularly with the ego Chucky has and thus the reply. In my mind it makes it less of a zing at the Bills.

For example, my penis is named after the guy in your avatar. Chances are you didn't expect to hear that today, right?

255845[/snapback]

Wow. After hearing that I'm gonna need more of that Kool-Aid. Pass the spiked Punch over here!

I just gotta ask, what kind of kool-aid is 80% of this board drinking? Sure I'm not at practice everyday or at mini-camp, but J.P. isn't that good at this point in his career. It will be a very rough season to be a Bills fan unless our running game is soooooooooooo good we won't have to rely on JP. If we do, don't count on playoffs, don't count on a winning season either.

255520[/snapback]

Do not expect many positive replies. The majority here literally hate Drew and give him ALL of the blame for the failures of the Bills, and for that matter, zero credit for 9 wins in 05. They also have JP penciled in for Canton. That to most here is a done deal.

For the record, I support the coaches decision to make the switch. That said, I accept the possibility that JP will suck. All I am asking for is a legit backup. You will find that many here see no need for this, despite the fact that JP has ZERO experience, and was almost killed while brushing up against a defensive back.

I don't think either argument is right or wrong.

Last year both Eli Manning and Ben Rothelisberger got to start not because

they earned the spot, but the team injuries and team approach dictated that

they start the games and gain experience. Same thing happened to

Palmer in Cinci. It is not Palmer beat out the incumbent Kitna, but

being a 1st round pick forces team to test the player and see what he can

do.

In fact past history has shown more people doing the Bills way rather than

what Chucky is propagating.

"We don't give guys starting jobs here just because Buffalo is giving their guy [J.P. Losman] their job," Gruden told the two Tampa-area papers. "Chris Simms has to earn that right. He has to earn the right to be a starter. He hasn't done that yet.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/28/Bucs/Buc...ontract_t.shtml

255482[/snapback]

Gruden is a clown, how has that QB been playing for ya, Chucky? How far did he take ya last year?

Bite me, and wipe that smirk off your face before I beat it off!!

Chris Simms is not now and will never be JP Losman.

And Brad Johnson was worse than Drew.

Hes not in a position of luxury with a young talented QB, he should train his mouth to say something like, "We need to see that Chris is actually worthy of starting as far as talent goes before we will play him". We apparently have already seen ebough with JP.

He can blame himself for his poor QB choices not us for making good ones and having very good options this year.

Do not expect many positive replies. The majority here literally hate Drew and give him ALL of the blame for the failures of the Bills, and for that matter, zero credit for 9 wins in 05. They also have JP penciled in for Canton. That to most here is a done deal.

For the record, I support the coaches decision to make the switch. That said, I accept the possibility that JP will suck. All I am asking for is a legit backup. You will find that many here see no need for this, despite the fact that JP has ZERO experience, and was almost killed while brushing up against a defensive back.

256074[/snapback]

Bill, do you really think that's how most people feel on here? I definitely fall into the category of giving Drew very little of the credit for our 9 wins last year, but even though I'm very excited about JP giving it a go, I sure as HECK don't have the guy pegged for Canton. I can assure you that if he pulls a 'Bledsoe' or even fails to raise the bar, I'll be just as desirous for a change at QB as I am after three years of Drew ball.

But I think most people on here are clearly aware of the need for a solid, veteran backup with some measure of success on his resume. I, for one, would be much more comfortable with a Garcia or Fiedler behind JP than I am a Matthews.

256074[/snapback]

No way I have JP penciled in for Canton. I put it down in indelible ink.

Dallas will be known as the team that traded away JP, just like Atlanta is known as the team that traded Bret Favre.

I just gotta ask, what kind of kool-aid is 80% of this board drinking? Sure I'm not at practice everyday or at mini-camp, but J.P. isn't that good at this point in his career. It will be a very rough season to be a Bills fan unless our running game is soooooooooooo good we won't have to rely on JP. If we do, don't count on playoffs, don't count on a winning season either.

