Bucs prefer opposite approach to Bills at QB

RJsackedagain

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2001757

With the pusuit of Garcia, the Bucs are signaling that they aren't ready to hand over the reigns to third-year quarterback Chris Simms.

"We don't give guys starting jobs here just because Buffalo is giving their guy [J.P. Losman] their job," Gruden told the two Tampa-area papers. "Chris Simms has to earn that right. He has to earn the right to be a starter. He hasn't done that yet.

Interesting.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no offense, but at least sims played in big games.  when tulane played texas with losman there, they lost to the tune of 63-0 (or something like that).

255581[/snapback]

63-0 ... is that bad?????

I don't know a whole lot about JP other than he has little NFL experience and threw one of the worst passes I have ever seen against the Patriots, but I'd take another former Tulane QB Patrick Ramsey.

Holy crap! I can't believe Gruden said that about Buffalo. This kind of head coach smack talk rarely happens, I'm shocked. To color the Bills situation as a team "giving" a player a position is completely baseless and shows Gruden is losing his grip in Tampa. Bledsoe defaulted the position to a first round QB pickup last season. Every organization knows that when you spend a first round pick on a QB the clock is running and you must let him play to see if he was the right choice. Simms was a third round choice so he sits his butt on the bench till he proves otherwise. Losman was a much better prospect since he was going in the first round whether it was the Bills, or another team that pulled the trigger. That comment was classless, Gruden is done down there anyways. See ya pieface.

255527[/snapback]

Dont we play TB this year?

Didn't he often get benched for Major Applewhite during his career? Maybe my memory is getting hazy...

255551[/snapback]

Your memory is fine! Kind of like the RJ/Flutie days in Buffalo, Simms was given every opportunity to succeed, even when it hadn't been earned. He failed miserably each and every time. Oh sure, he would have a big game every year, against some hapless team like Baylor, but any success they had, durig those years, from the QB position, was because of Applewhite. Major Applewhite (now the QB coach at Syracuse!), like Flutie, didn't have any of the things you typically look for in a QB, but he just knew how to win, and had a flare for the dramatics on the field. Unlike Flutie, Major was not a major jerk!

I'm just annoyed that we seem to be getting called out this offseason for no real reason. First Jerry Jones says "Buffalo's loss is our gain and we think we'll get to the Super Bowl before they do" and now Gruden says he's not going to "give" Simms the job just because Buffalo "gave" Losman the job. Did I miss some big press conference where Donahoe and/or Mularkey specifically called out other organizations for their personnel decisions? Jones and Gruden ought to mind their own damn business. :blink:

I'm just annoyed that we seem to be getting called out this offseason for no real reason.  First Jerry Jones says "Buffalo's loss is our gain and we think we'll get to the Super Bowl before they do" and now Gruden says he's not going to "give" Simms the job just because Buffalo "gave" Losman the job.  Did I miss some big press conference where Donahoe and/or Mularkey specifically called out other organizations for their personnel decisions?  Jones and Gruden ought to mind their own damn business.  :blink:

255697[/snapback]

There is that thin Buffalo skin we all know so well! :blink: Seriously, who gives a crap what Jerry Jones or John Gruden have to say about our QB situation?

I'm just annoyed that we seem to be getting called out this offseason for no real reason.  First Jerry Jones says "Buffalo's loss is our gain and we think we'll get to the Super Bowl before they do" and now Gruden says he's not going to "give" Simms the job just because Buffalo "gave" Losman the job.  Did I miss some big press conference where Donahoe and/or Mularkey specifically called out other organizations for their personnel decisions?  Jones and Gruden ought to mind their own damn business.  :blink:

255697[/snapback]

There is a reason, actually. The reason is simple, Tampa and Dallas are two teams heading downward, with high-profile head coaches who are not working out as planned. Buffalo, on the other hand, has an up-and-and-comer coach who is making aggressive moves, the kind of moves these teams were once known for.

Tampa and Dallas are just trying to lash back by ripping on they type of young, up and coming team that they used to be, and still want people to think they are.

Chucky already tried Simms as a starter and the experiment didn't look very good. That's probably the biggest reason he's waffling on what he's going to do. He's pretty much run that team in to the ground since arriving, regardless of the Championship he presided over (that Monte Kiffin actually won).

I don't take comments like that as slams against Buffalo at all. It's just a coach manipulating the press and players to get the most out of his team for his own benefit. Gruden saw an opportunity to use what is going on somewhere else in the NFL to play mind games with and motivate his own players, which is what all coaches do and should do. He wants the competition on his team because that is the position he is in with two quarterbacks he's really not sure can win for him. The Bills are in a completely different position and their coaches are trying to manipulate the local press and their own players by showing they have unwavering confidence in JP to get it done. It makes sense and isn't meant to say we do things better here in Tampa than they do in Buffalo.

I don't take comments like that as slams against Buffalo at all. It's just a coach manipulating the press and players to get the most out of his team for his own benefit. Gruden saw an opportunity to use what is going on somewhere else in the NFL to play mind games with and motivate his own players, which is what all coaches do and should do. He wants the competition on his team because that is the position he is in with two quarterbacks he's really not sure can win for him. The Bills are in a completely different position and their coaches are trying to manipulate the local press and their own players by showing they have unwavering confidence in JP to get it done. It makes sense and isn't meant to say we do things better here in Tampa than they do in Buffalo.

255723[/snapback]

I agree. They are thinking of what they need to do to right their ships. They need people to step up and it is motivational techniques like these that have the greatest effect.

Besides, who cares what they have to say about Buffalo?

I don't think it's a slam against Buffalo ---- I think Gruden is simply saying he wants his QB to earn the starting job, not just be handed it.

Hey competition is a good thing. I hope the Bills bring in someone to at least compete for the job in camp, and be able to play if Losman is hurt/fails on the field.

The Redskins once drafted Heath Schuler in the first round --- who was alledgedly the second coming of Jesus at QB ---- and then drafted Gus Frerotte in the seventh round. Gus ended up steal Heath's job, because Schuler was injury prone and stunk.

It could be that Chris Simms sucks.  Good thing Rothlisberger didn't go to the Bucs.

255501[/snapback]

Don't forget that Big Ben got his start when MAddox went down with an injury. Same thing happens in Tampa Bay and Roethlisburger is the star in Tampa. His success had nothing to do with when the coach thought he was ready.

Guest BackInDaDay

255697[/snapback]

Look at it this way.

Like it or not, TD thinks 'outside the box'. Sometimes he leaves both the fans and 'the experts' scratching their heads, but many of his descisions seem to pan out.

Both Jones and Gruden are defending the old NFL mantra which states that young QBs cannot win championships. They both have their own rationale, Jones is 'win now', Gruden's is 'the kid's not ready', but it's their own fault they have no-one to run their O.

Time was, you wouldn't catch much flak signing and starting veteran QBs. The pro season went from Sep to Dec and you never heard a peep about what your team was up to for 9 months. Now the NFL has 24/7/365 exposure to all, and the same safe, conservative stances that have GMs and coaches considering the likes of Bledsoe, Griese, Garcia, Johnson, etc. to guide their teams, is second-guessed ad-nauseam.

As pointed out, JPL was a 1st round pick and 1st round picks have to be given the opportunity to play. If Jones or Gruden had a JP Losman under contract, you bet your a$$ he'd be their '05 starter.

I just gotta ask, what kind of kool-aid is 80% of this board drinking? Sure I'm not at practice everyday or at mini-camp, but J.P. isn't that good at this point in his career. It will be a very rough season to be a Bills fan unless our running game is soooooooooooo good we won't have to rely on JP. If we do, don't count on playoffs, don't count on a winning season either.

255520[/snapback]

Maybe it's the same Kool-aid that TD was drinking when he drafted Willis "stiffarm' McGahee........And don't be so sure that JP can't get the job done. TD and MM have made more good decisions than bad. Besides, sometimes things take you by surprise when you least expect it. For example, my penis is named after the guy in your avatar. Chances are you didn't expect to hear that today, right?

I think this entire quote is being blown out of proportion. Think about it in the following hypothetical. Would it have been a knock on the steelers if TD said the same quote when the media and fans were shouting that Losman should be starting midway through the season (hypothetically saying he was healthy). I think Gruden meant, "Just because another team is going with a second year QB doesn't mean we have to follow suit." I would imagine the climate down in Tampa is that they want Simms to be on the field. I don't think it was a slam against the Bills, the staff, Losman, or anything. Just him saying that we are not going to do what any other team does just because people outside our team are calling for that to happen. Just my 2 cents.