255520[/snapback]

Running and a stellar defense CAN win you a SuperBowl.

Just ask Trent Dilfer.

Dallas will be known as the team that traded away JP, just like Atlanta is known as the team that traded Bret Favre.

256091[/snapback]

Geesh, that would be friggin awesome. I can't imagine anything better than to one day actually see your comment validated.

No way I have JP penciled in for Canton.  I put it down in indelible ink. 

256091[/snapback]

That's like saying the Bills were the team that traded away Fred Taylor. The Cowboys were not going to take Losman with the #22 pick, they just didn't have a guy they really wanted. They would have made that same trade if the Bills wanted to take any player other than Losman, too.

Bill, do you really think that's how most people feel on here? I definitely fall into the category of giving Drew very little of the credit for our 9 wins last year, but even though I'm very excited about JP giving it a go, I sure as HECK don't have the guy pegged for Canton. I can assure you that if he pulls a 'Bledsoe' or even fails to raise the bar, I'll be just as desirous for a change at QB as I am after three years of Drew ball.

But I think most people on here are clearly aware of the need for a solid, veteran backup with some measure of success on his resume. I, for one, would be much more comfortable with a Garcia or Fiedler behind JP than I am a Matthews.

256089[/snapback]

Look, I am not looking for an angry confrontation. I want to make that clear, OK? Moreover, I truly appreciate the dialogue.

That said, I ask you to please re-read your post. "Pulls a Bledsoe?!" Drew is near the top in every vital passing category. JP was leaned on by a db and was all but killed. The odds of JP even approaching these numbers are oh so slim, but you talk of "even failing to raise the bar."!!!!

Don't you see what you are doing? Optimism is fine, but to accept it as fact is not reasonable. Ryan Leaf came into the NFL with FAR better credentials than JP. YOU see little possibility that JP will be worse than a man who has been to the superbowl twice, after his shameful, dismal debut.

Sorry, it doesn't make sense.

Look, I am not looking for an angry confrontation. I want to make that clear, OK? Moreover, I truly appreciate the dialogue.

That said, I ask you to please re-read your post. "Pulls a Bledsoe?!" Drew is near the top in every vital passing category. JP was leaned on by a db and was all but killed. The odds of JP even approaching these numbers are oh so slim, but you talk of "even failing to raise the bar."!!!!

Don't you see what you are doing? Optimism is fine, but to accept it as fact is not reasonable. Ryan Leaf came into the NFL with FAR better credentials than JP. YOU see little possibility that JP will be worse than a man who has been to the superbowl twice, after his shameful, dismal debut.

Sorry, it doesn't make sense.

256116[/snapback]

Whoa, Nellie......I was just asking you if you felt like the comments in your post above truly reflected the views of most of us on here, especially with regard to JP and the backup spot. The fact is that Drew is gone and JP is now the starter. And yeah, I think having optimism that JP will do well and improve upon what Drew did here is a good thing. But like I said, I also think JP has a lot to prove and we need a good backup.......hopefully someone with better credentials than Matthews. Didn't mean to get you all up in arms, man :doh:

I like the fact that we keep getting mentioned by other teams, even if it is in a negative way.

Most of the time I feel like the Bills could fall off the face of the earth and no one in the league (other teams and media/fans) would notice.

At least we're getting noticed.

That's like saying the Bills were the team that traded away Fred Taylor. The Cowboys were not going to take Losman with the #22 pick, they just didn't have a guy they really wanted. They would have made that same trade if the Bills wanted to take any player other than Losman, too.

256113[/snapback]

Saying the Losman trade is just like the Favre trade is absolutely ridiculous. Dallas traded the pick before a player was even taken while Favre actually suited up for a season in the ATL after being drafted by them.

256113[/snapback]

Part of my post was for humor, but where I think Dallas (Parcells) really messed up was for 2 straight years the Cowboys had a shot at getting a player at the most important position in football and decided they were content with what they had. In 2002, Byron Leftwich was available when Dallas picked, but they took a CB instead, content with Carter & Hutchinson. Last year they decided to put their future in the hands of a guy who wanted to play baseball, not football and was basically forced into going back to football because he was so bad at the game he truly loves (as were Carter & Hutchinson before him). Past history on QBs making that move shows a very poor success rate, Hutchinson should have taught them something.

Now Parcells has no confidence in Drew Henson (actions speak louder than words) and is stuck with our reject. I hope JP makes it big, but no matter what happens, Dallas has completely bungled their QB selections. If JP & Leftwich are as good as each team's organization expects out of them Dallas looks like fools for missing out on both in consecutive years.

Also, when we made the trade it was specifically for JP Losman, the same cannot be said at the time we gave Jacksonville pick 9 before the draft started.

Part of my post was for humor, but where I think Dallas (Parcells) really messed up was for 2 straight years the Cowboys had a shot at getting a player at the most important position in football and decided they were content with what they had.  In 2002, Byron Leftwich was available when Dallas picked, but they took a CB instead, content with Carter & Hutchinson.  Last year they decided to put their future in the hands of a guy who wanted to play baseball, not football and was basically forced into going back to football because he was so bad at the game he truly loves (as were Carter & Hutchinson before him).  Past history on QBs making that move shows a very poor success rate, Hutchinson should have taught them something. 

Now Parcells has no confidence in Drew Henson (actions speak louder than words) and is stuck with our reject.  I hope JP makes it big, but no matter what happens, Dallas has completely bungled their QB selections.  If JP & Leftwich are as good as each team's organization expects out of them Dallas looks like fools for missing out on both in consecutive years. 

Also, when we made the trade it was specifically for JP Losman, the same cannot be said at the time we gave Jacksonville pick 9 before the draft started.

256160[/snapback]

Yes, but the Cowboys didn't know the Bills were taking JP ----- they just sent the pick to Buffalo because the Bills met their asking price.

If we want to get real technical here you could sya the Cowboys and the rest of the league blew it by not drafting Brady ----- dude's a sixth-round draft pick and has got three Super Bowl rings: that says it all.

Yes, but the Cowboys didn't know the Bills were taking JP ----- they just sent the pick to Buffalo because the Bills met their asking price.

If we want to get real technical here you could sya the Cowboys and the rest of the league blew it by not drafting Brady ----- dude's a sixth-round draft pick and has got three Super Bowl rings: that says it all.

More like Parcells blew it by letting Belichick stiff the Jets for their head coaching job.

256283[/snapback]

I don't buy the idea Dallas didn't know who we were trading for. I knew it was Losman the second the Dallas helmet changed to a Bills helmet when I was watching the draft. If I knew it, I'm sure Dallas had it figured out because the only player that it made sense for the Bills to trade up for at that point was Losman, based on the availability of QBs the rest of the 2004 draft & the 2005 one.

The Brady analogy has no context to Dallas, who have needed a QB for years, and has bben in position to draft one in the 1st round and instead put all their eggs in Carter/Hutchinson & then Carter/Henson baskets. NE didn't think they needed one when they drafted Brady-They had just given Drew a new contract which at the time they believed committed the QB job to Drew for the forseeable future.

Chris Simms is not now and will never be JP Losman.

And Brad Johnson was worse than Drew.

I cant help it. Are you really serious. Please tell me your kidding.

See, these types of posts really make me want to, well, anyway..............

New rules of the old rules prohibits me from laughing any harder than I already have. :rolleyes:

I started a thread about this 3 weeks ago...Gruden makes a valid point

255498[/snapback]

Congratulations. You should be recognized in some formal fashion, a parade perhaps?

The Brady analogy has no context to Dallas, who have needed a QB for years, and has bben in position to draft one in the 1st round and instead put all their eggs in Carter/Hutchinson & then Carter/Henson baskets.  NE didn't think they needed one when they drafted Brady-They had just given Drew a new contract which at the time they believed committed the QB job to Drew for the forseeable future.

256331[/snapback]

Uh Dude, just because you take a QB in the first round that doesn't necessarily solve all your problems. I'm not going to waste time here listing all the bad QBs taken in the first round (Klinger, Leaf, McNown, Akil Smith, etc.), but there sure seem to be just as many hits as misses over the past half dozen years. ..... And how would you know what the Cowboys and Patriots were thinking during their drafts ----- you are assuming things without any facts.

First of all, the Bucs thought so much of Simms that they gave Brian Griese a large contract to stay their starter. Second of all, the latest word I'm hearing is that they want Jeff Garcia to be Griese's backup. That means Simms is #3. Simms is a non-factor and Gruden's words belie the fact that they don't think much of him.

Uh Dude, just because you take a QB in the first round that doesn't necessarily solve all your problems. I'm not going to waste time here listing all the bad QBs taken in the first round (Klinger, Leaf, McNown, Akil Smith, etc.), but there sure seem to be just as many hits as misses over the past half dozen years. ..... And how would you know what the Cowboys and Patriots were thinking during their drafts ----- you are assuming things without any facts.

256348[/snapback]

I have no clue what Dallas is thinking during their drafts, & I'm starting to believe that they don't either.

It was quite obvious that NE was not thinking of replacing Bledsoe with Brady or anyone else within a year or 2, because they signed Drew to a big contract. That fact is quite clear. It all changed with the hit that sidelined Drew.

I'm not sure what NFL John Gruden is working in, but that last time I checked most first round picks in the NFL are handed their jobs. You have to get a guy on the field to see what he can bring to your football team.

The difference between J.P and Simms is where they were picked. There's no real pressure to get him on the field in Tampa Bay, but the pressure to get J.P on the field is huge.

I have no clue what Dallas is thinking during their drafts, & I'm starting to believe that they don't either. 

It was quite obvious that NE was not thinking of replacing Bledsoe with Brady or anyone else within a year or 2, because they signed Drew to a big contract.  That fact is quite clear.  It all changed with the hit that sidelined Drew.

256359[/snapback]

The Pats had some sort of plan with Brady though because they carried four QBs his rookie year because they were afraid to leave him on the practice squad.

I will agree with your comments on the Cowboys' QB situation ---- that position has been musical chairs since Aikman left. I thought Buffalo was having a hard time finding a replacemtn for Kelly, but the Bills have done far better than the 'Bys.

I'm not sure what NFL John Gruden is working in, but that last time I checked most first round picks in the NFL are handed their jobs.  You have to get a guy on the field to see what he can bring to your football team.

The difference between J.P and Simms is where they were picked.  There's no real pressure to get him on the field in Tampa Bay, but the pressure to get J.P on the field is huge.

256361[/snapback]

Sims has been on the field in a real live game and not just as a mop up like JP ------ no wonder Gruden is in no rush to get him back out there!!!!!!

Okay, I know I need to let this die, but it still bothers me.

First Martz and Sherman both say they love Losman and would start him as well. Seems to me these guys might be a little better judge of QBs than Chuckie, but lets say the evaluation of GBs is even.

Got me to thinking, aren't all QBs handed their jobs. Let me explain. At some point, either because of injury or bad play, the backup QB gets to be elavated to first string and get most of the reps in practice, the game starts and all else that goes with being the starter. Lets just say the NFL had no offseason, and we were getting bready to start another season this month. If the Bills had come out and said" thats it, we are making a change at QB, , we can no longer accept this level of play at QB and based upon what we see in practice, we are going with JP "would that have been handing him the job?

"We don't give guys starting jobs here just because Buffalo is giving their guy [J.P. Losman] their job," Gruden told the two Tampa-area papers. "Chris Simms has to earn that right. He has to earn the right to be a starter. He hasn't done that yet.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/28/Bucs/Buc...ontract_t.shtml

255482[/snapback]

Hey when he said those comments did he try and look like a real tough guy? You know when you see him on the sideline with his face all sqished up to try and look as mean as possible but it really looks fake and foolish.